MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

Looking back at the 2014 year end reviews we done...

These were my 2015 predictions, let's see how i did...

"One to watch in 2015 - Mikhail Mokhnatkin" - Not as much progress as i'd envisaged for Mikhail, just the two fights in 2015, but two finishes. Still fighting in Russia but hopefully see him step up to a bigger profile organisation soon.

"Three bold predictions for 2015 - 1. Jones vs Cormier is FOTY contender 2. Conor McGregor finishes Jose Aldo 3. No UFC title changes in 2015 outwith feather." 1-Not quite. 2-And how! 3-Way off in a title change galore year

And let's do it again...

Fighter of the year 2015 - Conor McGregor

Female fighter of the year 2015 - Holly Holm (Maybe tough on Jedrzejczyk but the destruction of Rousey elevates Holm to the spot)

European fighter of the year 2015 - Tom Duquesnoy (BAMMA featherweight champion, two succesful and impressive defences this year, would love to see him in the States)

Best fight of the year 2015 - Aldo vs McGregor (yep i'm going there. For the sheer anticipation, cancellation, rematched as interim vs champion, the pressers, then THAT finish. Technically you can say it was barely a fight but i'm having it)

Worst fight of the year 2015 - Silva vs Diaz (disappointing for the hype involved, and then the car crash of the drug tests afterwards just made this an utter turkey)

Round of the year 2015 - Jedrzejczyk vs Esparza round 2 (Feel bad for not giving Joanna the female fighter of the year so will give her this. An absolute destruction of Carla Esparza's face)

KO of the year 2015 - Conor McGregor vs Mendes (For the sheer precision in his hands after being on his back taking a beating in a losing round)

Submission of the year 2015 - Ronda Rousey vs Zingano

Comeback of the year 2015 - Andrei Arlovski (Used this as a "come from behind to win" category last year but going to change it up this year to give it to this guy, a sensational renaissance for him. I know he started this current win streak in '14 but the guys he's beat this year puts him in the running for a title shot)

Breakthrough fighter of 2015 - Thomas Almeida (Three wins, three KO's, three performance bonuses. 20-0)

Upset of the year - Holly Holm knocking out Ronda Rousey

One to watch in 2016 - Luke Sanders

Three bold predictions for 2016 - 1. Condit vs Lawler is FOTY contender 2. Vitor Belfort wins UFC Middleweight Championship 3. Rory MacDonald wins UFC Welterweight Championship

One to watch in 2015 - not UFC but I'd imagine both Alex Enlund and Stevie Ray will hit the shiny lights of the UFC in the next twelve months. Ray especially assuming the UFC finally comes to Scotland as strongly rumoured. Although UFC Scotland was "strongly rumoured" last year so I remain sceptical.

Three bold predictions for 2015 - 1. Anderson Silva will get ko'd by Diaz and then retire.

2. McGregor will win the title convincingly.

Enlund's career was somewhat stalled by Cage Warriors taking a hiatus although did win two fights on smaller promotions, including submitting a solid black belt. He really should be given a fight on the London UFC card. Was correct about Ray at least who I reckon may just about break into top ten.

First bold prediction was fucking stupid and unsure what I was huffing when trotting that one out. Pretty much bang on with prediction two.

Three bold predictions for 2016.

1. Tim Kennedy will get a shot at the title.

2. McGregor will win the lightweight title within two rounds.

3. Hendricks will make weight at his next fight.

Edited by mrcat1990

Fighter - McGregor.

Female fighter - Jedrzejczyk, perhaps unfair on Holm.

Fight - Lawler v McDonald for the brutality / Maia v Nelson for the beauty

Worst (Letdown) - Silva v Diaz, no contest

Round - McGregor v Mendes Round 2.

KO - Almeida v Pickett

Comeback - Ceronne & Arlovski

2016 Bold Predictions - Cormier beats Jones; McGregor dual-weight champ with 1+ defence; Holm dethroned by someone other than Rousey

How does Bisping get a fight like that?

Shocking decision.

You think? It's the London card, Bisping is ranked 7th and Anderson is what... 40? And coming off a very uninspiring fight with Diaz where he was done for PEDs. I think it's about the right fight.

Anyone catch the first RIZIN even yesterday? Top notch fun, have missed the Japanese MMA scene.

The Last Emperor Fedor fights a former K1 champ kickboxer but otherwise predicted as a can in tomorrow's main event.

I'm still struggling to see why anyone gives a f**k about Fedor in 2015.

I only got into the sport a couple of years ago and there was such a mystique surrounding this fabled 'Fedor' that I ended up looking up most of his old fights and a couple of documentaries and stuff. So, for me personally, I'm quite excited to watch him for the first time. I know his last half a dozen fights suggested he was way past it but I'm still looking forward to it.