Sons' sorrow

With both playoff games being on BBC Alba , how much do you reckon each team gets from TV rights ? 

Doesn’t it go into the SPFL pot? I think it does and the money shared out. That’s what happens generally with Alba.

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Doesn’t it go into the SPFL pot? I think it does and the money shared out. That’s what happens generally with Alba.

I didn’t know that mate. Asking as it’s extra games and basically a final. The more money the clubs get the better.

Yup.
I also don't think Gaz could play in a deep role for us in this league, but I think we'd all agree that he's a better option than Beany and Nisbet (albeit I thought he was decent yesterday). Kirkpatrick has the ability to be a Championship player, unfortunately he doesn't have the consistency (or at least he didn't with us). If we were to somehow swap him for Handling would I consider it a good deal though? Probably. Both can score a spectacular goal, but Kirkpatrick has more to his all-round game.
Like you say it's all about opinions. Imo apart from Taggart all the players left at the right time.
This obsessing with former players is tedious; the only thing that matters right now is how we deal with them and their team-mates this week.
The plain truth is that we got away with it yesterday, as Arbroath were demonstrably the better side - is there any Sons fan here who would have bet against them had they equalised ?
As for the lack of crowd backing and the vocal criticism, I don't indulge in it but I can understand it. Aitken is clinging to a brutal brand of football which is at times awful to watch, and folk find it puzzling that he is leaving probably his two most talented footballers on the bench.

I agree with you in that I don’t normally like the negativity. There is one guy in the row behind me who loses it completely at least once a game and yells a whole paragraph laden with expletives at a high rate of decibels.
However, yesterday was a frustrating experience watching both our team and the referee kill the game as a spectacle.
We were, not to put too fine a point on it, rank rotten yesterday and we had players on the bench who should have started the game. I’ve supported Steve Aitken 100% but I think he deserved the criticism yesterday.
I thought it was a mistake to stop applying pressure after we got the goal, that just let Arbroath gain possession and confidence. The manager is always the one to fall on his sword and I thought Stevie should have walked after Bonnyrigg, that has perhaps left a bias on my perception of him.

Okiii once made a remark that he strangles the life from every game in search of a point (or words to that effect) and that now seems to be the default position regardless of the opposition.

2 hours ago, albundy said:

I thought it was a mistake to stop applying pressure after we got the goal, that just let Arbroath gain possession and confidence. The manager is always the one to fall on his sword and I thought Stevie should have walked after Bonnyrigg, that has perhaps left a bias on my perception of him.

Okiii once made a remark that he strangles the life from every game in search of a point (or words to that effect) and that now seems to be the default position regardless of the opposition.

I just watched the Raith v Alloa semi from yesterday. Alloa's first goal from an edge of the box free kick by Kirkpatrick and a calmly taken finish by Stewart from a long ball for their second.  I was just thinking that had Dumbarton had those opportunities yesterday then the guys who might have taken them were actually sitting watching the game. We'll need to improve significantly to have a chance of taking anything from Wednesday's first leg.

You have to love the commentary.

I've been looking back on this thread.  There seems to be a feeling that those left on the bench would be changing games if only they started those games.  Well, Mark Stewart started against Caley and was pretty meh, whilsy young Burt usually looks better as an impact sub than a starter.  Wilson occasonially blows hot but mostly cold.  Froxy is the one player with any sort of the unpredictable about him but he can also be anonymous.  With the exception of Wardrop the loans have been crapiola.

Maybee we had just better accept that we have had a pretty mediocre squad this season and it doesn't really matter how the pack is shuffled.  If we manage to stay up we need a new pack.

I just watched the Raith v Alloa semi from yesterday. Alloa's first goal from an edge of the box free kick by Kirkpatrick and a calmly taken finish by Stewart from a long ball for their second.  I was just thinking that had Dumbarton had those opportunities yesterday then the guys who might have taken them were actually sitting watching the game. We'll need to improve significantly to have a chance of taking anything from Wednesday's first leg.
You have to love the commentary.

Are Alloa really that much better than Arbroath or Raith? The league 1 table suggest there's not much between them. Whilst Alloa will provide a different challenge and we would/could play better I don't get the we need to up our game or face certain doom patter. Putting in a better performance is desirable but its the result over the two legs which will count and if we shitfest ourway through that, it'll be mission accomplished.

I've been looking back on this thread.  There seems to be a feeling that those left on the bench would be changing games if only they started those games.  Well, Mark Stewart started against Caley and was pretty meh, whilsy young Burt usually looks better as an impact sub than a starter.  Wilson occasonially blows hot but mostly cold.  Froxy is the one player with any sort of the unpredictable about him but he can also be anonymous.  With the exception of Wardrop the loans have been crapiola.
Maybee we had just better accept that we have had a pretty mediocre squad this season and it doesn't really matter how the pack is shuffled.  If we manage to stay up we need a new pack.
Whilst I agree with there not being a black and white case for those on the bench, neither has there been one for those starting. No doubt the injury situation will be offered as a reason for the inconsistency and it's a factor but I think your last sentence just about sums it up.

10 minutes ago, albundy said:

Are Alloa really that much better than Arbroath or Raith? The league 1 table suggest there's not much between them. Whilst Alloa will provide a different challenge and we would/could play better I don't get the we need to up our game or face certain doom patter. Putting in a better performance is desirable but its the result over the two legs which will count and if we shitfest ourway through that, it'll be mission accomplished.

Alloa are the form side. In their last four games they've beaten Raith twice, Ayr once and had a further draw with Raith, scoring six and conceding two. FWIW I still think we can stay up but I think we have to take something in midweek.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

7 hours ago, cameron2000 said:

Graham - Probably similar to Dougie Hill. Wouldn’t start ahead of Barr or Dowie.

Taggart - Absolutely miles away from being better than Wardrop but would play him ahead of Smith

Fleming - Probably not as good as Hutton or Carswell but I would play him next to 1 of the 2 due to his forward drive and effort.

Kirkpatrick and Cawley - Would have either of them ahead of Handling but not both of them in the same team. That wouldn’t happen though as in Aitken’s mind Cawley is a winger and Kirkpatrick is a false 9.

Both were rotten at times. Kirkpatrick was here longer and showed at times what he could do but far too often he didn't look like he could be arsed. Crawley produced on decent performance vs Hibs and the rest of the time was terrible.

If I was Alloa I'd feed us our own tactics on wednesday and shitfest a draw out of it. Puts the pressure onto us in the home game to do that attacking thing we struggle with
Doubt that will happen. Home tie first suited us v Raith. Play our attacking game on a good surface before having to deal with a tattie field in the return leg. Hard game regardless of how we set up. May the best team win.

8 hours ago, sonsanorak said:
If I was Alloa I'd feed us our own tactics on wednesday and shitfest a draw out of it. Puts the pressure onto us in the home game to do that attacking thing we struggle with

On the other hand they can do what they've been successfully doing recently, look to win on their own surface and let the opposition chase them.

It would be nice if we tried to take the game to them.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III
Mistakes

The 3g surface is something we train on at Benburb so the guys should be used to it. That said, synthetic pitches are harder on ankles and ligaments and we have guys who are carrying a career worth of injuries. I missed both Arbroath games but the big worry from what I've read is the thing that's plagued us all year - attacking. We don't have a huge amount of creativity in the middle of the park. We've got Froxy and Stirling out wide but Froxy just doesn't track back so we're effectively left carrying him when we're defending. Wardrop at right back and that isn't a problem but Davie Smith isn't defensively sound and Froxy means giving him absolutely no protection.

Up front? Stewart doesn't seem like he's starting games. The obvious choice is therefore Handling up front a Walsh in the number 10 role. I really don't like that as despite scoring a couple of great goals, Handling is a poor worker and I don't see him winning the battle with competent centre halves. Stewart pulls people out of position with his movement. Handling doesn't.

We should be favourites going into this game. I wouldn't put us any more than 50/50. Alloa are the form team over the past 5 or 6 games and will fancy themselves. We need to make sure that we're still in the tie for the return leg because I don't see us scoring more than a couple of goals. Any kind of result midweek - a narrow win would be great but I'd take 0-0 right now - gives us a good chance on Sunday. If Allow were able to take a 2 goal lead at home then we'd be in big trouble.

6 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The 3g surface is something we train on at Benburb so the guys should be used to it. That said, synthetic pitches are harder on ankles and ligaments and we have guys who are carrying a career worth of injuries. I missed both Arbroath games but the big worry from what I've read is the thing that's plagued us all year - attacking. We don't have a huge amount of creativity in the middle of the park. We've got Froxy and Stirling out wide but Froxy just doesn't track back so we're effectively left carrying him when we're defending. Wardrop at right back and that isn't a problem but Davie Smith isn't defensively sound and Froxy means giving him absolutely no protection.

Up front? Stewart doesn't seem like he's starting games. The obvious choice is therefore Handling up front a Walsh in the number 10 role. I really don't like that as despite scoring a couple of great goals, Handling is a poor worker and I don't see him winning the battle with competent centre halves. Stewart pulls people out of position with his movement. Handling doesn't.

We should be favourites going into this game. I wouldn't put us any more than 50/50. Alloa are the form team over the past 5 or 6 games and will fancy themselves. We need to make sure that we're still in the tie for the return leg because I don't see us scoring more than a couple of goals. Any kind of result midweek - a narrow win would be great but I'd take 0-0 right now - gives us a good chance on Sunday. If Allow were able to take a 2 goal lead at home then we'd be in big trouble.

Wardrop hasn't featured since before the cup final where he got injured vs Brechin. Froxy hasn't been in the team for the last 5 weeks or something like that either.

I’m not sure Handling upfront is the obvious choice. He’s never played there for us and based on current performances Calum Gallagher fully deserved a start up top.

Is Gal fully fit?

If he is then he should start but wasn't he on the bench for one of the Arbroath games?

I'd actually like to see both Stewart and Gal up front. Their movement would be a problem for defenders to deal with. I just have a feeling that both will be on the bench.

I’d put Alloa favourites at the moment, based on form, and those 5 ex sons (aitkens rejects), are going to be right up for it. Will our squad be? I cant see it.

Surely Stevie has to start stewart, and Burt, and give froxy at least 20 minutes?