Sons' sorrow

We have another good option at centre back in Darren Barr. I wouldn' be against bringing in a decent LB and see how Docherty plays at defensive mid either (did alloa fans not say that was his best position).

I agree about Docs, would be interesting to see him in centre mid - don't think, as others have suggested, it would be best for the team if he was on the wing.

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That would mean dropping Andy Stirling or moving him to the right and dropping Smith.  I imagine if Stirling was on the right he'd be inclined to cut in rather than going down the line and getting balls into the box for Thommo. It's possible, but may upset the balance of the team.

I would say that Stirling has been much more impressive so far than Smith has. But in all the matches I have seen, Stirling cuts inside too much from the left. More times than he goes down the line to put a cross in. Albeit I missed the Dundee game where he may have hit the byline more often etc... but I think trying him on the right might actually work better.

Just now, optimistic said:

How many supporters did st mirren/ dunfermline need for their takeover?

What ideas do we have to bring fans in, to increase our gate?

Don't know about Dunfermline, but I think St Mirren were aiming for 1000 paying £20 (or thereabouts) each every month.  I think they got about 1300 paying into it. It could work for teams of our size but it would mean having a united support behind the idea, which is something I have doubts over us achieving. It also needs the current owners to be on board with the idea, and cut us some leeway in paying up. Say you have all the trust members paying £20 a month, that's about £6K in revenue, so over a year we'd raise £72K. I have no idea what the owners value the club at currently, but I'd imagine we'd need about 10 years of folk paying that in to get anywhere near the valuation. If we could come to some arrangement with our owners in a deal like that I'd be over the moon, but I don't think our owners are the least bit interested in that.

Ideas to bring in fans? I don't know. I genuinely don't think there is much the club can do. Lower the price is always a suggestion, but that just results in us losing money. Let kids in for free? Again, I'm not sure it brings enough through the door to justify. Put a winning team on the park? Well, when we were going for the promotion play-offs a couple of years back I don't remember hoards queuing up to get in. 

I think the sad fact is, people (outside of our core support) don't give a flying f**k about the team and can take it or leave it.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think St Mirren were aiming for 1000 paying £20 (or thereabouts) each every month.  I think they got about 1300 paying into it.

For this deal to happen, we need the fans to help fund it. We are setting basic membership of SMISA at £12 per month and for the deal to happen we need as many people as possible to join.

SMISA plans to borrow the money needed for our share of the deal. The final loan arrangements are still to be confirmed but we expect that in order to repay the loan and rack up the money needed to buy out Gordon, we will need the equivalent of 1,000 fans paying £12 per month over ten years.

Members will also have the option of signing up for £25 per month, or through our £2,500 premium package, offering ten years of membership and some exclusive money-can’t-buy benefits.

From SMISA website.

36 minutes ago, bigmacDFC said:

I agree about Docs, would be interesting to see him in centre mid - don't think, as others have suggested, it would be best for the team if he was on the wing.

That's a decent shout actually, I'm sure when we signed him Alloa fans said he's a better CM than he is a LB. If one of the loanees is the guy from Aberdeen then he could slot in at LB and Sparky would fit in nicely in central midfield. Wright doesn't look fit enough to play more than about 70 minutes a week, so that would also let Barr drop back to centre-half.

Then it's down to who you would drop from the existing midfield - one of Gaz, Todd or Stevo - and based on pre-season form I'd say it has to be Garry.

Brown

Pettigrew Buchanan Barr Harvie

Docherty

Smith Todd Stirling

Stevenson

Thomson

Obviously the wide men would be...erm...wider than that, but I can't deal with the new formatting options on here, so you'll have to leave that to your imagination. The only concern I'd have would be the midfield getting slightly overrun with 3 very attacking players in it, but dropping Todd for someone like Gallagher would be mental. I suppose you could move him into Smith's wide right position, bench David and put Jamie Lindsay in when he returns or Garry for the time being, but he has been off the boil lately (although that could be down to him being mucked about position wise).

Apologies I'm thinking out loud again.

*I know nothing by the way, I'm just full of soon to be shattered hope

I'm no' in the house, is he looking a bit..erm heavy?

Well first of All he looks to have shrunk down the way and grown out. He all seems to be slowly breaking to pieces every time he is touched. As well as this he has sat on his arse the whole game instead of making an option upfront. Based on that I would pick Thomson over him.

9 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Well first of All he looks to have shrunk down the way and grown out. He all seems to be slowly breaking to pieces every time he is touched. As well as this he has sat on his arse the whole game instead of making an option upfront. Based on that I would pick Thomson over him.

Whilst I'm glad to hear we haven't missed out, I'm gutted for the big man. He was an absolutely lovely guy and a great player for us so it's a real shame to hear things appear to have gone back to his Hearts time.

Whilst I'm glad to hear we haven't missed out, I'm gutted for the big man. He was an absolutely lovely guy and a great player for us so it's a real shame to hear things appear to have gone back to his Hearts time.

He's a long way off being that bad. No more out of shape than Garry Fleming.

Whatever happens this season in terms of personnel i really really hope we have a right good go and play attacking football.I would rather we won 8 or 9 games this season even if it means a few hidings.A gung ho attitude is needed as if we sit back we tend to be crap at that and lose anyway.If we go down we go down but i'd like to see us show a bit of balls all the same.And no not the james grady variety.

2 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

...........He all seems to be slowly breaking to pieces every time he is touched. As well as this he has sat on his arse the whole game instead of making an option upfront..............

Reminiscent of Beanie and Kane (second loan spell) IMO

From last week's article:

"He said: “We're looking to bring in a defender, a midfielder and a striker, all on loan deals.

“It's from club's that have got good reputations for producing younger players.

“We've got good contacts and the managers have been great and we just have to be patient, but within the next week or so it will all come together, and by the first league game the squad should be complete.

“We're hoping one will be in by the beginning of next week, Monday - Tuesday the latest"

#TerrificTuesday anyone?

From last week's article:

"He said: “We're looking to bring in a defender, a midfielder and a striker, all on loan deals.

“It's from club's that have got good reputations for producing younger players.

“We've got good contacts and the managers have been great and we just have to be patient, but within the next week or so it will all come together, and by the first league game the squad should be complete.

“We're hoping one will be in by the beginning of next week, Monday - Tuesday the latest"

#TerrificTuesday anyone?

I thought this but Harvie did go off injured for Aberdeen at the weekend so that could delay it?