Walking Down The Halbeath Road

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Neither Geggan or Fordyce are anywhere near good enough at full back.

Question marks whether Geggan is good enough at centre mid.

I agree but what else can we do? Ryan is a total abomination of a defender, probably the worst I've ever seen play for the pars.

On a more positive note it's good to see Jason Talbot putting in two very competent performances. Maybe Martin can play right back? I'm at a loss, it's very poor planing from AJ to think somehow that Ryan would work.

I had hoped that we'd have used the Dundee United and Inverness cup games to try out some different formations (4-1-4-1 or 4-3-2-1 probably but maybe also 3 at the back) but instead we've used this open 4-4-2 with no plan B whatsoever and we still haven't learned a thing. There must also be questions asked about his signings. Why no right back? Why only one central midfielder when Falkingham and Graham left (and allowing Spence to go out on loan) when we're moving up a league and not going to be able to dominate possession like we did last season. People groaned when we were linked with Jim Goodwin pre-season before he joined Alloa but he's exactly what we're missing right now IMO.

Maybe Martin can play right back?

He can.

However BRE and Fordyce have been poor so Martin is needing to play center half. Alongside ashcroft we are almost finally getting a competent pairing. Can't play Martin everywhere and you are much better being weak at full back than in the middle.

47 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I had hoped that we'd have used the Dundee United and Inverness cup games to try out some different formations (4-1-4-1 or 4-3-2-1 probably but maybe also 3 at the back) but instead we've used this open 4-4-2 with no plan B whatsoever and we still haven't learned a thing. There must also be questions asked about his signings. Why no right back? Why only one central midfielder when Falkingham and Graham left (and allowing Spence to go out on loan) when we're moving up a league and not going to be able to dominate possession like we did last season. People groaned when we were linked with Jim Goodwin pre-season before he joined Alloa but he's exactly what we're missing right now IMO.

Goodwin ran the game last season when we played midden but he wanted to go part time. I remember him speaking about it on radio Scotland and said that he was very impressed with the setup at Alloa.

Rankine at United might have been another option but he's struggling to get a game at Falkirk so maybe not?

On paper Wedderburn looked good and he's an absolute man mountain but unfortunately very injury prone. From what I've seen a midfield of him and Herron could work. He could be useful at centre half too.  

If you scouted us last week it was painfully obvious that we are very weak at right back and defensive mid plus we are static in midfield. Falkirk had Sibbald, Kerr and Hippolyte. It was game over before kick off. 

Very frustrating to keep loosing so easily and to hear AJ say we need to stop making mistakes every week.

Aye, I wasn't suggesting we should have signed Goodwin once he made it clear he was looking to go part time (and is now in management so fair play) but if we had signed him then I'd have been quite happy, despite some of the mewing about the possibility on here and dotnet. I think we certainly someone of that ilk, but as to who? No clue. 

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

I agree but what else can we do? Ryan is a total abomination of a defender, probably the worst I've ever seen play for the pars.

On a more positive note it's good to see Jason Talbot putting in two very competent performances. Maybe Martin can play right back? I'm at a loss, it's very poor planing from AJ to think somehow that Ryan would work.

Genuinely starting to believe Ryan had your maw, sis and mrs all at once.

This time next year, if he's still here, Martin will be our best defender and quite possibly best player by some distance.

I really, really like Martin, he's not looked out of his depth in any game since making his debut, have a bad feeling we'll lose him for pennies, but if he sticks around for a while he could end up being my new favourite ginger par.

He'll probably end up signing for Dundee/Utd/Hibs or something :(

25 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Martin has potential sorry guys just have to be honest about RW. He can't defend, schoolboy errors every week.

You're not being honest, you're exaggerating to the point of looking like an imbecile, as usual.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

So who is worse? You're just being abusive because you can't back it up with an argument.

Callum Fordyce and Andy Geggan, the only other player who can play there is Martin, he is needed more elsewhere in the defense. How you can target Williamson as a key issue and focus on him so much when you barely touched on Hutton, Fordyce, McCabe, Higginbotham, Moffat, Reilly or even the general lack of confidence, cohesion and sharpness of the tea as a whole is beyond me.

Williamson is excellent going forward and below average defensively, this season is obviously a steep learning curve for him, I have every confidence that he will be able to improve, as he has done throughout his career to at very least competent defensively, removing one of the most promising players to come through our youth system in years because he needs to improve is exactly the kind of mentality that led to us failing to bring through youth players on a regular basis for over a decade.

19 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Highlights show Williamson wasn't at fault for either goal, on the contrary though Talbot is shown up for the first Falkirk goal along with McCabe. 

Geggan not looking clever for the second, although the whole midfield just looks dreadful.

Highlights show Williamson wasn't at fault for either goal, on the contrary though Talbot is shown up for the first Falkirk goal along with McCabe. 

Geggan not looking clever for the second, although the whole midfield just looks dreadful.

Think Higginbotham could have spotted the danger earlier for the first goal, if he had gone into the center quicker he could have been in a position to stop the break away. I know he's got a difficult decision there to abandon his wing and leave the space open but ultimately he made the wrong choice.

For the 2nd Williamson could have tracked the run infield. He however was probably expecting our midfielders to be there and allow him to stay wide.

Neither were the major factor but still contributed to the goal being conceded.