Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Considering the yards of conversations and racour on here before about Dalmoak, I'm surprised that the last 24 hours' news hasn't elicited more response.

These two news items (Rankine v Brabco and the naw to Dalmoak) are probably the most serious threat to the club's future since 1996.

IMO it would be a brave political move for a council to contradict the recommendations of their Planning officials, especially as the latters’ concerns, ie housing on greenbelt land and traffic management, are hardly trivial technicalities to be glossed over; the housing aspect is I would say absolutely fundamental to the project going ahead.

Much is being made of local support for the plan from club supporters, youth clubs, etc. and also councillors but I suspect a good deal of that is based on emotion and populism; this planning advice would seem to be the first time that a serious roadblock has appeared and there is now pressure on the council to make the correct call. 

I predict a decision will be kicked down the road for further reports, a situation that would suit no-one, least of all a football club that is on the bones of its financial arse.  If the eventual outcome is a negative then Brabco has to consider whether to appeal but if the content of the Lennox article is factually accurate then I think the scales are already balanced against them.

And yes, this matter and Rankine’s money claim probably IS the biggest crisis situation for DFC since 1996.  Glass half-full guy that I always am however, I honestly believe that change for the better at football clubs only ever occurs when they are staring into the abyss – until that point minds are not fully concentrated.  We shall see soon enough, especially if Brabco make a call on time up.

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Which rag is this? Unless my eyes are deceiving me that's my dad on the left :lol:

I don't think it has? I've been keeping an eye on the Bankies thread and there hasn't been any mention of that falling through - they seem to think the upgrades to Holm Park will help them in their bid to become a good senior side.

Today's Lennox Herald :)

It’s not without precedent for the council to go against its officers but I feel that the way this news has come out means that is probably unlikely. I don’t know if Rankine‘s court action has been timed for the cash injection coming the club's way next week or it’s a happy coincidence (for Rankine) I suspect the latter. Facts are known here. The council have sent out a smoke signal to say that Dalmoak is not happening and Brabco 736, whose entire strategy is based on it happening are being pursued for £200,000 which they don’t have. All they have is the majority shareholding in a football club and ownership of a stadium and land.
On the Rankine debt it will depend what, if any guarantees are in place. Knowing Rankine as I do I suspect there will be a guarantee of some kind.

9 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

It’s not without precedent for the council to go against its officers but I feel that the way this news has come out means that is probably unlikely. I don’t know if Rankine‘s court action has been timed for the cash injection coming the club's way next week or it’s a happy coincidence (for Rankine) I suspect the latter. Facts are known here. The council have sent out a smoke signal to say that Dalmoak is not happening and Brabco 736, whose entire strategy is based on it happening are being pursued for £200,000 which they don’t have. All they have is the majority shareholding in a football club and ownership of a stadium and land.
On the Rankine debt it will depend what, if any guarantees are in place. Knowing Rankine as I do I suspect there will be a guarantee of some kind.

Perhaps the action has been timed to stay in line with any statute of limitations. Seems like several years since this first came about.

Re the Brabco court case, I see that it might be down for a Peremptory Diet. I think this just means that when the case last called in court, there was no appearance by (I'm assuming Brabco) or their lawyer. Could be any number of reasons for this, but they'll have now been served notice of this court date, but as long as someone appears for them this could trundle along for ages yet. Maybe the case had been sisted ages ago & Rankine's resuscitating it?

Re the Brabco court case, I see that it might be down for a Peremptory Diet. I think this just means that when the case last called in court, there was no appearance by (I'm assuming Brabco) or their lawyer. Could be any number of reasons for this, but they'll have now been served notice of this court date, but as long as someone appears for them this could trundle along for ages yet. Maybe the case had been sisted ages ago & Rankine's resuscitating it?

A solicitor friend in the Falkirk area tells me that the case isn’t going ahead tomorrow.

Wee thing I just worked out; Froxy's goals and assists have won us ten points in the league this season - and without him our only victory would've been against Brechin in November. 

Froxy's Impact in the league

16/9/2017 - Dumbarton 2-1 Brechin City (Froxylias winner) Points won 2
23/9/2017 - Dumbarton 2-1 Inverness Caledonian Thistle (Froxylias goal and assist) Points won 3
25/11/2017 - Dunfermline Athletic 2-2 Dumbarton (Froxylias goal) Points won 1
2/12/2017 - St Mirren 0-1 Dumbarton (Froxylias assist) Points won 2
14/3/2018 - Dumbarton 1-0 Brechin City (Froxylias goal) Points won 2

It wasn’t one of his better games last night but he still scored the winning goal and worked hard. I think you could compile an even more convincing list for the Irn Bru Cup.

I heard he scored a goal in the semi-final of that or something? I was stuck up here though, so I've not really seen it :ph34r:

Aye, I actually didn't think he was great last night, but he kept plugging away and, as we all know, has the quality to do something that nobody else on the pitch could. I suspect Stevie was keen to get him shooting as much as possible, because he kept shouting encouragement even after he blasted a few directly into defenders. The tactical genius strikes again.

Made a really vital interception when Brechin had a bit of an overload down our right in the second half too.

I heard he scored a goal in the semi-final of that or something? I was stuck up here though, so I've not really seen it [emoji185]
Aye, I actually didn't think he was great last night, but he kept plugging away and, as we all know, has the quality to do something that nobody else on the pitch could. I suspect Stevie was keen to get him shooting as much as possible, because he kept shouting encouragement even after he blasted a few directly into defenders. The tactical genius strikes again.
Made a really vital interception when Brechin had a bit of an overload down our right in the second half too.

I was at reception last night after the game. Froxy was just leaving and Stevie had just finished his interviews. Stevie called out “Jimmy!” and he came back in. Aitken put an arm round his shoulder and shook him warmly by the hand and said ”cheers”. I think he’s the type of player who appreciates appreciation. A small thing perhaps but decent man management.

I was at reception last night after the game. Froxy was just leaving and Stevie had just finished his interviews. Stevie called out “Jimmy!” and he came back in. Aitken put an arm round his shoulder and shook him warmly by the hand and said ”cheers”. I think he’s the type of player who appreciates appreciation. A small thing perhaps but decent man management.

That's good to hear. I've said it before, but for all Stevie's faults players evidently enjoy working with him. That's probably why we've seen him get the best out of guys like Froxy, Andy Stirling and even Sam Stanton who'd endured a difficult few years kicking his heels.

Dowie would be my POTY as it stands. From the St Mirren game onwards he's been pretty much an 8/10 every single week - even when others around him are having nightmares. Froxy deserves something for brightening up a fairly dull side and generally being amazing though.