Sons' sorrow

9 hours ago, George Parr said:

Speaks volumes re the club's official website that my default search when trying to locate a current squad list was via Wikipedia.

The Trust made a representation to the club re the revised website and to their credit I was invited to a review meeting with the web developers on 10th May.  Unfortunately I was unable to attend but I submitted a two-page critique based on feedback from regular users with a recommendation of another club's site as an example of what supporters would expect.

I assume the meeting went ahead but I don't know any more than that.

20 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The Trust made a representation to the club re the revised website and to their credit I was invited to a review meeting with the web developers on 10th May.  Unfortunately I was unable to attend but I submitted a two-page critique based on feedback from regular users with a recommendation of another club's site as an example of what supporters would expect.

I assume the meeting went ahead but I don't know any more than that.

According to DFC, the website is a hit with fans, lol

The website designers are going to be on the back of our jerseys next season. 

snapshot_dumbartonfootballclub.com_1686209897789.png

snapshot_dumbartonfootballclub.com_1686209925029.png

On paper, it looks a good enough squad to be top 4. It would be great if Byrne can stay fit and hit double figures. We usually chip in with goals from all over the pitch, but to have someone to remove that burden would be nice. Again, though, the pitch is undoubtedly going to be a huge obstacle and the manager will have to have learned some big lessons about finding another way to play.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

According to DFC, the website is a hit with fans, lol

The website designers are going to be on the back of our jerseys next season. 

snapshot_dumbartonfootballclub.com_1686209897789.png

snapshot_dumbartonfootballclub.com_1686209925029.png

It seems every press release we put out these days has a lie in it, or a bending of the truth. I'm yet to hear one positive comment about the website. I genuinely haven't used it since it was put in place. Happy enough for them to invest some cash in us though. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

It seems every press release we put out these days has a lie in it, or a bending of the truth. I'm yet to hear one positive comment about the website. I genuinely haven't used it since it was put in place. Happy enough for them to invest some cash in us though. 

Re the website, I think the club was possibly directed to a web developer on the recommendation of a third party.  I also think that the company involved is probably good at what they do, but that doesn't include football club websites.  The work may have been carried out at a fixed cost without a clear specification and what has resulted was their best effort.  I also suspect that the shirt advert may have been an arrangement to minimise the DFC outlay.

Going into a new season with the current website will see a huge drop in traffic with consequent commercial implications so we should all hope that remedial action is planned.

Just now, microdave said:

I'm not a fan of the groups anymore and can't really be bothered by the competition at all. I'd like it to go back to a straight knockout tournament to limit us to one or two games. 

Aye, I’m with you on that. The group stages are a bit of a slog, especially since it’s so early in the season and you can’t play trialists. We look like we should have plenty of numbers this year but in years gone by we’ve been struggling. I do think the money aspect of the groups will benefit us more than a straight knockout tbf but it’s boring as hell.

We looked absolutely rotten against Stirling last year and then actually alright in the other games. I know we lost to Aberdeen but thought it was going to be a lot worse. 

Can't say I'm particularly buzzing about this year's group either and especially the way the fixtures seem likely to go. Hopefully we just use the games to figure out line ups etc 

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Also - why the hell are Cowdenbeath in the draw?

We may need to send out the @Skyline Drifter signal to explain that one because I am totally stumped.

No point asking me. I can't really explain that one either. I think there is provision in the rules to invite who they like to make up the numbers in the event of there being 5 European entrants but previous precedent has been to alternate between inviting the Highland League and Lowland League runners up. It should have been Buckie's turn this year. I don't know if they maybe turned it down or something? Of course Lowland League runners up were Rangers B so that wasn't going to happen!

Why Cowdenbeath over anyone else though? I can only assume because they are the most recent past member of the SPFL not already eligible.

Bit of a shite draw in the cup.

I like Dundee as a city, but I'm not a fan of Dens Park. Caley Thistle is potentially attractive and if I'm off work for the game then I might even do it as an overnighter. Airdrie we've played often enough in recent years. I actively dislike Bonnyrigg.

37 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Re the website, I think the club was possibly directed to a web developer on the recommendation of a third party.  I also think that the company involved is probably good at what they do, but that doesn't include football club websites.  The work may have been carried out at a fixed cost without a clear specification and what has resulted was their best effort.  I also suspect that the shirt advert may have been an arrangement to minimise the DFC outlay.

Going into a new season with the current website will see a huge drop in traffic with consequent commercial implications so we should all hope that remedial action is planned.

If that's the case it's another stupid decision. We have the knowledge in our fanbase to build a good website, it's not something you need to outsource or give away advertising space for nothing. I get theres only 2 left on the board and it's a lot to deal with so paying someone else to do it is the quick fix but a bit of engagement with fans and we could've had a better website and have shirt advertising space left to sell. 

I take it they've scrapped the North South draw?

Group A would have been preferable as we've not played St Johnstone since 96? But hey we have the champions of The Championship and Scottish cup finalists, winners of the league one playoffs. 

Glorified friendlies anyway and I'd like to think perhaps lower costs to attract a few more bodies?

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If that's the case it's another stupid decision. We have the knowledge in our fanbase to build a good website, it's not something you need to outsource or give away advertising space for nothing. I get theres only 2 left on the board and it's a lot to deal with so paying someone else to do it is the quick fix but a bit of engagement with fans and we could've had a better website and have shirt advertising space left to sell. 

There's also the point that the old website functioned reasonably well and was fine to navigate. Of all the shit we need to throw money at you'd have thought the website was pretty far down the list.

The website just feels unfinished with the only working feature being the news articles.

Whilst that was acceptable for the first couple of days, it's certainly not now. Nor does it appear to be set up to render to mobiles which I'm guessing where the majority of views come from. 

The comment about losing revenue is a valid one. Player Sponsorship page (assuming you can find it) doesn't work so immediately it creates a barrier to people handing over cash. These kind of things should be made as easy as possible.