MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

I see Aldo chopping that lead leg of McGregor out from under him. He is tailor made for some Aldo leg kicks.

Agree to a point.

McGregor is a southpaw, Aldo's main kicking weapon comes through his right leg. That is, Aldo usually excels at outside leg kicks rather than inside. He'll have to be wary of damaging his own foot if attacking McGregor's lead leg with his right. Also, McGregor like everyone else in MMA will be well aware of Aldo's kicking proficiency and will no doubt prepare and plan. McGregor also has outstanding countering, so he can follow Mendes' example and clock Aldo from the outset every time he tries the kicking game.

I reckon McGregor has two ways to win. 1) HARD pressure from the opening bell, KO Aldo using his very considerable power. 2) Avoid those leg kicks as much as possible, score points in the opening 3 rounds and take Aldo deep, where he usually starts gassing. Then apply massive pressure.

Aldo still the strong favourite in my book, though.

I'll never understand people not getting that MMA, like boxing, is an entertainment sport. They're going to make the fights that make most people reach for their wallet, whether they're fully "deserving" of a certain fight or not.

Conor McGregor is a big star for UFC just now and they're completely right to be making the most of it. They don't have enough big names to squander it.

Dennis Siver FFS. Dennis Siver.

The fight is in Vegas when confirmed.

To be fair, Sivers 2 defeats in his last 10 were against cerrone and Swanson, he's not exactly a can.

McGregor is getting the title fight for 2 simple reasons:

1) He is HOT with the general public/ people who have no real interest in MMA meaning he will bring in BIG money.

2) everyone else in the division who 'deserves' a shot has already had it and failed. Apart from, maybe, Swanson - but he couldn't beat Edgar so why should he get a shot ahead of McGregor.

It makes sense in pretty much every way for McGregor to get this fight.

FWIW, I think Aldo is a different beast to anyone in the division and will cause McGregor serious problems, not saying he will walk right through him, but he will still go in as 1/2 favourite.

Yes, the same Dennis Siver thats fought in the Ufc for forever. At lightweight for most of it.

I get your point though...

Nothing you said there says that he shouldn't be getting fucked rotten by any half decent fighter. That said, the win over Poirier. Not bad. Edited by NewDomDom

Just watching the main event now, I know what happens but it felt like a massive, massive fight during the entrances. I'm fully in board with McGregor, he has looked incredible in every UFC fight and has now embarrassed two of the top ten. Folk just seem to want a moan for the sake of it. I still think Aldo will win because he won't be walked down, the way he controls the cage is underrated and I don't think he'll be intimidated.

Cerrone-Henderson was a sparring match, I love the two of them but that was pretty poor. Crap card in general really apart from the main event. The Pendred decision is one of the worst I've seen in a long time.

I've acknowledged that McGregor could well beat Aldo as I think he's capable, and I've acknowledged that the win over Poirier was impressive. Just noting that his showing against Siver meant absolutely f**k all, and shouldn't be used as evidence as pretty much anything.

I think they have to give McGregor the title fight now to cash in on the hype around him.

It they put him in against someone like Edgar and he lost they would lose out on a hell of a lot ppv sales.

I think he could give Aldo a serious test but I'd still have Aldo as favourite.