Sons' sorrow

Garry wins more in the air than Nish ever did. Anyone who thinks that the recent slump in form is down to Nish's absence is really stretching the imagination. He really only had a few good games this season. I thought he was outstanding against Cowden in our 3-1 victory there but for some reason he put in some effort that day - an effort not much in evidence on other days.

Criticism of the 'full backs' when they are being asked to play an unfamiliar role is unfair. Craig Brittain couldn't play wing back, that was why Paul Martin dropped him. Murray has to either sign players who can play that system or sacrifice it.

Perhaps Adamson wasn't listening to him Wilf, added to the fact that the players simply didn't 'believe' in a manager who had come to be in charge of a Championship team by dint only of being an inexperienced assistant to the previous (sacked) manager.

That may be supposition on my part, but I remember being in hospitality before a game when an experienced Sons player exited the ground before kick-off after a blow-up with the manager. That suggests there were issues Wilf, and never mind Ian Murray, you and I could probably have had some sort of impact, how low had the morale become.

Just to emphasise how important the assistant manager is at DFC, I understand he supervises the training sessions in Ian Murray's absence.

It seems you conveniently forget that Adamson came to be in charge of a third tier club. The promotion to the championship was on his watch. As for players falling out with managers and morale being low, I know of several players who couldn't stand Paul Martin, Gerry McCabe and Brian Fairley, with only the latter of these having had any success in his time at the club.

Chappie despite getting us out of the bottom tier left the club after numerous bust ups with players. Ross Clark, Dennis Wyness, Michael Moore, the forward from Berwick (can't remember his name just now) were just a few of them.

Anyway that's all past and like you I think the appointment of an assistant is crucial. I'd like to see an old head coming in. It might suit someone looking for a route back into the game.

Eta - Darren Gribben was the name I couldn't remember.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

Yip hope the next week brings in a couple or three players cause we need them. Badly need them. Not convinced about the scotland rumours. How fit will he be???

I think the Scotland rumours are probably based on who is available and could do a job. He's 36 but still looked good last season for Hamilton. If he has been keeping fit then surely we could do worse?

Gary won almost everything in the air and the deck on Saturday but charleston is clueless, gary is probably our best player just now

I like Garry Fleming, but to state he is our best player is perhaps stretching it when comparing him to Kane, Graham (albeit he has gone off the boil a little in recent games) or Rogers

I'm still not sure where his best position is....he certainly isnt a striker

I like Garry Fleming, but to state he is our best player is perhaps stretching it when comparing him to Kane, Graham (albeit he has gone off the boil a little in recent games) or Rogers

I'm still not sure where his best position is....he certainly isnt a striker

at the moment he is probably up there with Rogers, but we're losing too many goals, and graham is a bit up and down at the moment

A wee bit of perspective on our current position. On January 19th 2008 we went to Stranraer and lost 2-0. We followed this up with a 4-1 home defeat by Elgin. A 3-1 reverse at Montrose was next and then a 3-0 defeat at home by East Fife. We occupied the bottom berth of the bottom tier of Scottish football. This was no undeserved accolade, we were by some way the worst team in Scotland.

Seven years later we occupy a position 23 places higher.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

A wee bit of perspective on our current position. On January 19th 2008 we went to Stranraer and lost 2-0. We followed this up with a 4-1 home defeat by Elgin. A 3-1 reverse at Montrose was next and then a 3-0 defeat at home by East Fife. We occupied the bottom berth of the bottom tier of Scottish football. This was no undeserved accolade, we were by some way the worst team in Scotland.

yeah, but last year we pure finished 25 places higher, so we did.

I don't know about anyone else, but that particular passage in time wasn't uppermost in my thoughts as the tenth home goal conceded in the last two home fixtures bulged the net on Saturday.

I'd really like us to maintain that current league position, and for that we need to assess the current state of affairs, not trawl thro the archives to a set of statistics dating from a time when the club was run, operated and financed in a very different manner from today. And at least then we could fill a subs bench.....

I don't know about anyone else, but that particular passage in time wasn't uppermost in my thoughts as the tenth home goal conceded in the last two home fixtures bulged the net on Saturday.

I'd really like us to maintain that current league position, and for that we need to assess the current state of affairs, not trawl thro the archives to a set of statistics dating from a time when the club was run, operated and financed in a very different manner from today. And at least then we could fill a subs bench.....

Aye but the bench was much smaller. . .

I wasn't saying that Saturday's defeat wasn't disappointing - it was but I have just watched it again and even in a 5-1 defeat I thought we looked not too bad. Certainly a universe away from the time where we could fill the subs bench with any passing guy with a pair of boots.

I wasn't saying that Saturday's defeat wasn't disappointing - it was but I have just watched it again and even in a 5-1 defeat I thought we looked not too bad. Certainly a universe away from the time where we could fill the subs bench with any passing guy with a pair of boots.

Wilf, I actually agree on the Livvy game; I was in hospitality with 25 workmates and they were dumbfounded at the last half-hour. After half-time you would have bet more on an equaliser than a 1-5 final scoreline.

But the point is, those who don't learn from their mistakes will surely repeat them, and after it went 2-0 there was a horrible inevitability about it all. The world and his mother can see that three centre-backs doesn't work for us so why is Ian Murray hellbent on trying to defy gravity here ? And how we are now reduced to a rump of a playing staff at a crucial point of the season surely needs to be questioned.

Everyone at DFC has worked incerdibly hard to try and establish us at a higher level, and it seems to be unravelling at breakneck speed - as I said previously it's painful to watch.