Problem With

This message keeps coming up on my pc, "Windows-virtual memory minimum too low, your system is low on virtual memory, anybody know whats causing it and how can i put it right ?

Cheers in advance.

487036[/snapback]

Do CTRL ALT DELETE together, and then click the tab "System Prcoesses".

It will show you every programme that is running, and how much memory each programme is using. You should see from there what is eating the RAM.

Do CTRL ALT DELETE together, and then click the tab "System Prcoesses".

It will show you every programme that is running, and how much memory each programme is using. You should see from there what is eating the RAM.

487046[/snapback]

I,ve done as you said Ruggy, but how do i stop it from using it up ?

Close some applications for a start might be best. Isn't virtual memory something to do with Windows using a section of your HDD as makeshift memory? It is nowhere near as effective as RAM so performance will suffer.

Close some applications for a start might be best. Isn't virtual memory something to do with Windows using a section of your HDD as makeshift memory? It is nowhere near as effective as RAM so performance will suffer.

487275[/snapback]

Correct, although performance doesnt suffer exactly as every computer does it and it cant be turned off. But it is less effecient than RAM.

CTWD, how confident are you in changing your PC settings? There are lots of sites around that will guide you through increasing your virutal memory (by default its managed by windows, which is crap at it!!) try searching "configure virtual memory" in google.

Other things to do : run scandisk and defragmentor on your main hard drive, check your system tray (bottom right where the clock is) if youve got lots of icons then youve probably got a load of programmes running in the background which dont need to be, and check "start-up" in the program menu, make sure theres nothing there that you dont regularly use.

Finally, if youve got an old-ish PC and your running new games, progs etc then you'll probably need to buy some more RAM ;)

Archived