Sons' sorrow

From the OS

"SONS scheduled Ladbrokes Championship match against Hibs on 26th March may be moved as the Edinburgh club has made a request to the SPFL to cancel due to international call-ups.

:lol: 

As soon as we have news of what the SPFL intend to do, we will publish via our social media channels."

Another Tuesday game boo boo . Suppose was only to be expected.

Is it only McGinn that's in squads

McGinn is in the full squad. Henderson & Cummings are in the u21's. Republic of Ireland haven't announced their squad yet but Stokes may be in it.

If Rangers also postpone our game at Ibrox on the same day there is a possibility of the scheduled midweek game on April 12th moving to the Saturday instead as we'll both be free.

Which is another reason they will be more than happy to play up the 'disadvantage' if they have 1 or 2 players not available.

They dont have to "play up" anything. It is not an appeal. It is a black and white rule - 3 call ups then you can postpone. They have three so they can postpone if they want.

They dont have to "play up" anything. It is not an appeal. It is a black and white rule - 3 call ups then you can postpone. They have three so they can postpone if they want.

But what I am saying is, it's not a necessity. They can, but don't have to. My point was that it works further to their advantage that we will have tired players midweek. I didn't say anything about them appealing anything as we all know it is within the rules that they can do so.

But what I am saying is, it's not a necessity. They can, but don't have to. My point was that it works further to their advantage that we will have tired players midweek. I didn't say anything about them appealing anything as we all know it is within the rules that they can do so.

No it isnt a necessity, and Rangers did at one point earlier this season play a game when they could have postponed it. But it is a fact. They can postpone if they want. They dont need to justify it whatsoever so they have absolutely no reason to "play up" anything. You implied by using that phrase that they were needing to get someone to agree it was fair to call it off.

I dont think anyone could possibly say it is unreasonable for Hibs to call off when will be missing three established first teamers who are probably their best three players (4 if Stokes is called up). Even Rangers now with two established first teamers in McKay and King is pretty reasonable. Earlier in the season before King arrived, with Zelalem on the fringes, they were getting games called off on a technicality due to boys in the 19s and 17s when in reality they were losing one player who wasnt even really established as first choice at the time.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I think it means he was under amateur registration to someone when the window closed but has been released. As an amateur the windows dont apply to him insofar as signing for someone else but he cant change status to pro outside a window and as he was registered elsewhere and not actually a free agent he cant then play first team SPFL although he would be allowed to play in the Development League. I think that is how it works anyway. We had a foreign trialist in for our 20s recently who was in the same position. When we checked if he actually could sign just in case we wanted to the word back was that he could but wouldnt be allowed to play in the 1st team. As he wasnt under consideration for the 1st team anyway it wasnt relevant to us though.

As far as I know he hasn't been capped so I was wondering how on Earth he'd get a work permit. Unless he was to play as an amateur maybe?

If we had 3 players called up we'd be looking for it off and hoping the replay would be held at the most inconvenient time for our opponents. Hibs doing nothing wrong, as annoying as it is.

Totally agree, I've not once said I thought they were doing anything wrong. It is a pain for us and makes the match all the more difficult. Not sure why SD is getting his knickers in a twist but y'know...

Totally agree, I've not once said I thought they were doing anything wrong. It is a pain for us and makes the match all the more difficult. Not sure why SD is getting his knickers in a twist but y'know...

You quoted a post that said it was unfair if they called it off and said they would be "playing up" the disadvantage. You quite clearly did imply it was wrong no matter what you are saying now but y'know.... Edited by Skyline Drifter

You quoted a post that said it was unfair if they called it off and said they would be "playing up" the disadvantage. You quite clearly did imply it was wrong no matter what you are saying now but y'know....

Not that clearly as that's not what I meant. If I had said 'it's wrong' or 'unfair' then you would have a valid point...

ETA: if you check back I was referring to someone who said we will be at a disadvantage playing midweek. Which was the whole point of my first post.

Edited by squeezeboxson

We're apparently signing Jon Routledge on a pre-contract for next season. How's he done this season? I was really impressed with him in the Petrofac Cup game at the beginning of the season.

It would be understanble if true and really disappointing. He's better than Chris Turner (who he replaced in our team) and would be a good signing. Does the dirty stuff really well in midfield and we've got a hole to fill if he's gone.

We're apparently signing Jon Routledge on a pre-contract for next season. How's he done this season? I was really impressed with him in the Petrofac Cup game at the beginning of the season. 

Heard that today as well.

Cracking player who will do all the dirty bits extremely effectively. Don't expect a flowing playmaker, or someone who's great with the ball at his feet, what you'll get is a really hard worker who is a joy to watch tackling people*.

He gets a nose bleed when he goes beyond his own half, and near collapses when he gets anywhere near the opposition penalty area mind you.

Will be a massive loss for ourselves, and one that I wouldn't be hugely confident we could replace.

*I use this asterix because he does occasionally produce some absolute shockers, see this on Tuesday night: