Sons' sorrow

Another thing I really don't see happening is Mark Brown leaving the club. Regardless of the fact he is still contracted until the end of the season and he will be happy to just receive a wage for that. The fact he is in our matchday squad right now suggests we maybe best hold onto him. I know it is down to Ewings being injured but if this back injury could flare up again at any point then we don't want to be left with no sub 'keeper.

3 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Another thing I really don't see happening is Mark Brown leaving the club. Regardless of the fact he is still contracted until the end of the season and he will be happy to just receive a wage for that. The fact he is in our matchday squad right now suggests we maybe best hold onto him. I know it is down to Ewings being injured but if this back injury could flare up again at any point then we don't want to be left with no sub 'keeper.

Mark Brown is leaving football altogether & joining the Police.

About a month or so ago, there was chat in here about dwindling crowds at the Rock so I've worked out the averages now that we've played everyone once at home. And for comparison I've also checked 11/12 in a lower division. League only.

Season       First 9 ave.     Full season ave

11/12.             600.                 724 (includes play offs)

12/13.             985.                 927

13/14.             815.                 938

14/15.             1091.               1072

15/16.             1103.                1041

16/17.             1041

So they've dropped slightly this season but they've held up well considering there were 500 more at the first Rangers game last season than were at the Dundee United this season. Bizarrely there were 1552 at the first game against Hibs last season and the exact same earlier this season!

I'd get rid if Brown, put an U17 on the bench whilst Jaz is out and then, if something should happen to Aldo, bring in an emergency loan 'keeper if needs be. That would be a much better use of our budget than having 3 experienced 'keepers on the books.

8 minutes ago, microdave said:

About a month or so ago, there was chat in here about dwindling crowds at the Rock so I've worked out the averages now that we've played everyone once at home. And for comparison I've also checked 11/12 in a lower division. League only.

Season       First 9 ave.     Full season ave

11/12.             600.                 724 (includes play offs)

12/13.             985.                 927

13/14.             815.                 938

14/15.             1091.               1072

15/16.             1103.                1041

16/17.             1041

So they've dropped slightly this season but they've held up well considering there were 500 more at the first Rangers game last season than were at the Dundee United this season. Bizarrely there were 1552 at the first game against Hibs last season and the exact same earlier this season!

I think the talk was of the Home Support dwindling, crowds are probably roughly the same, as you've posted Microdave.

But I think that's more to do with healthy Away supports outnumbering the Home Support.

Look @ the Bonnyrigg Cup replay, a Junior side had easily twice as many fans than were in the Home end that night.

The past few months there's been swathes of empty seats in the Home end tbh.

13 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'd get rid if Brown, put an U17 on the bench whilst Jaz is out and then, if something should happen to Aldo, bring in an emergency loan 'keeper if needs be. That would be a much better use of our budget than having 3 experienced 'keepers on the books.

Better use of the budget if he were to go without any kind of pay off? Which isn't too likely to happen.

Better use of the budget if he were to go without any kind of pay off? Which isn't too likely to happen.

I wouldn't be so sure - if he's got a new job lined up with the a Police the he might be willing to walk away. Perhaps it's wishful thinking on my part, but I doubt this current situation is suiting him.

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

I think the talk was of the Home Support dwindling, crowds are probably roughly the same, as you've posted Microdave.

But I think that's more to do with healthy Away supports outnumbering the Home Support.

Look @ the Bonnyrigg Cup replay, a Junior side had easily twice as many fans than were in the Home end that night.

The past few months there's been swathes of empty seats in the Home end tbh.

You're right that it was about the dwindling home support and does feel/look like there aren't as many. But I think that we've been outnumbered by quite a few teams in the past but unless the club release the away support, it's guesswork for quite a few games. Hibs and Dundee United definitely had more but eg Ayr looked like they had more fans but looks can deceive.

1 minute ago, microdave said:

You're right that it was about the dwindling home support and does feel/look like there aren't as many. But I think that we've been outnumbered by quite a few teams in the past but unless the club release the away support, it's guesswork for quite a few games. Hibs and Dundee United definitely had more but eg Ayr looked like they had more fans but looks can deceive.

For sure.

Ayr & the Pars certainly bring more than Livi & Alloa who went down though, so crowds will probably appear to be 'steady' even if there's less Sons fans turning up, sadly.

Record reporting today that we've turned down Irish striker Matthew Rooney who is currently with Portadown. He doesn't have a Wikipedia page, so that's saved me a job at least.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=67845

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portadown_F.C.