ORIGINS OF NAMES

OldtimeLarky

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was going to post that as well ma auld man told me that years ago :)

Dunipace means hill of peace

If DUNIPACE means Hill of Peace, then it must be the most mis-named place since Dodge City.

" Dun"- gaelic, small hill, " Pace " - Latin, peace.

LARKHALL has variously translated in several languages as

Garden of Eden

Paradise

El Dorado

Shangri-La

The Promised Land

Xanadu

Cmon Larky werewolves mad dicks and Auchinleck in the same sentence wheres the slagging challenge in that one ? we are hardly likely to point out common knowledge

well except for you insulting the women out there, follicly challenged is similar but not the same as werewolves leave the bairdies alone you cruel man lol

RICHARD TALBOT, LORD TYRCONNEL, fought for James 2nd, known as " MAD DICK".

LON CHANEY was JOHN TALBOT in " The Werewolf" - the film kept faithful to the book, same in the recent remake with Anthony Hopkins.

The Talbots were supposed to be aristocracy.

Incidentally, the old gypsy/wise woman in the original who saw the Pentagram on Lon Chaneys hand and told him he was becoming a werewolf was probably Isa.

Craigmark and Burnton are in the parish of Dalmelington. Dalmellington United folded at the end of season 1930/31

Lugar is in the parish of Auchinleck and the name Boswell is from the famous Boswell's of Auchinleck. One of the Boswell daughters married one of the Lords Talbot de Malahidel

Ladeside will be from a mill lade or lead, I think Kilbirinie once played at Milton Park or Mill Road, something like that.

and i thought they came from liverpool

post-26358-0-83048000-1349428446_thumb.j

Steady.

Isa s ma pal.

Shes working on a spell just now to knock you lot oot the cup

a widny worry too much aboot me insulting ISA we traded insults in the past but I think we reached a plateau where we decided there was no point to it.

but a word of warning Old boy should you meet her don't try and slip the haun cos she will think yer trying tae grab her wand and cast her knockout spell on u

From an Old Scots dictionary I found online:

lade: A lade is a watercourse, especially one that carries water to a mill.

The latter is often called a mill lade.

Guess the wee river you cross to get to Valefield from the train station used to have a mill on it...

Nearly correct my friend, the lade ran through the field at the original ground in Mill Road, which not surprisingly now house a housing estate on it called Ladeside Gardens

If DUNIPACE means Hill of Peace, then it must be the most mis-named place since Dodge City.

Garden of Eden

Paradise

El Dorado

Shangri-La

The Promised Land

Xanadu

Wallace rested at the hil of peace while some auld rascal fae Larky called Hughie Kerr kept an eye oot for him

There used to be a Brechin Matrix, any ideas on that one?

And what about Aberdeen Cattofield, and Sunnybank?

Keep them coming.

Cattofield and Sunnybank are districts in Aberdeen. Although Sunnybank is usually taken as Heathryfold (Pronounced Heatherleyfold)

Think that Matrix was a factory in Brechin, they may have been a 'works' team.

That is correct. The old Matrix factory is still an employer in Brechin but may have a different name these days.

Think the Montrose Roselea one is correct and the Rose is is the towns embelm. Certainly nothing to do with Gypsies although they were homless in the early 80s!

That is correct. The old Matrix factory is still an employer in Brechin but may have a different name these days.

Think the Montrose Roselea one is correct and the Rose is is the towns embelm. Certainly nothing to do with Gypsies although they were homless in the early 80s!

Dream name.

Aye , but Wallace was fae Glen Afton :)

http://newcumnock.wo...illiam-wallace/

Common history says Elderslie, but I notice signs in East Ayrshire saying " Birthplace of William Wallace". What evidence backs this up?

It will determine whether he turned out for the Glens or Johnstone Burgh.

Certainly got a transfer to Lanark Utd, though, that is definite.

Common history says Elderslie, but I notice signs in East Ayrshire saying " Birthplace of William Wallace". What evidence backs this up?

It will determine whether he turned out for the Glens or Johnstone Burgh.

Certainly got a transfer to Lanark Utd, though, that is definite.

Sorry, missed link, interesting.

Garden of Eden

Paradise

El Dorado

Shangri-La

The Promised Land

Xanadu

I believe it goes back to roman times.Bearing in mind how close we are to the Antonine wall,there were a lot of battles between the the local clans and the roman sojers.A truce was declared by the high heid centurion and the leader of the young team.To mark the truce,two man made hills were built by each side.Both mounds are out at what is now the Hills of Dunipace cemetery....the hills of peace.

Archived