Sons' sorrow

30 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I wonder if we're wanting shot of him or it's him wanting to leave. Despite being shunted around he's been a regular starter in the Championship so I'd be fairly astounded if that's the reason he's leaving.

Maybe the amateur contract is indeed only covering travel expenses and he's wanting out due to that.

He obviously only came to us in the hope of getting a move somewhere else. Since that hasn't happened he probably thinks he's as well going back to Annan and at least getting paid. He's nowhere near good enough for the Championship anyway. As for Thomson moving to QOS that's disappointing but it only emphasises how the whole loan system makes a mockery of clubs trying to build a team for the season. 

He obviously only came to us in the hope of getting a move somewhere else. Since that hasn't happened he probably thinks he's as well going back to Annan and at least getting paid. He's nowhere near good enough for the Championship anyway. As for Thomson moving to QOS that's disappointing but it only emphasises how the whole loan system makes a mockery of clubs trying to build a team for the season. 

If he thinks he's going to get a move elsewhere after 5 months of Championship football after stepping up from League 2 then he's a bit daft.

So let me work this out... Joe Thompson moves to QoS but presumably still trains with Celtic thro the week; if so he meets his team-mates only on match days and plays in a game if selected.

Where exactly in that scenario is there difference between what he currently does at a P/T club and what he will be doing at a F/T one ?

No matter, the world will still go on. 

So let me work this out... Joe Thompson moves to QoS but presumably still trains with Celtic thro the week; if so he meets his team-mates only on match days and plays in a game if selected.
Where exactly in that scenario is there difference between what he currently does at a P/T club and what he will be doing at a F/T one ?
No matter, the world will still go on. 

I can only assume if he's heading there he will train with them all week? Full loan kinda thing.

Either way I fail to see how it will aid his development any further that his current situation with ourselves. Being part of a full-time squad doesn't magically enhance a players development.

Doesn't really make too much difference surely if he goes to Queens? He will play against the same opponents and I'd have thought Celtic would be happier when they can see him in training and stuff. 

As I said before, I don't think he is even close to being irreplaceable, as good as he has been.

6 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Doesn't really make too much difference surely if he goes to Queens? He will play against the same opponents and I'd have thought Celtic would be happier when they can see him in training and stuff. 

As I said before, I don't think he is even close to being irreplaceable, as good as he has been.

The thing is it's a situation we simply could do without when the squad already needs some pretty major work. Obviously he's not irreplaceable, but look at our performances without him: The Betfred Cup shambles, the 1-0 defeat to Stranraer and 0-0 with Bonnyrigg.  

He's started every game he's been fit for since signing and has been absolutely crucial in finally giving our midfield some energy and drive. I don't think we should underestimate how good he has been, and how important a role he's quietly and effectively performed so far this season. Losing him and Todd will leave us with (as things currently stand) central midfield options of Sparky, Stanton, Stevo or Gaz (if we drop him deeper again). Combine those four players into any couple and I'd not feel too confident - even if it is only for a few weeks until we can sort something.

Bringing in players in January is almost always tougher than it is at other points in the year and, FWIW, I doubt that we could bring in another player as good as him at this moment in time. I really feel for Stevie here as, from a purely outsiders point of view, this loan deal looks to be working well. He's getting regular game-time and Celtic can keep a close eye on his progress.

Hopefully the Harvie deal gets extended. It's incredible that he's 2 years younger than McCallum - we've really watched him develop a lot in the 4 months he's been here so far, from the nervy kid against Dunfermline to a solid, reliable, quick left-back.

In all honesty I think we'd struggle to replace him with a player as good. He's been one of, if not our best performer this season and to lose him in January would be a bit of a blow. We struck gold with Kaneo in January but we've had plenty of duds joining us on loan as well. For every Chris Kane there's 5 Scott Browns.

I'm by no means panicking but having to replace our best midfielder in January is absolutely far from ideal. If he does indeed leave and we manage to find a replacement that's just as good then fair enough but I certainly wont be holding my breath.

28 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

The thing is it's a situation we simply could do without when the squad already needs some pretty major work. Obviously he's not irreplaceable, but look at our performances without him: The Betfred Cup shambles, the 1-0 defeat to Stranraer and 0-0 with Bonnyrigg. 

He played 90 minutes in the Bonnyrigg defeat and more than an hour in our defeat to Ayr. By no means am I blaming him for those defeats but those two results were by far our worst this season (in the Bonnyrigg case perhaps the worst ever) and he was heavily involved. There's nothing to suggest we'd have won the Betfred Cup group or beaten Stranraer if he was playing. 

I hear we're paying a decent wedge for him, so if he does go we should have ample funds to find a replacement. I agree it's easier if he stays but it's by no means a massive disaster.

43 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

He played 90 minutes in the Bonnyrigg defeat and more than an hour in our defeat to Ayr. By no means am I blaming him for those defeats but those two results were by far our worst this season (in the Bonnyrigg case perhaps the worst ever) and he was heavily involved. There's nothing to suggest we'd have won the Betfred Cup group or beaten Stranraer if he was playing. 

I hear we're paying a decent wedge for him, so if he does go we should have ample funds to find a replacement. I agree it's easier if he stays but it's by no means a massive disaster.

I know, and I'm not saying that we would've got through the Betfred group with him either - but we're evidently a far, far better team with him in the side. When the team plays well Thomson plays well and, as BBPF says, given that he's our best midfielder losing him at this stage in the season (when we've just found a settled team) is a pretty horrible situation for us to find ourselves in.

We might have the funds, but given the somewhat scattergun signing policy I can't say him hugely positive that we'll find a replacement who'll be as effective. 

Edit: To be fair iirc he was the only player who played in the defeat to Ayr deserving of pass marks and his subbing was (pretty loudly) 'boo'd'.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

40 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Once again, I completely agree. Was just about to post more or less this. He has been good but it is as important we don't over estimate how much he has done. I don't deny I would rather keep him, but I also feel he wouldn't be as great a loss as S08 thinks he would.

He has had some stinking games this season as well. Didn't know anything about wages but maybe it wouldn't be the worst to replace one player with two at this point.

So08, was the ayr game not the saturday after Joe had played for Celtic midweek away to aston villa? If so, I thought he looked tired in that game.

I do accept he's a good player; but would put Aldo, bucky and barr above him in consistently performing well.

6 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

So08, was the ayr game not the saturday after Joe had played for Celtic midweek away to aston villa? If so, I thought he looked tired in that game.

I do accept he's a good player; but would put Aldo, bucky and barr above him in consistently performing well.

Really?

He has been one of the most inconsistent.

2 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Aye it was. He was still our best player that day though and, tired or not, should never have been taken off. That performance was woeful enough, and the last thing we needed to do was remove our one guy who wasn't being played off the park.

I think in terms of 'Must not lose' if that's such a thing I'd have Aldo, Bucky and Gaz, with Joe and David Smith in the 'difficult to replace' category.

Time will tell if I'm being too pessimistic - I mean we might not even lose him! - but I must say that I'd be hugely concerned and disappointed to see him go, especially to a club in a very similar position to ourselves. Akin to Jamie Lindsay last season I think he's the sort of player who you only realise how much you miss him when he isn't playing.

If we're speaking about freeing up wages then I'd like to imagine that getting rid of Brown, Stevo and Pettigrew (if at all possible) might free up enough for us to boost the squad a bit.

If we lose harvie and joe due to loans ending, todd leaves, then ditch stevo, petts and brown we re leaving ourself open to having a smaller pool at the end of the transfer window if we cant get players in.

That and a 6 or 7 player turnover at any time can be dodgy.

8 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

If we lose harvie and joe due to loans ending, todd leaves, then ditch stevo, petts and brown we re leaving ourself open to having a smaller pool at the end of the transfer window if we cant get players in.

That and a 6 or 7 player turnover at any time can be dodgy.

That's just it. If we end up without Thomson, Harvie and Todd but still with Stevo, Brown and Pettigrew then I don't think we've had a good transfer window at all unless we get some serious decent additions. As you say too the turnover of players can take a while to settle in and for Stevie to find his best team. It's an unenviable position for the management really in a league where we might not have the time to bed players in.

Still, at least January should be interesting! Anybody care to make up a positive rumour that we can all get excited about?