A Change To The Playoffs In England

A lot of people moan about how the playoffs in England are unfair and should be scrapped but I there are exciting and almost a neccesity in a league of 24.

So what I would do is add another two playoff spots so there was six teams in them (places 3 to 8 in the Coca Cola Championship). The teams who finished 3rd and 4th would get a bye, 5th would play 8th at home, 6th would play 7th at home... winners go through obviously.

The 3rd place team would then play the lowest seeds remaining at home, the 4th placed team the other winners from the first round. Winners go through to the final at Cardiff/Wembley.

This would mean that there would still be five games in the playoff but it would also give the teams who finished higher up in the league a bigger advantage.

Thoughts?

A lot of people moan about how the playoffs in England are unfair and should be scrapped but I there are exciting and almost a neccesity in a league of 24.

So what I would do is add another two playoff spots so there was six teams in them (places 3 to 8 in the Coca Cola Championship). The teams who finished 3rd and 4th would get a bye, 5th would play 8th at home, 6th would play 7th at home... winners go through obviously.

The 3rd place team would then play the lowest seeds remaining at home, the 4th placed team the other winners from the first round. Winners go through to the final at Cardiff/Wembley.

This would mean that there would still be five games in the playoff but it would also give the teams who finished higher up in the league a bigger advantage.

Thoughts?

528897[/snapback]

There was talk about introducing it but never went through.

Apart from the lowest seed thing. Would 3rd not play the winner of 5th-6th playoff?

Why change what isnt broken?

529201[/snapback]

But it isn't particularly fair on the 3rd place team... they get absolutely no advantage from finishing 3rd other than playing the 6th place team - which isn't a guaranteed advantage.

If you had six teams in the playoffs, the 3rd place team would get a reward for finishing above the other five teams in the playoffs.

There was talk about introducing it but never went through.

Apart from the lowest seed thing. Would 3rd not play the winner of 5th-6th playoff?

529280[/snapback]

5th wouldn't play 6th...

It would be

First Round:

5th vs 8th

6th vs 7th

Second Round:

3rd vs lowest remaining seed (couldn't be 5th)

4th vs highest remaining seed (couldn't be 8th)

Final:

The winners of the the second round games.

I thought I heard a few managers or pundits talking about reducing the number of teams in the play-offs last season. The third place team would automatically go into the final and third and fourth would play a two-legged tie to decide who meets them.

I think it was due to the fact that the 6th place team often ends up winning the third promotion place.

I agree that the playoffs can be some of the most exciting nerve wracking matches of the season, but, at the end of the day are they fair ??

West Ham finished 6th in the table and got up, maybe the 3rd 4th and 5th teams all had injuries or suspensions to deal with, if i supported the 3rd place team who for instance had finished 10 or 12 points clear of the 6th placed team, i,d be gutted not to get up

As someone else said, if it aint broke why fix it ??

Guest thefamousphilosifer

I think the way Shetlandbairn described is semi sensible, but why don't the 4th place team get an advantage over 5th and 6th, and 5th an advantage over 6th etc. If we went like that we'd have the whole league in the play offs.

I'm not a fan of the play offs at all, why should the team that finishes 6th get promoted when 3rd place( as well as 4th and 5th) doesn't. Its not fair. a 46 game season shouldn't come down to 2 or 3 games at the end of it, no matter how much excitement it gives the fans.

I agree that the playoffs can be some of the most exciting nerve wracking matches of the season, but, at the end of the day are they fair ??

West Ham finished 6th in the table and got up, maybe the 3rd 4th and 5th teams all had injuries or suspensions to deal with, if i supported the 3rd place team who for instance had finished 10 or 12 points clear of the 6th placed team, i,d be gutted not to get up

As someone else said, if it aint broke why fix it ??

531404[/snapback]

Your last sentence almost completely contradicts your first two. :huh:

I think the way Shetlandbairn described is semi sensible, but why don't the 4th place team get an advantage over 5th and 6th, and 5th an advantage over 6th etc. If we went like that we'd have the whole league in the play offs.

531865[/snapback]

The teams that finish higher in the league get to play at home in a one off game... that's the advantage. ;)

Thoughts?

528897[/snapback]

This is very similar to the NFL playoff system with the 'Wildcard' round before the official play-offs begin. I think this would be a fairer system as the teams that finish 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th would have to get through 3 rounds to make it to the Premiership, while the 3rd and 4th place teams would only have to get through 2 rounds.

This is very similar to the NFL playoff system with the 'Wildcard' round before the official play-offs begin. I think this would be a fairer system as the teams that finish 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th would have to get through 3 rounds to make it to the Premiership, while the 3rd and 4th place teams would only have to get through 2 rounds.

534599[/snapback]

That's where I stole the idea from. :D

Archived