Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, DFCTTFM said:

Is the other trialist Lachlan Byrd from airdrie? No idea if hes still there, but there is a resemblance in the picture that the clubs twitter put up.  

Is that the picture of the boy with the hair band? Byrd did leave Airdrie in the summer but I don’t think that’s him, Byrd is a lot more blonde. He was apparently playing for Aldershot on Saturday as a trialist.

33 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Is that the picture of the boy with the hair band? Byrd did leave Airdrie in the summer but I don’t think that’s him, Byrd is a lot more blonde. He was apparently playing for Aldershot on Saturday as a trialist.

I thought it may be ex ayr and Morton CB Markus fjortoft  

When I was in hospitality last season, Faz came over for a chat and was asked about our style of play.  His reply was that he'd played us openly in pre season(maybe Workington) and realised if we played like that, we'd lose far more than we win. On hearing we're trying to be possession based, I'm getting the fear that he might use the results so far to go back to the way we were last season.

2 minutes ago, microdave said:

When I was in hospitality last season, Faz came over for a chat and was asked about our style of play.  His reply was that he'd played us openly in pre season(maybe Workington) and realised if we played like that, we'd lose far more than we win. On hearing we're trying to be possession based, I'm getting the fear that he might use the results so far to go back to the way we were last season.

I think Gretna was the major game where that flagged up to him. I remember chatting to him last year, and he said we had a gameplan and style in mind. Tried to execute it and he turned to Franko at Raydale and was like 'we'll get murdered if we try this in the league'.

Fwiw I think he's very committed to the change of style. The whole of pre-season training has been based on it, as has his recruitment. He said he got his first choice additions in almost every area, so those were players signed with that formation and style of play in mind. Last night he was really pleased with the players, and made a point post-match of crediting them for their bravery in being prepared to play out from the back and try a risky pass against a Premiership side who were looking really sharp.

Obviously if it goes tits up a few games into the season we might see a change. But, certainly based on what he and the players have said after the last two games, I think this is a strategy and style he's fairly committed to.

1 minute ago, microdave said:

It's too soon to make any judgements on the style and knowing how Faz views things I think he'll be quite happy with how the games have gone regardless of results. When we made our subs in the second half you could see the energy it brought to the team, Hilton, Gray, Ruth and the boy Mason were all carrying out the high press really well and we stole a couple of balls in the middle that with better balls in the final third would've (or should've) given us chances. Even in the first half I thought Ryan Blair did quite well pushing out and pressing. I can see that causing problems to some teams in League 2, especially at the start of the season but it's when teams figure that out we'll need to adapt. I hope there's a different plan B than last years feeble counter attack but I'm content to see how plan A pans out. 

I will however make one judgement and that is that Crighton is not at all suited to playing out from the back, it was a weakness at Stenny last year and I have major concerns especially on our sand dune of a pitch. 

That's good to hear that Faz is happy with how it's going with the new style. Obviously results don't matter in friendlies. It's about getting fitness levels to where we need them and the players adapting to how we're going to play. One way to allay me fears is to go to one of the league cup games. That worked last year. I can now feel a wee bit of enthusiasm creeping in for the coming season.

8 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Thanks for feedback guys on Lynch...

Coming to terms slowly that were L2 team now and this is our budget..

See you all in the stags🍺👍

Have heard that Stags Head is closing later this month, not sure if it'll be changing hands but it's definitely rumoured to be closing.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Yep, apparently it closes on the 22nd of this month.  I'm not sure either if it will be re-opening.

The woman running the place had been ill I heard, and struggled to get bar staff, but it had also been closed on quiet midweek days too.

Changed days indeed 

The Stags closing is a weird one, it’s always jumping on a Saturday afternoon, especially when there is a game on. I was in on a Saturday night a couple of months ago after a gig in Glasgow and it was busy that night as well so they obviously do a decent trade at the weekends. 

I’ll be sad to see it go, it’s the only pub worth going to in Dumbarton these days IMO and I have fond memories of the place, especially meeting my mates for a pint before and after Sons games. 

2 hours ago, Silverton End said:

The woman running the place had been ill I heard, and struggled to get bar staff, but it had also been closed on quiet midweek days too.

Changed days indeed 

I was a regular in it for many, many years and it was a great boozer.  Those were the days of Big Iain Macdonald and whilst he could be a moody bugger he ran a very decent shop.

It's still a reasonable pub, and if someone was to take it on, tart it up a bit and plan a business model based around a three-day weekend then it could have a future for locals and the visiting hordes *.

Spoiler

* Over-excited Clyde fans excepted

31 minutes ago, ScottishD81 said:

Any lads travel up to any games from down south?

In Leeds at moment after a few years abroad. Be at the cup game on 22nd if anyone around for a pint beforehand etc 

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

@FifeSons does

I do indeed, but I won't bother with any of the cup games. First one I'll be at is Forfar at home on 19th August.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I was a regular in it for many, many years and it was a great boozer.  Those were the days of Big Iain Macdonald and whilst he could be a moody bugger he ran a very decent shop.

It's still a reasonable pub, and if someone was to take it on, tart it up a bit and plan a business model based around a three-day weekend then it could have a future for locals and the visiting hordes *.

Hide contents

* Over-excited Clyde fans excepted

I hear big Iain's in the scrap metal trade these days 

But, yes there's no reason why it couldn't be a decent local, small, live music venue on Fri/Sat nights, live football on tv Sundays & close Mon-Thurs.

Edited by Silverton End