Walking Down The Halbeath Road

Why make such a moronic comment then?

ETA: What daft decisions with the budget? Sometimes I think you can't get any more clueless but then you go and spectacularly prove me wrong.

I think you're perhaps a little to close to the situation to discuss it rationally. Budgeting for a loss was stupid, budgeting for cup runs was a stupid gamble that didn't pay off. Quite galling for the club to then send out pleading emails and posts on the website about the need for people to buy season tickets and join the Lifeline to secure our future.

If it was Masterton & Co making the same calls they would be getting criticism and rightly so. As I've said before, I am a fan of 90% of what the new Board have been doing but that doesn't exempt them from criticism.

Why say it then, other than to draw attention to yourself & try to look important?

It was a joke, calm down. Stop being so defensive.

Edited by Poet of the Macabre

The budget was set before the season began, not after 80 minutes of the tie at Stranraer. These games should never budgeted on, as we could go out in the first game we play.

We shouldn't be 'gambling' at all. That nearly cosy us the club last time out.

How many times must it be said?! They didn't budget for a cup run, it was simply their objective! They are TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.

Direct from the board statement;

" We lost out on a budgeted third Scottish Cup tie, which as it turned out would have increased our income by £100,000. As a result of our disappointing league finish, we will lose out on £50,000 of budgeted income from the football authorities. "

My apologies in that case then. I read somewhere that it was merely an objective. I take it back.

It was. Also from the statement;

" In addition, an agreed, secondary objective was to participate in two games in the Challenge Cup and League Cup and three games in the Scottish Cup."

It's not clear though if they budgeted on all of that or just the Scottish Cup games.

We shouldn't be 'gambling' at all. That nearly cosy us the club last time out.

Calculated gambles are an absolute necessity , what is important is that the gambles aren't excessive and that we are prepared to and can manage the situation should the gamble fail.

I highly doubt the the board were budgeting for a tv tie or even a big crowd from the additional game, we haven't lost out hugly from not reaching that round.

Looking again at the paragraph in the Board statement with most of the financial details:

We lost out on a budgeted third Scottish Cup tie, which as it turned out would have increased our income by £100,000. As a result of our disappointing league finish, we will lose out on £50,000 of budgeted income from the football authorities. Furthermore, £50,000 has been spent on legal fees trying to extricate our club from the lease at Pitreavie. However, the success of the Centenary Club Lifeline, the continuing support of the fans at the gate and better than expected commercial and hospitality income mean that we anticipate a trading loss (before depreciation) this season in the region of £250,000; more or less in line with our budget.

The £250,000 trading loss 'more or less in line with our budget' can only be accurate if the 'better than expected' commercial and hospitality income has been in the region of £150,000, since that is the amount that they expected to gain from the 'budgeted' £50,000 income from a higher league finish, and £100,000 from a third Scottish Cup tie. Otherwise, there's an inherent contradiction in planning for a £250,000 loss, yet claiming to be surprised by £150,000 of that loss. There's also the fact that there were 3 Scottish Cup ties...

I also don't like the fact that a so-called 'community club' is wasting £50,000 of supporters' hard-earned cash on paying legal fees trying to wriggle out of their commitments at Pitreavie, which is an important community facility that has served the Pars well over the years.

The £250,000 trading loss 'more or less in line with our budget' can only be accurate if the 'better than expected' commercial and hospitality income has been in the region of £150,000, since that is the amount that they expected to gain from the 'budgeted' £50,000 income from a higher league finish, and £100,000 from a third Scottish Cup tie. Otherwise, there's an inherent contradiction in planning for a £250,000 loss, yet claiming to be surprised by £150,000 of that loss. There's also the fact that there were 3 Scottish Cup ties...

I also don't like the fact that a so-called 'community club' is wasting £50,000 of supporters' hard-earned cash on paying legal fees trying to wriggle out of their commitments at Pitreavie, which is an important community facility that has served the Pars well over the years.

Strange conclusion to draw on the first part - the statement mentions 3 things that contributed positively, yet you're ignoring two of them and concluding that it was only commercial and hospitality income.

As for the Pitreavie bit, come on. Fife Council were happy for DAFC to end the lease and supported Pars United in the court case when they took that stance. Both obviously wanted rid of Gavin Masterton's influence, and the complexity of the situation meant that it was inevitable that there would be legal costs to have it resolved. I always thought it would only be resolved in court, and was pleased that it didn't have to go that far.

Wasn't a stretch to expect one more round considering we were 2-0 up at 80 minutes gone.

Squad is getting trimmed this season, wasn't a stupid decision to have a big squad imo. It was a gamble that didn't pay off.

We expected to lose around £250k this season and that's more or less on target, being on target with the budget isn't being stupid.

Maybe not, but budgeting to lose quarter of a million while playing in league 1 most certainly is.

On the back of your recent administration it's nothing short of scandalous and should not be allowed.

Incredible. If the Masterton regime had been so reckless after an admin, you would all be frothing at the mouth.

Regarding Pitreavie how can you blame the new regime? Masterton somehow offset its value against his pension and dug his claws in.

I'm not comfortable about the trading loss though, especially when you look at the income made available from the large crowds and fund.

We are spending far more than some championship clubs.

Maybe not, but budgeting to lose quarter of a million while playing in league 1 most certainly is.

On the back of your recent administration it's nothing short of scandalous and should not be allowed.

Incredible. If the Masterton regime had been so reckless after an admin, you would all be frothing at the mouth.

The difference is that the in are not in debt and not spending cash they don't have.

Still shouldn't be budgeting for that kind of loss in League 1 though.

I see Morton have apparently released Jamie McCluskey which is a slight surprise. He is a wide right player and pretty tricky (nicknamed "Jinky" at Cappielow). He can be a bit of a sand dancer in terms of multiple step overs and beating the man twice but he is not a bad player overall at league 1 level. He probably would have found the championship maybe a big step up but he is better than anything I saw in Dunfermline shirt last season in the wide areas. Could do worse.

He isn't though. When he was at us he could actually beat a man, get wide, cut inside, deliver balls into the box and was always a goal threat. Need wide men like him again.