Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I think he played most commonly in behind the striker at Annan last season where he scored plenty. For us he's played mainly out wide, or in a deep midfield position. He's been pretty competent if unspectacular in both positions.

Only slightly less meh than Scott Brown was for us last season.

21 hours ago, rockson said:

I was in a junk/second hand warehouse place today and picked up an issue of Goal magazine.

Thumbing through it I came across the Sons' league placing that week in November 1973.

Eighth.

In the top Division.

The previous Saturday's results were given towards the end. Dumbarton 3-0 Motherwell.

The Sons team was given as Williams, C McAdam, Wilkinson, Menzies, Cushley, Ruddy, Coleman, Wallace, McCormack, Patterson, Heron. John Bourke came on as a sub for Peter Coleman and Johnny Graham for Brian Heron. Scorers were Heron, Bourke and McCormack.

Those were the days, eh? I believe we finished tenth that season.

Doubt we'll see their like again.

I remember it well. Brian Heron and Ross Mathie were both signed that morning. It was very exciting to sign two (reasonably well known) players from other teams (I think Ross Mathie came from Kilmarnock). Brian Heron scored with a spectacular (almost horizontal) header into the big end.

Brian Heron & Ross Mathie were signed the previous season. I think it was just before the end of the signing deadline, so maybe around the end of February 1973? I've a feeling one of their first matches together might have been against a Zoltan Varga inspired Aberdeen at Pittodrie where we were cuffed 6-0. Could be totally wrong about that though!

1 hour ago, boagheidboab said:

I was at the first game after Ross Mathie and Brian Heron signed. I might be wrong but I seem to remember it being an evening game

The first game they both appeared at home was a 5-3 defeat by Airdrie on 07/03/1973 at Boghead. It was an evening game and Mathie played a blinder, scoring 2 goals.

The 6-0 defeat at Pittodrie on 20/02/1973 was indeed their debut for the club.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

8 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

The first game they both appeared at home was a 5-3 defeat by Airdrie on 07/03/1973 at Boghead. It was an evening game and Mathie played a blinder, scoring 2 goals.

The 6-0 defeat at Pittodrie on 20/02/1973 was indeed their debut for the club.

Ah yes, and John Cushley had his jaw broken by a local publican ;) in a very subtle demonstration of the violent black arts.

St Mirren have apparently beaten us and Queens to the loan signing of Craig Storie from Aberdeen - he seems to be a more defensive central midfielder....which is giving me the fear that we might be losing Joe Thomson.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14979417.St_Mirren_have_some_festive_cheer_with_new_addition_Craig_Storie/

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

St Mirren have apparently beaten us and Queens to the loan signing of Craig Storie from Aberdeen - he seems to be a more defensive central midfielder....which is giving me the fear that we might be losing Joe Thomson.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14979417.St_Mirren_have_some_festive_cheer_with_new_addition_Craig_Storie/

Aye, that would indeed suggest he's offski, unless it's to compensate for the fact we planned to use Darren Barr in midfield but he's having to cover at centre back due to Fraz being fucked.

If Thomson is staying and we're looking at defensive midfielders then I'm just as concerned. It's not really what we need if we keep Thomson.

33 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, that would indeed suggest he's offski, unless it's to compensate for the fact we planned to use Darren Barr in midfield but he's having to cover at centre back due to Fraz being fucked.

If Thomson is staying and we're looking at defensive midfielders then I'm just as concerned. It's not really what we need if we keep Thomson.

Aye, either way it's a bit concerning. In saying that Stevie seems to have a thing for defensively minded central midfielders. Last season we had Barr, Lindsay, Gallagher, Routledge, Sparky, Taggart and Scott Brown all play in there and nobody who could actually do 'the Aggy role' of pinging a few passes around - hopefully Storie was just another one to add to the pile...

Incidentally I just combined the amount of goals the above players scored last season. They managed nine between them (3 for Barr, 0 for Lindsay, 4 for Gallagher, 0 for Routledge, 2 for Sparky, 0 for Taggart and 0 for Brown. 

I don't want to sound all panic merhcanty here, but if we lose Joe Thomson then we're gubbed. He has the Jamie Lindsay effect of making us a far, far better team.

14 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye, either way it's a bit concerning. In saying that Stevie seems to have a thing for defensively minded central midfielders. Last season we had Barr, Lindsay, Gallagher, Routledge, Sparky, Taggart and Scott Brown all play in there and nobody who could actually do 'the Aggy role' of pinging a few passes around - hopefully Storie was just another one to add to the pile...

Incidentally I just combined the amount of goals the above players scored last season. They managed nine between them (3 for Barr, 0 for Lindsay, 4 for Gallagher, 0 for Routledge, 2 for Sparky, 0 for Taggart and 0 for Brown. 

I don't want to sound all panic merhcanty here, but if we lose Joe Thomson then we're gubbed. He has the Jamie Lindsay effect of making us a far, far better team.

Very disappointing if Thomson leaves. The only other thing I can think of is if we are expecting Gallagher to be out for a further lengthy period? Wasn't he to be going for a scan on his injury?

13 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That sounds terribly panicky to me. I like Joe Thomson, I hope we keep him and he seems to be enjoying his football here so I'd like to think Celtic will let him stay, but if he goes I can't accept we're gubbed. We'd only be gubbed if we didn't bother trying to replace him, which I doubt we'll do. But lets be honest, who had even heard of Joe Thomson before we signed him (aside from a few Football Manager players)? Who knew if he was any good?  There will be quite a few lads in top flight youth sides who will do a similar job to him.

In any case, we have Gall to come back in the new year, problem solved...

Just now, The Moonster said:

That sounds terribly panicky to me. I like Joe Thomson, I hope we keep him and he seems to be enjoying his football here so I'd like to think Celtic will let him stay, but if he goes I can't accept we're gubbed. We'd only be gubbed if we didn't bother trying to replace him, which I doubt we'll do. But lets be honest, who had even heard of Joe Thomson before we signed him (aside from a few Football Manager players)? Who knew if he was any good?  There will be quite a few lads in top flight youth sides who will do a similar job to him.

In any case, we have Gall to come back in the new year, problem solved...

You may be able to see why I fear that we could be gubbed. Given that, when he's fit again, Gallagher will be back in the team (of that I have no doubts) I wouldn't be shocked to see him as Joe's replacement should he leave.

Akin to Jamie Lindsay last season we are a far, far better team with him in it. He's not always noticeable, but when he isn't playing it's very apparent. Now, granted a lot has changed since then, but look at our midfield's performances pre-Thomson in the Betfred Cup - they were horrible. We might well be able to get another player of a similar quality in, but then we might be left in a situation that can only be described in one word. Hacksaw.

We lost Chris Kane, but replaced him with a guy who was scoring a decent number of goals for a poorer side in the same development league. On top of that he was a big powerful presence. On paper he should've been the ideal replacement. We all know how that ended up. By the same token we lost Nicky Devlin and brought in some St Mirren full-back called Paul McGinn. I believe he was kept out the team by David Van Zanten. He turned out not too bad...

Still, Celtic were sound with Lindsay so hopefully they'll be the same with Joe. I've just got a serious case of the fear that we might end up without Joe Thomson just as we begin to find a bit of form.

I fully understand the concerns and the effect Joe has on the team. But he's not a world beater and we've had a number of players similar to him pass through the club over the last 5 years. He's good but he's replaceable. 

Can we just calm doon until something other than a newspaper linking us loosely to a central midfielder actually happens?

I fully understand the concerns and the effect Joe has on the team. But he's not a world beater and we've had a number of players similar to him pass through the club over the last 5 years. He's good but he's replaceable. 
Can we just calm doon until something other than a newspaper linking us loosely to a central midfielder actually happens?

^^^ knows we're fucked but trying to put a brave face on

8d74d77287ec89d3d06dc3426016ed2f.jpg