Sons' sorrow

Some after thoughts on the deals... No mention of Mark Brown's situation, can't believe he will be happy to sit on the bench and Routledge can't have signed a pretty contract elsewhere if offered.

Brown will probably be quite content to steal a wage from the bench. Never looked interested

Tbh I think Gallagher is good backup at this level. While he lacks technical ability he works hard and has not bad strength or pace.

I totally agree with that, maybe it is a steep learning curve from league one, where he was clearly a standout, Maybe he's jus had a poor season, surprised Cawley, taggart and Heffernan weren't offered a deal, albeit as cover. Good luck to them all

As I rate your player judgement I'll find out, what sort of midfielder was he?

As far as I (through my agenda tinted goggles) can view it he runs about a lot, usually in the wrong areas getting in the way, losing possession, winning nothing in the air and occasionally going in on mental tackles that could well be deserving of a red card.

He was a real up-'n'-at-'em midfielder, someone who would sit in front of the defence, break up play and move the ball on to the more technical players. He was pretty disciplined, hard working and someone who you could usually rely on to keep things ticking over. You really saw how important he was to Stranraer during their make-or-break tie with Greenock Morton towards the end of the season - he went off midway through the first half with an injury and the team really lost their shape in his absence.

He's pretty much the opposite of the player you describe!

He was a real up-'n'-at-'em midfielder, someone who would sit in front of the defence, break up play and move the ball on to the more technical players. He was pretty disciplined, hard working and someone who you could usually rely on to keep things ticking over. You really saw how important he was to Stranraer during their make-or-break tie with Greenock Morton towards the end of the season - he went off midway through the first half with an injury and the team really lost their shape in his absence.

Aitken signed Routledge to play the holding mid role and then jono got punted to shoe horn Darren Barr into the team after it became obvious he couldn't shift another of his late signings Frazer Wright (notice the pattern). It's possible Gal didn't get to play his best position. Edited by albundy

Anyway, who saw Bucky's Maw on Reporting Scotland the nicht ?  She is the editor of the Falkirk Herald and incredibly wanted to talk about the local economy vis-a-vis the Holyrood Election rather than where her boy will be launching 85-yard forward passes next season - can you believe that ??

Heffernan is a good player for a team who go into matches as favourites and will see a lot of action around the opposition box. We aren't in that situation. We need a team with 10 hard working outfield players and we need someone who can stretch defences like Kane or hold the ball up like Nade. Heffernan does neither of these things making him slightly pointless.

Edited by cameron2000

I thought that was odd, until I saw that and now it's perhaps starting to make a wee bit of sense.

For us he's spent most of his time marooned out on either wing - where he looks massively uncomfortable - or upfront where he looks equally as hopeless.

When we've played him in central midfield he's usually been alongside Darren Barr and Jonny Routledge, two players who do the dirty work effectively and pass the ball onto a Garry Fleming/Christian Nade/Tom Walsh type. They're both poor going forward but are decent passers of the ball (Routledge in particular) Perhaps without a more attacking midfielder alongside him he's having to try and play more which is leading to his poor first touch/range of passing being exposed.

If we were to lose Routledge, and move Barr to CB, he might well end up being effective alongside a Ryan McCord/Scott Agnew creative type in the middle of the park.

*Distant sound of straws being clutched*

Heffernan is a good player for a team who go into matches as favourites and will see a lot of action around the opposition box. We aren't in that situation. We need a team with 10 hard working outfield players and we need someone who can stretch defences like Kane or hold the ball up like Nade. Heffernan does neither of these things making him slightly pointless.

Agreed. I didn't dislike Heffernan, you could tell he had a good brain, he's was just pointless in a team like us who sit back and look to hit on the counter with long balls.

I reckon he could score a decent number for an Arbroath or Annan.

Agreed. I didn't dislike Heffernan, you could tell he had a good brain, he's was just pointless in a team like us who sit back and look to hit on the counter with long balls.

I reckon he could score a decent number for an Arbroath or Annan.

I reckon for a top team in league two he could score 10-15 goals in a season.

Was expecting a few more to go, most notably Gallagher and a mutual termination with Broon.

Not Cawley's biggest fan but would have him over Gallagher.

I would have keep Taggs over Gallacher or Cawley,  going to be hard to maintain a belief that we are progressing if Saunders is re-signed to play at RB next season.

Canny believe we're keeping Docherty. So many goals we conceded down his side was shocking.

I just don't see what people don't see in Sparky. He's not a flair player, nothing fancy just a solid left-back and that'll do me just fine. The difference when he was suspended was incredible, we were utterly woeful.

We re not keeping anyone yet, only making offers.

Along the lines of " i see you being a squad player next season and therefore the offer is this per week".

Players will want to play more/want more money/assurances of being first picks and to see who else signs first.