MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I'm not generalising all MMA or wrestling fans here by any means. I'd say it's fairly common knowledge both sports have a redneck/fratbrah thicko element of their US fanbase. Even yourself as a wrestling fan can see how from an MMA perspective this news is utterly meh.

The number of people completely failing to understand why the UFC have signed Punk is astounding.

Crying that Punk has taken a spot from "guys who deserve is much more" and only got it "because of his name" is the calling card of a complete thicko.

If he wasn't a well known wrestler with zero mma fights and only a history of grappling training, would he still have been signed? The answer is pretty obvious. If I'm completely missing the point on this one then please explain further.

It's not a move I'm against, it's just news that I couldn't care about.

The bigger picture is that the UFC will probably get more fans in and therefore bigger revenue along with CM Punk will get a new challenge. Whether he suceeds or not remains to be seen. This isn't a move to appease guys like me and that's fair enough.

Edited by mrcat1990

Yeah, Lesnar made his reputation in WWE and enhanced it in UFC, but he was definitely a big deal before crossing over. Punk has made his name in wrestling (not just wwe) but I doubt hell have the same impact or enhancement to his career that Lesnar enjoyed.

Sorry I'm a week behind, but which of rounds 2 and 3 did that mental case judge give to Lawler? I had it 48-47 Hendricks, gave Lawler 1 and 5, and I could see round 4 at an absolute stretch but 2 and 3 were so clearly for Hendricks. Ridiculous scorecard.

I had it 48-47 with JDS winning the last three rounds. I could see an argument for him getting the 1st round too, so for me it's nowhere near the Hendrick/Lawler rounds 2&3 debacle. Junior looked stiff and energy-less, I'm wondering if the Velasquez beatings have taken it's toll mentally.

Dos Anjos was awesome. Loved the way Diaz was winding him the fcuk up in the final round from his guard, clearly rattled Dos Anjos that he couldn't finish him or make him give up.

Esparza was impressive as fcuk against an agile, aggressive Rose. Really entertaining 1st round.

Oh, and Overroids just doesn't look comfortable in the cage to me, either during the announcements or the fight itself. Nice finish, mind, but still hard to see where he goes from here. Struve was abysmal, didn't even try to strike.

Edited by banana

I reckon more people knew him as Brock Lesnar from the WWE. UFC has nowhere near the interest or fan base as WWE. At least CM Punk has got some genuine credentials about him for MMA.

What credentials does he have? Is he not a white / blue belt in BJJ? Does he have any other combat sports experience?

Brock was a high level college wrestler.

What credentials does he have? Is he not a white / blue belt in BJJ? Does he have any other combat sports experience?

Brock was a high level college wrestler.

Don't quote me on this but I've heard he was a bit higher than a blue belt and he also has Muay Thai or some other experience.

If this is true then he's obviously had a punch of two in the puss and could possibly look after himself on the ground. Along with the fact he's been a WWE superstar, he'll put bums on seats and sell PPV's.

Good luck to the guy. I've not had the channels that show the UFC for a while as I was getting bored with it, so sometimes things like this give it a bit of an injection.

He's a white belt who rates himself "at around purple belt level". One of the most ridiculous statement I've heard in a while.If the segment of him kicking the bag backstage a few years ago in WWE are anything to go by he's barely ever done any Thai.

As I said. I only heard this. Surely though the UFC aren't going to stick a high profile person like him in a cage for cannon fodder.

It would be a bit of an expensive venture for them to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Right. That's a wrap for 2014 AND 2015 kicks off with a bang.

Who ya got?

Fighter of the year 2014 - Robbie Lawler

Female fighter of the year 2014 - Ronda Rousey

European fighter of the year 2014 - Conor McGregor

Best fight of the year 2014 - Jose Aldo vs Chad Mendes

Worst fight of the year 2014 -Brendan Schaub vs Andre Arlovski

Round of the year 2014 - Matt Brown vs Erik Silva Round 1

KO of the year 2014 - Dong Hyun Kim vs John Hathaway

Submission of the year 2014 - Ben Saunders omoplata against Chris Heatherly.

Comeback of the year 2014 - Matt Brown vs Erik Silva

Breakthrough fighter of 2014 - Rafael dos Anjos

Upset of the year - TJ Dillashaw defeat Renan Barao.

One to watch in 2015 - Kelvin Gastelum

Three bold predictions for 2015 - 1. Chris Weidman will not be the middleweight champion by January 1st 2016. 2. Kelin Gastelum gets in to title contention by the end of the year. At least top 3 in the rankings. 3. Conor McGregor looses to Jose Aldo and moves to lightweight.

Give your and discuss.

I didn't get BT Sport till September so missed a shit load of fights, will however go by what I've seen.

Fighter of the year 2014 - Bobby Sapp LOLO. Sorry. Anyway got to be Weidman for me.

Female fighter of the year 2014 - Ronda Rousey. Who else?

European fighter of the year 2014 - Conor McGregor. Loved him in Cage Warriors and now he has a great platform to be a superstar.

Best fight of the year 2014 - Werdum V Hunt UFC 180.

Worst fight of the year 2014 - n/a. A few bored me but I quickly forgot about them due to being boring.

Round of the year 2014 - Lawler V Hendricks UFC 171 - round 3

KO of the year 2014 - Mark Hunt v Roy Nelson.

Submission of the year 2014 - n/a

Comeback of the year 2014 - Matt Brown, before taking that one fight too far.

Breakthrough fighter of 2014 - Conor Mcgregor. Aye, aye I know he started his UFC career in 2013, but what a huge year for him.

Upset of the year - TJ Dillashaw v Barao. No contest.

One to watch in 2015 - not UFC but I'd imagine both Alex Enlund and Stevie Ray will hit the shiny lights of the UFC in the next twelve months. Ray especially assuming the UFC finally comes to Scotland as strongly rumoured. Although UFC Scotland was "strongly rumoured" last year so I remain sceptical.

Three bold predictions for 2015 - 1. Anderson Silva will get ko'd by Diaz and then retire.

2. McGregor will win the title convincingly.

Going on from this, what we all feeling for Cormier v Jones? Going for Jones by ko. Boring choice but seems the likely outcome.