The Play-Offs

Skyline Drifter

Which nation would you prefer in the Euro Play-Off?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So which is the best option?

For me the teams can be sorted into three categories, those we definitely don't want, those we fancy our chances against and those against whom we'd be underdogs but not without a chance.

I think we'd get a chasing off Spain, Netherlands or Turkey and wouldn't want any of those.

Whilst I'd accept probably every country is saying they'd like Scotland in the draw, I fancy we'd have a chance against any of Wales, Latvia, Slovenia or maybe Norway.

That leaves Croatia and Russia as nations I'd rather avoid but wouldn't be afraid of playing.

Given ease of travel, and the fact that they seem bang out of form just now I'd take Wales as my first choice though ideally I'd like them to go through too if we are not drawn together.

Latvia for me too. I think Slovenia are a much better team than they are given credit for and I think Wales would beat us too. It will be hard whoever we play and we need a good result in the 1st leg if we are to go through.

Wales haven't won for a long time. I'd fancy us normally, but in the circumstances they may raise their game.

Latvia, Norway, Croatia, Russia, Slovenia or Turkey would be a tie we should have a chance to win.

Guest buddie brilliant

not 2 bothered 2 b honest - preferably sumwhere tht wn't cost an arm n leg 2 get 2 cos i'm still skint after the germany expedition. obv want 2 avoid the likes of turkey but @ the same time i think that we could give anyone a game @ hampden! would jus depend on the away leg!!

Every other country in the play offs will be praying for Latvia. Don't see why we should be any different. Failing that, I would fancy us against Wales. Just pray we don't get Turkey or Spain

Bring one th Welsh!!!!! I reckon we could get a draw down in cardiff and a result at hampden. They've been on a very poor run, i think theyve lost their last 4 competitive games!

And a trip down to cardiff would make for a class night out down there to.

Also i would mind Latvia as they are a team i reckon we could beat.

Guest GordonWatson

Gordy's Play Off Assessment

----------------------------------

Norway - Why not? We always seem to be able to get a draw against Norway, and in keeping with our heroic failure tag, we could lose this one agonisingly on away goals! Seriously, though, nothing to fear here. Norway are a programmed, robotic side, lacking flair. A true battle of attrition this one. Not to be feared.

Slovenia - Yeah, fancy Scotland's chances on this one. However, Slovenia deserve respect. They've played at Euro 2000 and Japan/Korea 2002, so they know their way around the block a bit. Remember we're still a little green around the gills in this discipline. Still, not to be feared!

Holland - Argh, shit. With Dirty Dick Advocaat knowing Scottish football as he does, us having a German manager, and then all the Advocaat versus SFA/SPL history, then this would probably spell 'End Game' for Scotland. And in cruelly ironic circumstances. To be avoided.

Turkey - These guys a bloody brutal, experienced, and nasty. They'd turn Scotland over and it wouldn't be pretty.

Spain - Not a good draw this one. Another 'End Game' scenario.

Latvia - Yeah, bring them on! I'd fancy Scotland to go through if we draw Latvia, even if disaster struck and we lost 1-0 in the away leg, I'd still fancy us. The pessimist in me can't see Lady Luck bestowing us the dream draw, however!

Russia - Not an easy game, but not one to be afraid of. Russia don't like a battle, and again, even if Scotland lost in Moscow, I'd be confident of getting something at Hampden Park. Might be too early in the peice for our team to beat an experienced side like Russia over two legs, but not out of the realms of possibility, either.

Wales - Yeah, I'd take Wales, but be wary of our history of jammy Playoff success against them. In other words, despite their loss of form, they are due to beat us in this format! Could be a very even game, but I think they possess slightly more firepower and experience. Even when Wales lose, they still seem capable of scoring goals.

Croatia - Tough fixture, but not what they once were. They have it over us in experience and technical stakes. Like Russia, there have to be question marks over their desire and bottle for a fight. Tough draw, but not impossible for us.

My prediction: Scotland vs. Holland (Oh no!)

Gordy

Archived