MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Right. Not got the time to watch the prelims so it's going to be main card only.

Travis Browne vs. Cain Velasquez

Actually thought Browne did well to stay in the fight as long as he did. From the first time Velasquez rocked him, Browne was in deep shite, and his defence on the ground was decent to keep Velasquez at bay. Why is Rogan saying he doesn't do wheel kicks btw? Does he not remember what caused his downfall in the Werdum fight? Velasquez did a great job here though and looked every bit the contender that he is.

Frankie Edgar vs. Jose Aldo

This is the fight I've been wanting to see more than any other this week. What a great performance from Aldo. The first round was a bit iffy until you realise that he simply spent the round finding his range, and when he eventually did, the results were pretty much instant. For all of Edgar's movement, Aldo just kept on catching him coming in and credit has to go to HIS movement. Especially some great moments in the fourth round when Edgar was hitting nothing but air. Edgar had a decent idea to just try and grind it in the third and I think he should have kept at that in the championship rounds. But he didn't and allowed Aldo to take control of things. A great performance worthy of a champion.

Anderson Silva vs. Daniel Cormier

I don't really blame Cormier for fighting the way he did tbh. I agree with what he was saying about switching opponents on two days notice especially with the devastation that came with it. So just get in there, win the fight and get gone and don't f**k about. Especially with someone with the skills that Anderson Silva has. Just a horrendous watch though.

Mark Hunt vs. Brock Lesnar

One of the most anticipated fights of the year for sure. Probably more for the curiosity of how Lesnar would do on his return than anything else. And he did okay. Is the idea of Brock beating Hunt still funny to some on here? Given that the decision wasn't even close? A potentially dangerous fight and he ended up strolling it. Looked tired in the second round but it didn't appear to do much. The one big problem was that he was allowing Hunt to get to close. Especially right before the last takedown, but I guess those two things are probably linked a bit, especially with his failure to take down Hunt in the second.

Amanda Nunes vs. Miesha Tate

That title is getting passed around like a joint these days. She gave Tate an absolute doing there. Not much else to be said!

I woke up at half 3 this morning so just stuck this on instead of going back to sleep. Wasn't any great fights but decent enough. Someone told me Brock didn't have to get any drugs tests done, was that true?

No.
As retired athlete who's making a comeback he was required to give the USDA four months notice prior to a comeback fight. That was waived because the time he signed for the fight didn't allow for that. Once signed he's subject to the same in and out of competition testing as everyone else.
Also having been in the WWE for the last 3 years or whatever I imagine he's also subject to stringent testing. The fact that they just suspended their top guy for failing a test would suggest they also take testing seriously.

He was tested six times in the 3-4 weeks before the fight. He's clearly full of steroids but had managed to flush them before USADA started testing them (imo).

Love the fightin'. Enjoyed the card a lot. Yellow Octagon was a bit cool anaw.

Ended up with a nice profit off a 4 fold of Velasquez, DC, Aldo and Brock. Aldo and Brick over evens which I think was very generous.

Cashed out another on method of victory as well which turned out to be correct although after I hit the button it looked like Brock was about to get a knockout that would have been worth a lot more.

Bisping v Hendo at 204 then. Wrong fight but an interesting one. Fancy Bisping to best a clean Hendo.

Henderson is definitely the wrong call for a title shot, but I'm not surprised it's Henderson because it's probably the biggest fight they can make for the title at this point. There's some serious bad blood there and the build up should be a lot of fun.

Caught up with all of this throughout the day, thought it was all a bit 'meh'. I've never seen a Lesnar UFC fight so I was looking forward to it and then immediately was disappointed with the lack of suplexes (I'd be keen to see him fight again though). The Cormier fight was dreadful but it wasn't his fault. Really enjoyed the Edgar and Aldo fight and Northcutt breaking the armbar. 

Prelims were really good, no finishes which is weird, the pre prelims had 3 1st round ko's! Haven't seen them yet though.

Got up early with my youngest, got her ipad on for her (which I watch ufc fightpass on sometimes) and seen a notification about brock lesnar, kind of ruined it for me as I'd guessed he'd won when I seen his name mentioned.

Aldo looked really good, the fight with McGregor will be much better this time and wouldn't want to pick a winner just now, will see how McGregors chin holds up against Diaz this time. Cormier did what he had to, fair enough I say.

Brock looked much better than I expected, fucked up every bet I had on, even a 4 and 5 fold :(

What a difference a bit of colour to the fighters shorts made, really sick of the Black/white shite they've been wearing for a while now, golden canvas was quite cool aswell.