Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, DobbiesAgent said:

Clydebank would beat us I reckon 

I mean, a few years ago they beat Clyde when they were in L1 and Elgin in L2, so obviously they could beat us. I'd want it to experience the derby, which I never got.

Edited by FifeSons

7 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

*joint-third

He’s totally relaxed, not a care in the world. Knows he’s under no pressure, whatsoever.

I don't think I've ever seen him have to answer a difficult question. I get that his own club's coverage isn't going to exactly grill him, but I suspect that runs throughout the club, and he's not answerable to anyone.

Usually 2 defeats on the trot might have resulted in being asked to come & see the Chairman on monday morning, just to see if everything's ok, any problems etc

Won't happen though.

5 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As soon as the defeats Start @DobbiesAgent re-appears… and by the sounds of things is about to burst a blood vessel with rage. Chill oot man.

No wander man. The guy is killing any ounce of motivation to want to go watch the sons when he’s serving up pish like that. 

its 3 years of crap not just a few defeats

Edited by DobbiesAgent

The last two games have got me thinking a couple of things - that maybe this squad looks a lot better on paper than it does in reality, or maybe it isn't being successfully managed and motivated.  And it's also become noticeable that once the opposition deals with the opening half-hour they grow in both confidence and control, with an increasingly predictable outcome.

Dobbies Agent might get a bit overheated at times but he's not wrong; we ended up utterly bombing last season but the get-out-of-jail card was the target of a Play-Off place.  Play-Offs which by the way saw us produce one of the worst Dumbarton performances in living memory at Annan, all of which after a contract extension.

So here we are this season, with history already beginning to repeat itself via a good away win at Stenny already beginning to look like an outlier.  I'd like to think that this season's target is automatic promotion and serious consideration is currently being given by the DFC Board as to how we achieve that and who it may involve. 

Since relegation we've never been out of the playoff places. And actually haven't spent much time out of the top two.

That makes the next two games, Stranraer and Clyde, massive imo. If we end the first quarter with two defeats against sides with far smaller budgets (based on squads) and are outside the top four then part of me thinks that there might start to be a bit of heat on Faz. That first quarter milestone was the straw that broke the camel's back with Stevie Aitken.

I feel for him to a degree. He can't be held responsible for Mark Durnan blazing over an open goal yesterday, or Jinky Hilton missing a one-on-one last week at 0-0. But the apathy around the club really is horrible. Yesterday there wasn't even much anger when the goal went in, more a resigned, collective sigh.

26 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Since relegation we've never been out of the playoff places. And actually haven't spent much time out of the top two.

That makes the next two games, Stranraer and Clyde, massive imo. If we end the first quarter with two defeats against sides with far smaller budgets (based on squads) and are outside the top four then part of me thinks that there might start to be a bit of heat on Faz. That first quarter milestone was the straw that broke the camel's back with Stevie Aitken.

I feel for him to a degree. He can't be held responsible for Mark Durnan blazing over an open goal yesterday, or Jinky Hilton missing a one-on-one last week at 0-0. But the apathy around the club really is horrible. Yesterday there wasn't even much anger when the goal went in, more a resigned, collective sigh.

Might start to be a bit of heat on Faz? :lol:

His face has been burning at the fireplace for over a year now, if he's not feeling it then perhaps a few more logs on the fire will do it. 

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Might start to be a bit of heat on Faz? :lol:

His face has been burning at the fireplace for over a year now, if he's not feeling it then perhaps a few more logs on the fire will do it. 

I mean internally. If we're in the top four places I don't think he'll have any pressure on him from the club. I could be wrong in that regard, but it felt the case last season.

If we're out of the top four when the objective is clearly promotion then that's when questions could start to be asked. But it's not a situation we've seen yet.

7 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I mean internally. If we're in the top four places I don't think he'll have any pressure on him from the club. I could be wrong in that regard, but it felt the case last season.

If we're out of the top four when the objective is clearly promotion then that's when questions could start to be asked. But it's not a situation we've seen yet.

For me the objective is winning the league this year and for a lot of the guys that signed up that was their objective too. With our embarrassing failures in the last two years play offs I don't have any hope of navigating them this time. With those 2 failures Farrell was (or should be) under immediate pressure to get this team performing. For me a poor first quarter should see him bagged, and so far it's on the line between underwhelming and poor. From what folk say on here about the club internally I have roughly zero hope or expectation that he will be bagged though. 

Edited by The Moonster

44 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The reason for the apathy is the collective resignation of the diminishing number of folk who are now turning up.  It's almost as if people have seen this movie before.

As for the statistical precision of league placings whilst actually missing out on promotion, other than the Scottish League payout that has no more force than saying that we've never lost to Sparta Prague in European competition - factually accurate but utterly meaningless.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The last two games have got me thinking a couple of things - that maybe this squad looks a lot better on paper than it does in reality, or maybe it isn't being successfully managed and motivated.  And it's also become noticeable that once the opposition deals with the opening half-hour they grow in both confidence and control, with an increasingly predictable outcome.

Dobbies Agent might get a bit overheated at times but he's not wrong; we ended up utterly bombing last season but the get-out-of-jail card was the target of a Play-Off place.  Play-Offs which by the way saw us produce one of the worst Dumbarton performances in living memory at Annan, all of which after a contract extension.

So here we are this season, with history already beginning to repeat itself via a good away win at Stenny already beginning to look like an outlier.  I'd like to think that this season's target is automatic promotion and serious consideration is currently being given by the DFC Board as to how we achieve that and who it may involve. 

Which Farrell told us was a total freak result, despite admitting himself we’d have conceded 10 at the same venue, just a few weeks before, if it hadn’t been for Long. Then him and the club had the audacity to label the season a tremendous succession and say he didn’t know why Sons fans weren’t happy.

Really cannot stand this clown.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The reason for the apathy is the collective resignation of the diminishing number of folk who are now turning up.  It's almost as if people have seen this movie before.

As for the statistical precision of league placings whilst actually missing out on promotion, other than the Scottish League payout that has no more force than saying that we've never lost to Sparta Prague in European competition - factually accurate but utterly meaningless.

For us, aye. But if Faz was given the objective of making the playoffs and achieves it then he's well within his rights to say that he's achieved (or is on track to achieve) those objectives. Obviously only he and the board will know what the objectives are and how those conversations went.

Screenshot_20230924-131855.thumb.png.f78447937aad20cbf2736d977ebab65b.png

59 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

For us, aye. But if Faz was given the objective of making the playoffs and achieves it then he's well within his rights to say that he's achieved (or is on track to achieve) those objectives. Obviously only he and the board will know what the objectives are and how those conversations went.

Screenshot_20230924-131855.thumb.png.f78447937aad20cbf2736d977ebab65b.png

Well that message is something we can all agree on - Greig Young has been absolutely excellent and yesterday was a very cruel blow for the lad.  Every best wish for a speedy recovery.

I like how he says in his post match that Peterhead didn’t cause us any issues yet they somehow mustered up over a dozen shots of at least 1/2 were on target. 

we were under the cosh yet he’s blind to any criticism at all

57 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

They are seventh in the Highland League with at least one game in hand.  Let's hope it doesn't turn out as Banana Skin O'Dee.

I actually really hope it does. Any luck it would end farrell run