ORIGINS OF NAMES

OldtimeLarky

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read somewhere that Auchinleck played Lugar for the right to use the name Boswell.

Highhouse Rangers a team in Auchinleck named after the Highouse Pit played Lugar for the right to use the name Boswell, after James Boswell, and Lugar won. Then Talbot came about, named after Lord Talbot De Malahide who owned the ground and gifted it to us.

Is Glasgow Perthshire named after some kind of society?

Bang on. There were apparently a lot of these societies for people who moved to the cities from various parts of the country, I suppose most of them gradually faded away as the new arrivals integrated into their new surroundings after a while. There's still a shinty team on the go called Glasgow Mid Argyll as well.

Bang on. There were apparently a lot of these societies for people who moved to the cities from various parts of the country, I suppose most of them gradually faded away as the new arrivals integrated into their new surroundings after a while. There's still a shinty team on the go called Glasgow Mid Argyll as well.

Good post.

Most of the locals now dont look like fresh-faced Highlanders though.

I asked a local of Dalmellington about the name Craigmark Burntonians when we played them a few years ago. Craigmark and Burnton are both former miners rows just outside the town, and they formed a team between them. The only land they could play on was in Dalmellington, and when the pits closed the football team lived on, retaining the name and history of the former industry in the area.

Rutherglen Glencairn are named after the house in Burnside where the club's founders met for their first meeting.

Cmon Larky werewolves mad dicks and Auchinleck in the same sentence wheres the slagging challenge in that one ? we are hardly likely to point out common knowledge

well except for you insulting the women out there, follicly challenged is similar but not the same as werewolves leave the bairdies alone you cruel man lol

Steady.

Isa s ma pal.

Shes working on a spell just now to knock you lot oot the cup

Rutherglen Glencairn are named after the house in Burnside where the club's founders met for their first meeting.

Rob Roy was founded in 1878 by a group of young men from the Eastside district of Kirkintilloch and was named after a by then defunct Perthshire Curling Club.

Their colours are the colours of the Rob Roy McGregor Tartan - Red & Black. :smartass

Arthurlie were founded in 1874 and were named after a hamlet called Arthurs Meadow which was one of the original hamlets way back that merged with others to form the town of Barrhead.

I asked a local of Dalmellington about the name Craigmark Burntonians when we played them a few years ago. Craigmark and Burnton are both former miners rows just outside the town, and they formed a team between them. The only land they could play on was in Dalmellington, and when the pits closed the football team lived on, retaining the name and history of the former industry in the area.

I never knew that, always wondered.

I figured it might have some connection with the old Glencairn Earldom.

Rob Roy was founded in 1878 by a group of young men from the Eastside district of Kirkintilloch and was named after a by then defunct Perthshire Curling Club.

Their colours are the colours of the Rob Roy McGregor Tartan - Red & Black. :smartass

Was going to post that as well ma auld man told me that years ago :)

Dunipace means hill of peace

Archived