P&B's Top 30 Electronic Music Albums

Colin M

Had a handful of voters so far, hoping for many more over the next week or two. A great range of albums nominated even in just a few votes, some I know well and some I've never heard. Looking forward to seeing how it takes shape!

There have been some fabulous suggestions and lists, I think from the first 6 voters there are already 55 different albums nominated! A couple of early favourites emerging but at the moment it's a wide open field. More votes please!

My own shortlist is sitting at 13 just now so nearly there.

Does that rule out New Order's 'Substance', despite it being a collection of (mostly) non-album singles and b-sides?

No, I'd rule it in personally. I guess the no compilations rule is just to stop any "The Best Of" type albums being voted for. Things like Substance take on a life of their own as albums in my opinion.

I'd also rule out multi-artist compilations like "Artificial Intelligence" or "Trance Europe Express", even though they are seen as important albums in the development of the music. Which is a shame but maybe there'll be a Top 30 Compilations and Mix Albums at a later date.

Tiesto

After browsing the 'Dance Songs' thread earlier I ended up linked to DJ Mag's Top 100 DJ poll results. I haven't paid much attention to such things in the past few years but it's amazing how all these Euro trance-chancers have come to prominence.

[moaning old clubber] The times have truly changed when Armin Van fucking Burrin of all people is regarded as the number one DJ in the world by people who vote in these polls. That c**t's not fit to carry a former poll winner like Sasha's record bag. You kids don't know you're born, back in the day, etc etc [\moaning old clubber].

After browsing the 'Dance Songs' thread earlier I ended up linked to DJ Mag's Top 100 DJ poll results. I haven't paid much attention to such things in the past few years but it's amazing how all these Euro trance-chancers have come to prominence.

[moaning old clubber] The times have truly changed when Armin Van fucking Burrin of all people is regarded as the number one DJ in the world by people who vote in these polls. That c**t's not fit to carry a former poll winner like Sasha's record bag. You kids don't know you're born, back in the day, etc etc [\moaning old clubber].

^^ This, I don't think I've got an Album released after the year 2000 on my list. Pesky kids!

Do compilations count?

In general, no - certainly not multi-artist compilations.

If it's a collection of non-album singles gathered "as an album" then that would be fine. (Example of New Order's "Substance" given earlier, which I'd say is fine).

No mix albums - possible exceptions for eg Villalobos or Omar-S Fabric Mixes where it's all artist only material. It would need to be widely considered as an artist album.

It's basically to try and avoid any "Best of Tiesto" type nominations!