Sons' sorrow

Personally I'd be perfectly happy with Stevie g,I remember when a keeper debate started awhile back about who was the best keeper in whatever league it was, and grindlay and mcgurn were most highly rated,and we all know what raith fans think about mcgurn, and i do think stevie g was a victim of the wind in the last game against Dundee and Murray never forgave him,yet forgave all the strikers for not scoring against them that day

Personally I'd be perfectly happy with Stevie g,I remember when a keeper debate started awhile back about who was the best keeper in whatever league it was, and grindlay and mcgurn were most highly rated,and we all know what raith fans think about mcgurn, and i do think stevie g was a victim of the wind in the last game against Dundee and Murray never forgave him,yet forgave all the strikers for not scoring against them that day

I spoke to Stevie a few weeks ago and he is going to joint Beith, good luck to him as he is a far better keeper than the one we kept!!

I spoke to Stevie a few weeks ago and he is going to joint Beith, good luck to him as he is a far better keeper than the one we kept!!

Don't think either has ever been a 'far better keeper' than the other to be honest.

Edited by squeezeboxson

You're welcome! Although, it was based on a worrying conversation with a well placed source so I thought it was relevant to throw into the mix.

In future I'll run all posts passed you first.

My bull shit alarm would be worn out having that responsibility I'm afraid.

Am I the only one who is concerned by the signings so far?

Murray has moved quickly to sign Findlay on loan again and so far the only players we have signed are players from teams which finished lower than us last season. They may be good players but I would be concerned if the only players we can sign are lower league players - you sign only lower league players, prepare to be a lower league team.

Murray could (and still is) leverage loans from Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United. I would really like to see us bringing in players at that level on loan. Is the new manager able to operate at that level?

Murray has moved quickly to sign Findlay on loan again and so far the only players we have signed are players from teams which finished lower than us last season. They may be good players but I would be concerned if the only players we can sign are lower league players - you sign only lower league players, prepare to be a lower league team.

Murray could (and still is) leverage loans from Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United. I would really like to see us bringing in players at that level on loan. Is the new manager able to operate at that level?

A number of players that have served us so well in the past few years have came from lower than the championship. Agnew, Gilhaney, Graham, etc. These guys need a chance and this is the best possible place to give them a crack at this level. If they stand out against bigger names then they have a chance at taking the step up. Did anyone think Lister would have made the impact he did at us?

As much as I like Grindlay as a goalkeeper and I'm content that Ewings is part of our squad for next season, from having Danny Rogers last season, it's clear to me that we need another goalkeeper to be our Number 1. Ewings to challenge for it, but I'd like to see us move for another Rogers type as our first choice.

I can't say I'd put Lee Robinson in that bracket whatsoever. He's a decent enough goalkeeper, but not in the same class as Rogers, and wouldn't be better than what we have at the moment.

I do also hope that Aitken is able to recruit some loanees from the top division as Murray did last season. I'm more than happy with our signings so far, but it shows when you have SPL quality in the side, as evidenced when we had Findlay, Rogers and Kane.

Findlay clearly can play at a higher standard than us, don't think anyone's surprised he's went to St mirren on loan especially after working with Murray last year.

I would much rather see us pluck the best of the teams "below" us, players who want to better themselves and are hungry to progress, rather than repeats of Colin Nish and lee mair.

Yeah Murray brought in 3 excellent loanees, Kane, rogers and findlay but these were evened out with easton, Petrie and Duggan. So just because they play for bigger teams doesn't always mean they will be good for us.

We are playing in a cracking league and I have no doubt that if we are looking to supplement the squad with a few loanees then aitken will have no problem taking a few bodies from the premiership development league.

So aye, totally disagree with your "sign lower league players to be a lower league team" crap. Partick have signed players from the juniors, erskine, cairney, doolan.. They done well. Same with dundee United, spittal and robertson both coming from Queen's Park and look how Robertson especially turned out. Even fleming for has been a solid player at this level.

I mean we could sign Mark Wilson, DVZ, Mair and Nish. They'd be far better than plucking talent from below us.

The season is barely finished, loan signings always come later.

Are you absolutely certain of that ? If not, allow me to put a slightly different slant on it for everyone. The word I had was that in the case of Findlay and Petrie, to name but two, loan deals came about as a result of their agents approaching Dumbarton FC and not through any overtures from Ian Murray. If that can be proven to be incorrect I'll stand to be corrected.

Murray obviously saw enough in Findlay to galvanise himself with his new St Mirren hat on, or he made suggestions to whoever at Paisley to fix him up - fair enough.

Murray's record at DFC stands as exemplary. But there's been a lot of under the radar stuff; never mind loan deals, his final week as Dumbarton Manager was interesting to say the least.

I was always concerned at his ability to identify and attract players, and as Moonster has already pointed out we'd likely be starting next season with then remnants of last term's team, or at least the ones who never buggered off at the earliest opportunity.

Give Stevie Aitken and Stevie Farrell every chance.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Are you absolutely certain of that ? If not, allow me to put a slightly different slant on it for everyone. The word I had was that in the case of Findlay and Petrie, to name but two, loan deals came about as a result of their agents approaching Dumbarton FC and not through any overtures from Ian Murray. If that can be proven to be incorrect I'll stand to be corrected.

Murray obviously saw enough in Findlay to galvanise himself with his new St Mirren hat on, or he made suggestions to whoever at Paisley to fix him up - fair enough.

Murray's record at DFC stands as exemplary. But there's been a lot of under the radar stuff; never mind loan deals, his final week as Dumbarton Manager was interesting to say the least.

I was always concerned at his ability to identify and attract players, and as Moonster has already pointed out we'd likely be starting next season with then remnants of last term's team, or at least the ones who never buggered off at the earliest opportunity.

Give Stevie Aitken and Stevie Farrell every chance.

Good post

I mean we could sign Mark Wilson, DVZ, Mair and Nish. They'd be far better than plucking talent from below us.

The season is barely finished, loan signings always come later.

Spot on, I'd far rather we signed players from lower divisions with something to prove than past it 'has beens' getting a final pay packet.

Stee and Faz have been in the job a week and signed two of the supposed best from the league below on the first day of being in the job. It's safe to say they're working hard. We've still got pretty much a full squad to bring in and players will still be weighing up their options/waiting to return from holidays before making a decision. We're not the only team looking at very few signings made at the moment.

One thing we can be sure of is that we're an attractive option (if not the most attractive) for part time players, highlighted by Cawley moving to us from Alloa and apparently knocking back a full time offer to stay part time. Stee seems an ambitious guy too, I'm sure he's doing all he can to sell the club to players. We need to trust him, he can be judged on his results rather than his signings. We need to remember the initial reaction to Jim Lister signing to know that.

A lot of clubs will also be looking at their youth players in pre season and deciding what is best for them. I'm sure if there are options there we will be looking at them and our record of helping loan players get game time in this league is pretty good.

When my contract ends at Hibs in 2017. I'll move to the Sons.

Eoin SOL David, you need to stop changing your display name on here, I didn't recognise you.

Wait...you are the user formally known as Eoin Doyle aren't you?