Walking Down The Halbeath Road

To be honest the past two weeks results are not far away from what Ayr have had.

They had a close 1-0 home win against Rovers, we drew 1-1 away to Rovers. We won 2-0 away to Airdrie Utd (aka clydebank) they won 3-0 at home to Airdrie Utd (aka clydebank).

It will be nip and tuck the rest of the way but in the end I think we have the better ability (as we should having more resources) to cope with suspensions and injuries.

It's the performances recently that have worried me. I was there on Saturday and at Cowden, and whilst the performance at Cowden was worse, Saturday was pretty poor as well. It just seemed aimless at times with long balls and a lack of movement off the ball. Everything seemed a bit slower as well.

It's the performances recently that have worried me. I was there on Saturday and at Cowden, and whilst the performance at Cowden was worse, Saturday was pretty poor as well. It just seemed aimless at times with long balls and a lack of movement off the ball. Everything seemed a bit slower as well.

Wasn't at Cowden but thought it was poor on Saturday - reminded me of last season, in a "what do they do in training all week" way. We had wingers but the ball was too slow to get to them, with the exception of Big Ben's miracle ball to Cardle early in the second half (probably a misplaced slide tackle). Not terrible, just frustrating.

We played that way away to AR also tbf and that's not our game at all.

Dropped a bit recently, doesn't seem as effective without Williamson bombing down the outside of him.

Came on as a sub but his crossing both from open play and from the corners was really bad, which is genuinely mental because his crossing has been outstanding most of the season.

I like him, a really classy player who's got the ability to get past a player with some skill/outrageous dribbling.

Would like to see Rooney playing at right back, think they could hit a good understanding.

Why did we start hoofball, anyone know?

Is it because the pitches at Central Park and Cliftonhill are not the best? Instead of just getting on with it, we decide to be more 'direct' (ie lazy hoofballs at wee strikers). Too often there was way to much distance between midfielders and attack. The midfielder or defender would look up and Moff or Faiss would be hidden behind a big defender 50 yards away.

We were always playing hoofball to a sense tbh, Fordyce was mad for a ball in behind the full back, difference was it was working at the start of the season, teams have "sussed" us a bit more since then.

As such the ball in behind the full back doesn't work because teams are sitting deeper, the pitches are a bit heavier so they don't "favour" dribbling as such also, our midfield though needs to step up and start demanding the ball more from the defence.

Our off the ball movement has been poor at Rovers and Cowden, that didn't help.

Is it because the pitches at Central Park and Cliftonhill are not the best? Instead of just getting on with it, we decide to be more 'direct' (ie lazy hoofballs at wee strikers). Too often there was way to much distance between midfielders and attack. The midfielder or defender would look up and Moff or Faiss would be hidden behind a big defender 50 yards away.

Nah. The pitches are still fine for passing the ball. Just a terrible, lazy excuse I'm afraid. I think it's down to lazy movement off the ball as well as some players simply not having the confidence to look for the ball or make a pass or take a man on.

Nah. The pitches are still fine for passing the ball. Just a terrible, lazy excuse I'm afraid. I think it's down to lazy movement off the ball as well as some players simply not having the confidence to look for the ball or make a pass or take a man on.

Can't comment on Rovers until tonight but agree about our playing surface. This season is the best its been for years and looks really good.

I was thinking more of the classic Scottish football cliches. Central Park could be a bowling green but would still be viewed as a 'hard place to go', 'not a surface for playing football' etc. I was 100% sober unfortunately on Saturday and can't remember seeing grass that long on a football pitch. Ball was sticking and bobbling all over. All the more reason to not be trying to hit long balls all the time as we can't win them in the air and when they went along the ground they'd deviate off target. Not blaming the pitch - we had a poor plan that was poorly executed and caused Albion very little trouble.

Agree we've been a sort of long ball team since the start of the season - just doesn't work when the opponents sit as deep as Albion did.

Nah. The pitches are still fine for passing the ball.

A surface can greatly affect how "easy" it is to pass the ball around on the deck. To just simply assume that because there's grass on the pitch then you should be able to knock it around like Barca is in it's own way lazy.

With the benefit of already playing them and probably scouting them as a full time side I failed to see what advantage it brought last Saturday TBH.

So many easy things could have improved our chances.

Kicking it long from the 'keeper. Why? It wasn't working after five mins.

Joe Cardle, runs inside all the time and congests the midfield. He went outside once and crossed it for a chance that should've been put away from Wallace.

Subs, it was so obvious that we needed some fight in midfield. Byrne is not the answer in games like this he is overrun. Falkingham on with twenty minutes or more to go. Surely MAC needed to come on also?

Matching their winger, every time the same ball. We should've been more wise to this and he got in the back of us again and again.

Just simple stuff that should be spotted and corrected. If the pitch is shite then play long balls to MAC and knock them onto Moffat and others. Fais, Bryne and one or two others were as good as a man down on that surface.

So frustrating.