Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Dumas Club, by Arturo Perez Revérte.

Antiquities dealer found dead in rather suspicious circumstances, Gendarmerie hopeless, so his pals all get together to find out what happened. And to find all his books (which went missing at some unspecified point), including a rather scary Satanic one.

Odd, really, certainly not as good as his La piel del Tambor, but decent anyway.

Read La Piel Del Tambor in the original Spanish, and The Dumas Club in translated English, so the translation may have been a bit off.

5/10, sadly :(

This book was made into a movie directed by Roman Polanski and starring Johhny Depp: The Ninth Gate.

The Devil - Graham Johnson

All about Stephen French, 6 ft 3 former World Karate Champion, Former member of a black panther style organisation in Liverpool, "taxman of the underworld" as the book calls it, ex gangster turned legitimate businessman earning millions.

Easy reading, not going to learn much but a very interesting read nonetheless.

7/10. Downmarked for his self righteous attitude at times.

Recently finished the 2nd Tom Thorne book by Mark Billingham, 'Scaredy Cat', and whilst not as imaginative as 'Sleepy Head', I thought the narrative was more exciting. 8/10.

Currently reading the 3rd one, 'Lazy Bones' which is taking a while to get going.

Incidentally, I see Thorne is coming to the TV screens at the end of the year. They've supposedly signed up David Morrissey to play the detective. He's not how I imagined Thorne at all, although Billingham has said Morrissey was his first choice.

I just got "Fever Pitch" from amazon for my personal study in english. Anyone read this before, is it good ?

It's excellent.

In fact it's so good that many commentators and pundits regard it as the benchmark for football writing in terms of the social perspective, or 'fans eye view' if you like.

Others opine that it's the reason for the gentrification of the people's game, as it's astonishing success brought a generation of the middle classes towards what was formerly a strictly working class sport just at a time when Sky Tv and all the money of satellite broadcasting was changing the game beyond measure forever.

it's a great book, and the films pretty good too, but it's impact and the explosion of copycat books thereafter certainly brought football to those who would never have considered it.

It's excellent.

In fact it's so good that many commentators and pundits regard it as the benchmark for football writing in terms of the social perspective, or 'fans eye view' if you like.

Others opine that it's the reason for the gentrification of the people's game, as it's astonishing success brought a generation of the middle classes towards what was formerly a strictly working class sport just at a time when Sky Tv and all the money of satellite broadcasting was changing the game beyond measure forever.

it's a great book, and the films pretty good too, but it's impact and the explosion of copycat books thereafter certainly brought football to those who would never have considered it.

Cheers, I shall enjoy reading. :D

I'm afraid I veer towards that view. Though I have to say I found it a strangely cold almost emotionless book, I never felt Hornby really liked football. It was a huge disappointment to me as he seemed to catch the mood of the time and be the natural follow on from the good work the fanzines were doing.

I'll be interested to see what someone reading it know for the first time makes of it.0

(Strangely I also thought High Fidelity was cold and emotionless also, yet I loved of About A Boy)

Currently reading "Angel of Death" by Jack Higgins. Now i have read a few of his books over the years (mostly good) but with this one i am in two minds whether to continue or not. I am about 6/7 chapters in so any advice would be great. Also has anyone read Jeffrey Deaver(sp) yet? If yes, which one is a good starting point. Cheers in advance!!!

Just finished "They Called it Passchendaele" by Lyn MacDonald. Very good book about the Third Battle of Ypres in 1917. I'm very interested in the First World War anyway, but I'd recommend this book to anyone as it includes hundreds of eye witness testimonies (it was written in 1978) .

51WDZB9ERWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Finished the third in Mark Billingham's Tom Thorne series, 'Lazy Bones'. A decent enough read, but nowhere near as good as the first two, and the ending seemed a bit rushed, and also helluva unlikely.

6/10

Public Enemies: America's Greatest Crime Wave and the Birth of the FBI, 1933–34

by Bryan Burrough

picked it up from HMV for six quid.brilliant book interweaving the stories of the depression era bank robbers and criminals...Dillinger,Pretty Boy Floyd,Baby Face Nelson,Bonnie and Clyde and the Barker/Karpis gang.

Tells the story in a chronological way detailing the birth of the FBI and its early abuses of power to the eventual capture of Alvin Karpis and the end of the depression.if you've seen the film and like me been badly disappointed,get this book it will more than make up for it.

9/10

Edited by saint dave

Currently on Conn Iggulden's Emperor series. Finished the first book (The Gates of Rome) and moved onto the second (The Death of Kings). Really, really good so far. I'd reccommend the books to anyone, regardless of whethe or not historical fiction's something that you'd usually be into.