MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Right, the prelims first.

James Moontsari vs. Cody Pfister

Moontsai has come in overweight for this. Not a very good impression to make in only your second fight for the promotion. He WILL have made a good impression as far as how good he looked goes though. His timing with the striking was absolutely brilliant. He just picked his shots right from the start and kept finding them. Pfister did well to even stay in the fight in the first as he took an absolute pasting, but Moontsari was too good in the end. Fun stuff to open the night.

Zach Makovsky vs. Timothy Elliott

Looks like this might be a bit of an important fight as far as rankings goes, with both guys right next to each other. This is a fun fight. Elliott didn't necessarily look bad here, but Makovsky looked excellent. Especially on the ground where he took control every single time. Some really nice technique as far as being able to keep control in top position, and also to reverse position and look for submissions. Everything he was doing was top notch and Elliott couldn't do much to answer it. Elliott's ending attempt to finish things was too little too late, but was still pretty good to watch as well. Good fight, mainly to see Makovsky.

Chas Skelly vs. Jim Alers

Thought Skelly was playing a dangerous game for a while in this fight. He was coming more and more into it with his striking, but then kept going for the takedown, where Alers could be more dangerous. It ended up not being costly for him though as he wound up ending the fight on the feet with an illegal knee right in front of the referee which he didn't call. Poor stuff really.

Efrain Escudero vs. Rodrigo De Lima

Pretty impressive stuff from Escudero here. He basically did his best to be all over De Lima. De Lima did make things far too easy for him on the feet though, giving Escudero a static target much of the time, and he took full advantage of that, firing off lefts and rights. De Lima didn't really offer enough resistance in the second and third rounds. He basically just took what Escudero had to throw and there was nowhere near enough of a response.

Fun stuff there actually! If you haven't watched the prelims, give them a go.

Right, the main show now!

Ray Borg vs. Chris Kelades

A pretty dominant display from Ray Borg in this one, and getting the finish will probably help him in the long run as well, as it was beginning to look like a simple decision victory, but he got the arm and got the submission against a guy who is apparently no slouch on the ground. Very good performance.

Michel Prazeres vs. Kevin Lee

One of those fights where it looks like there's a lot going on, but the whole thing is just incredibly dull. Prazares seeming to be a step behind Lee didn't help, and Lee didn't set the heather alight himself, and so while Lee did win, I didn't think he looked impressive doing so. Not a good 15 minutes.

Daniel Kelly vs. Patrick Walsh

This Fight Night continues to throw out the big names. Kelly is apparently pretty upset about Walsh not making weight. I'm surprised fighters don't come out and say that more often. This was sloppy as hell from start to finish. Some proper amateur hour stuff at times. There may have been a winner in this fight, but it sure as hell wasn't the people watching. I wouldn't trust one of these guys to fight CM Punk, let alone guys with some actual experience in the octagon.

Neil Magny vs. Kiichi Kunimoto

Good to see two guys that fight like actually professional MMA fighters in the octagon this time. Magny got better and better as the fight went on. I actually thought he had Kunimoto finished but his own slip caused it to not happen. He got it done eventually though. It was a good dominant and impressive performance from Magny who has got a wee streak going.

Max Holloway vs. Cole Miller

Miller's shorts are... interesting. Miller was eating some big shots in this fight. Including a headbutt which cut his eyebrow. Even when Miller was coming forward, it was Holloway that was handing out some hurt, and he mixed things up well. The headbutt was unfortunate but I'm not sure it changed anything, as Holloway was picking shots. Anik said it was even going into the third, and while that was true, I don't think anyone else was ever winning that last round. Reasonable fight. Also like the idea of Swanson vs. Holloway.

Benson Henderson vs. Brandon Thatch

While I always enjoy watching Bendo's fights, I've grown a real dislike for the guy. Can't deny the guy's skill though. I love a fight with a big atmosphere and the fans were right behind Thatch here, and he looked really good for some of this fight, which was good to see. A showing against someone like Benson Henderson will impress people, no matter how the fight ended. Unfortunately, when you come up against someone who has the skill set that Bendo has, there's always the chance that you're going to get caught at some point, and that's exactly what happened here.

The show got better as it went on I guess.

That takedown in the 4th from Henderson......wow. Really pleased to see him win for some reason, looked too small at the start i thought but once he got into it looked good. Can't imagine he'll stay at WW mind.

My favourite fight for a while, rest of the card was meh.

Wish i hadn't deleted the prelims before reading domdoms review!

Big Brock Lesnar showing up.

I find it somewhat dubious that he is umming and awwing over a deal following the announcement of the new drug testing. Nor do I believe, or want to think, he can beat Valuesquez. Assuming the glass made warrior returns soon.