Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The number 2's reaction is disbelief followed by anger in the space of 2 seconds. Great watching.

:lol: I've watched it hunners of times already today and didn't notice that. In ye come Jamie, we've needed something to cheer us up and some comical own goals will do just that*

*Provided we're 4-0 up when it happens.

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

The number 2's reaction is disbelief followed by anger in the space of 2 seconds. Great watching.

I'd actually recommend watching the whole highlights package from that match. Stenhousemuir's defending throughout really has to be seen to be believed.

Just now, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'd actually recommend watching the whole highlights package from that match. Stenhousemuir's defending throughout really has to be seen to be believed.

I can confirm this as I have literally just finished watching it. Is that big Stuart Malcolm you guys had in defence? I hope he starts for the Loons tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I can confirm this as I have literally just finished watching it. Is that big Stuart Malcolm you guys had in defence? I hope he starts for the Loons tomorrow.

I don't like being negative towards current or former players, but big Stuart Malcolm's one of the worst centre-backs I've seen at Stenhousemuir. I'd have him and Barclay in my all-time worst XI. Malcolm had been a smashing lower-league defender back, a big no-nonsense stopper, but all the goodness immediately disappeared when he signed for the Warriors. His team-mates spoke about how good he was with them in training and how he'd helped them over the course of the season, but he looked finished. The 1-5 defeat to Stranraer on Boxing Day was undoubtedly his nadir. Check out the highlights!

We offered him a player-coach role, with more emphasis on the coaching rather than the playing, at the end of the season, but he turned it down and joined Forfar Athletic. Another one I'm greatly surprised found a senior club.

8 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I don't like being negative towards current or former players, but big Stuart Malcolm's one of the worst centre-backs I've seen at Stenhousemuir. I'd have him and Barclay in my all-time worst XI. Malcolm had been a smashing lower-league defender back, a big no-nonsense stopper, but all the goodness immediately disappeared when he signed for the Warriors. His team-mates spoke about how good he was with them in training and how he'd helped them over the course of the season, but he looked finished. The 1-5 defeat to Stranraer on Boxing Day was undoubtedly his nadir. Check out the highlights!

We offered him a player-coach role, with more emphasis on the coaching rather than the playing, at the end of the season, but he turned it down and joined Forfar Athletic. Another one I'm greatly surprised found a senior club.

I'm a big fan of marvelling at Stenhousemuir's defending last season. It really is entertaining stuff.

I remember him being one of the opposition players I feared most when we played against Arbroath in 2011/12. He was absolutely solid and we could never seem to get anything by him...until the playoff semi-final 1st leg.

Hopefully he's the player you had last season, and isn't just better suited to the Angus clubs, as I quite fancy seeing Berbathom, Andy Stirling and David Smith running at him. That could be very enjoyable indeed.

Edit: The best bit about Stenny's highlights is the dugout commentary. Everything the "wee man" did for Stranraer was "different class".

Edit(2): The guy who shrieks "IS SOMEBDY WINDING ME UP" :lol:

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Just now, optimistic said:

Is Barclay the expected signing I presume, that we were talking about earlier in the week, or is it possible of another? Wishful thinking

I suspect he'll be the only addition to the squad before the Forfar game to be honest. I am hopeful that we might have some more news before the glorious return of Hacksaw Duggan on the 19th mind you.

Just now, optimistic said:

Listening to stevies comments, it seemed like a half decent signing, going by being quite a bit apart in terms of a deal, I wouldn't have thought this was the case with Barclay

I don't think it is who he was speaking about earlier in the week, but I think that news might have been delayed/hit a snag or whatever. I just don't see us getting any (sort of unexpected) signing news at this time on a Friday.

Prove me wrong DFC...

Is Barclay the expected signing I presume, that we were talking about earlier in the week, or is it possible of another? Wishful thinking

Barclay definitely wasn't the intended signing. That signing isn't any closer to being completed it seems.

http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14621268.Aitken__Clash_of_part_timers_leaves_League_Cup_group_wide_open/

This gives some more info. Worrying that Aitken doesn't list a striker as one of his targets.

4 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Barclay definitely wasn't the intended signing. That signing isn't any closer to being completed it seems.

http://m.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14621268.Aitken__Clash_of_part_timers_leaves_League_Cup_group_wide_open/

This gives some more info. Worrying that Aitken doesn't list a striker as one of his targets.

“A couple of trialists have been in and we’re still looking at them and talking to them too.”

Todd still here? If so he's a goalscoring midfielder, though I can't see us affording him unless we do some sort of amateur contract deal thing for him. I agree with him we need a winger, but I'd rather an out and out striker rather than another midfielder as we've got plenty of them - unless it was Todd (or someone of his ilk) who can conceivably play upfront.

40 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I've said this on P&B before so apologies for repeating it and having another go at Malcolm, but I'd disagree that he had been a highly regarded lower-league defender. If he had, then it was latterly in his career after being poorly rated previously. He arrived at Alloa in the summer of 2006 and we were warned that he was pish. He was at the heart of the Wasps defence for our league opener, a 6-1 defeat at Central Park. He managed to get sent off three times in the following three months. He was subbed off back at Central Park just before Christmas during another humping (5-2) and disappeared to Montrose shortly after, before they released him too. Absolute bomb-scare and I was surprised when we played Forfar in the play-offs last year to see that he was highly regarded. He was involved in a mix up with Rab Douglas that helped us back into the tie, some kind of recompense for his performances in Black and Gold a few years before. 

That video is class with the Stranraer bench vying with Big Malky for funniest contribution. 

Edited by Waspie

2 hours ago, Waspie said:

I've said this on P&B before so apologies for repeating it and having another go at Malcolm, but I'd disagree that he had been a highly regarded lower-league defender. If he had, then it was latterly in his career after being poorly rated previously. He arrived at Alloa in the summer of 2006 and we were warned that he was pish. He was at the heart of the Wasps defence for our league opener, a 6-1 defeat at Central Park. He managed to get sent off three times in the following three months. He was subbed off back at Central Park just before Christmas during another humping (5-2) and disappeared to Montrose shortly after, before they released him too. Absolute bomb-scare and I was surprised when we played Forfar in the play-offs last year to see that he was highly regarded. He was involved in a mix up with Rab Douglas that helped us back into the tie, some kind of recompense for his performances in Black and Gold a few years before. 

That video is class with the Stranraer bench vying with Big Malky for funniest contribution. 

That's very fair, I only really remember him from his days at Forfar Athletic when he was always big and strong and difficult to get the better of; anything before then is a little hazy to me.

I watched back the Stranraer highlights and his contribution to the fourth goal - killing the ball perfectly and then falling over - is a goddamn riot.

Apologies to Dumbarton fans for gatecrashing your thread and regaling you with tales about Stenny duds of yesteryear.

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Bring back Dr Jan!

(as long as we're not up against Bobby Mann who decides he can lob him from the half way line)

As is always the case when we he gets a mention, I'll point out that I have his gloves from the game against Clyde where he chucked in a couple.

He was fantastic. Could make some stunning saves then let one dribble in.