Sons' sorrow

Hopefully some 25 goal superstar floats in out of nowhere. It's definitely not Joel Kasubandi or Josh Peters though.

I imagine we have our striker for the season in Thomson - With Gaz and Stevo expected to chip in with goals from midfield - Aitken is probably after a backup striker who can ideally play on the wing as well.

Just now, bigmacDFC said:

I imagine we have our striker for the season in Thomson - With Gaz and Stevo expected to chip in with goals from midfield - Aitken is probably after a backup striker who can ideally play on the wing as well.

I guess you could stick Stevo/Gaz or McCallum up top as well, but it struck me when Thommo was limping on Tuesday that (much like with Nade last season) if he gets an injury we're without a natural frontman.

The answer to our prayers is currently playing in the Gibraltarian 2nd division imo

Is anyone slightly concerned that the entire Stranraer support seem to know a hell of a lot more about our signing targets than we do?

Also, can anyone explain why a trialist, Gibbons (a central midfielder), having a poor game at left back explains why we're after a full back on loan? I really don't think we need another defender, we are light again going forward and I'd be disappointed if we were swindling what remains of our tiny budget on a loanee who won't feature (unless we've decided Pettigrew isn't up to it?).

Just now, The Moonster said:

Is anyone slightly concerned that the entire Stranraer support seem to know a hell of a lot more about our signing targets than we do?

Also, can anyone explain why a trialist, Gibbons (a central midfielder), having a poor game at left back explains why we're after a full back on loan? I really don't think we need another defender, we are light again going forward and I'd be disappointed if we were swindling what remains of our tiny budget on a loanee who won't feature (unless we've decided Pettigrew isn't up to it?).

I think the FB on loan will be to allow Pettigrew to move into CB if Barr is out longer term. That's certainly what I took it to mean.

There's such a strong connection between us and Stranraer at the moment I wouldn't be that bothered. Just takes someone to know Chris Aitken (or even Aggy) and they'll probably find out bits and pieces about us.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Sounds promising, can you name him or is it classified?

I could mate but not really my place sorry  just heard through the grapevine he was going on loan then heard could be you guys 

1 minute ago, Hooper said:

I could mate but not really my place sorry  just heard through the grapevine he was going on loan then heard could be you guys 

No worries, cheers for the rumour. Gives us something to chat about outwith our current trialists who've been done to death!

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I think the FB on loan will be to allow Pettigrew to move into CB if Barr is out longer term. That's certainly what I took it to mean.

I understand that, and it hinges pretty much on how bad his injury is, but we fully expect Barr to play in midfield, no?  Barr being out shouldn't alter a starting defence of Pettigrew, Buchy, Wright and Sparky.  I just don't want to waste money on having someone here "just in case" when we don't have a lot of money to play with. I'd much rather we had to use folk like Gall at right back on occasion and have options going forward than having a relatively solid defence with nothing in front of it (a bit like last year).

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I understand that, and it hinges pretty much on how bad his injury is, but we fully expect Barr to play in midfield, no?  Barr being out shouldn't alter a starting defence of Pettigrew, Buchy, Wright and Sparky.  I just don't want to waste money on having someone here "just in case" when we don't have a lot of money to play with. I'd much rather we had to use folk like Gall at right back on occasion and have options going forward than having a relatively solid defence with nothing in front of it (a bit like last year).

I guess it does depend on how bad Barr's injury is. Like I said earlier though I'm not sure that Fraz can do a full season like he did last year. He's never had pace or anything, but his limp seems to be getting worse every week. Chances are that the defenders will be suspended or pick up injuries in the coming week's too. Pettigrew was limping a bit against Cumbernauld but seemed to recover, whilst Buchanan had to have his ankle strapped up pre-match because it wasn't coping too well with the astro at Broadwood. 

From what BigMac said about Barr, and with his history, I am pretty concerned about him in all honesty.

If this guy's rapid and strong then he might also be able to fill in, on the wing. We know Stevie's after versatile players so I'd be surprised if he was only a full-back and couldn't play anywhere else. We could do with an additional wide player so he could be handy for that too.

Anybody know a rich Sheikh who would be interested in taking over a Scottish Championship side?

In Stirling and Smith, we're covered in the winger department, and I doubt playing at our level, that Stevie will play both at the same time,  unless we're chasing the game.

As for tatar, although I haven't seen him, he sounds promising, and knows where the net is, and I don't see the panic in him or Thomson picking up a knock each, nade came with injury issues, we don't know tatar and thomsons injury history. Striker has to be a priority, and an option for rb, after tatar signing of course.

7 minutes ago, optimistic said:

In Stirling and Smith, we're covered in the winger department, and I doubt playing at our level, that Stevie will play both at the same time,  unless we're chasing the game.

As for tatar, although I haven't seen him, he sounds promising, and knows where the net is, and I don't see the panic in him or Thomson picking up a knock each, nade came with injury issues, we don't know tatar and thomsons injury history. Striker has to be a priority, and an option for rb, after tatar signing of course.

We have two wingers and there are two wings on a football park, I sincerely hope we play them together!  If we're not playing Stirling on the left and Smith on the right then that means someone like Gall or Fleming is playing there and that is not what we want.  

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We have two wingers and there are two wings on a football park, I sincerely hope we play them together!  If we're not playing Stirling on the left and Smith on the right then that means someone like Gall or Fleming is playing there and that is not what we want.  

Have you ever known Stevie to be that adventurous?

Just now, optimistic said:

Have you ever known Stevie to be that adventurous?

I don't think it's adventurous to play with two wingers, especially when he's deploying Fleming in a deep midfield role, it allows us to let Stirling and Smith get balls into the box for Thommo.  Our problem last year was that we had 1 wide player in Gibson and we were shoe-horning Cawley onto the right, it caused a great imbalance and one we never really managed to rectify (although Walsh did help).  We have plenty players to sit and cover the defence (Gallagher, Barr, Fleming, Tatar if he signs, even Stevo seems to sit quite deep) so I don't think it's too adventurous to play with two wingers.

Cawley wasn't a winger, we swapped Gibson with Walsh, , I can just see us starting with one, and possibly playing Gallagher on the right, which never really worked, he was wasted there, I would love it if we did start with the two, as long as their more than prepared to come back and defend. The best I seen it work was our title winning year with Murray and carcary

Just now, optimistic said:

Cawley wasn't a winger, we swapped Gibson with Walsh, , I can just see us starting with one, and possibly playing Gallagher on the right, which never really worked, he was wasted there, I would love it if we did start with the two, as long as their more than prepared to come back and defend. The best I seen it work was our title winning year with Murray and carcary

The bit's in bold are exactly why I think (and hope) that Stevie will play Stirling and Smith.

We've just added a Bankies match to our pre-season, 2nd August at Holm Park. Hopefully they can get water up and running this year and the game can go ahead.