Sons' sorrow

Pelters? You know, Murray could be wrong too. You could both be right of course, all I gave was my opinion that 6 points from a possible 30 might not be enough. There's always mad results at this time in the season and if we lose today (if the game goes ahead) I'm not sure 6 points will be enough.

There's no way we're scoring another 13 points and Livi 18 more. 6 is way more than enough regardless of what Alloa do.

Pelters? You know, Murray could be wrong too. You could both be right of course, all I gave was my opinion that 6 points from a possible 30 might not be enough. There's always mad results at this time in the season and if we lose today (if the game goes ahead) I'm not sure 6 points will be enough.

It was just an opinion........

There's no way we're scoring another 13 points and Livi 18 more. 6 is way more than enough regardless of what Alloa do.

That's how I see it. It's another argument if we should have a higher ambition than 7th or indeed 8th. We still have to get those six points and it won't be easy but a win today would be a huge step to safety.

Just checking through remaining games in league. Last season sons finished on 51 points whilst cowdenbeath and Alloa got 40 to finish eighth and ninth. Dundee won with 69 which hearts already have.

By my calculations this season we will finish with only 33 points. Alloa I guess will get 28 points with cowdenbeath on 27. Livingston I reckon will.finish bottom on 20.

So a mere 6 points from 9 games should keep us in the championship for a fourth season

I know it has been a.tough season but hopefully once again we can be the top part time team in the leagues.

Just checking through remaining games in league. Last season sons finished on 51 points whilst cowdenbeath and Alloa got 40 to finish eighth and ninth. Dundee won with 69 which hearts already have.

By my calculations this season we will finish with only 33 points. Alloa I guess will get 28 points with cowdenbeath on 27. Livingston I reckon will.finish bottom on 20.

So a mere 6 points from 9 games should keep us in the championship for a fourth season

I know it has been a.tough season but hopefully once again we can be the top part time team in the leagues.

See, I get what this means, but I just don't get the importance quite a few people place on this? Isn't it a bit like aiming to be the best singer in the Spice Girls?

Or another way, if us and either Cowden or Alloa were the ony PT teams in the league, and we ended up 2nd bottom and in the playoffs, would people still be crowing about "being the best PT team in the leagues"?

See, I get what this means, but I just don't get the importance quite a few people place on this? Isn't it a bit like aiming to be the best singer in the Spice Girls?

Or another way, if us and either Cowden or Alloa were the ony PT teams in the league, and we ended up 2nd bottom and in the playoffs, would people still be crowing about "being the best PT team in the leagues"?

I consider being the top part-time team an achievement. Obviously if we finished in a relegation spot with only one other PT team in the league it would detract from it a bit but it's still an achievement to be proud of.

I wouldn't say folk place a huge importance on it from what I've seen but they are quite right to see it as something to be proud of or brag about it. It's only natural we'll compare ourselves to other PT teams when you consider the gulf in budget and time on the training pitch between PT and FT teams. I'd imagine working on things like set pieces and team shape must be difficult when you only have 2 evenings of training per week.

I consider being the top part-time team an achievement. Obviously if we finished in a relegation spot with only one other PT team in the league it would detract from it a bit but it's still an achievement to be proud of.

I wouldn't say folk place a huge importance on it from what I've seen but they are quite right to see it as something to be proud of or brag about it. It's only natural we'll compare ourselves to other PT teams when you consider the gulf in budget and time on the training pitch between PT and FT teams. I'd imagine working on things like set pieces and team shape must be difficult when you only have 2 evenings of training per week.

This.

We should be proud of being the top wee team.

If we were in the scenario posed by Boghead Ranter, we'd still be the top wee team.

We'd go down fighting as well!!

Glad to give the ranter the chance to rant. The point I was making is that we will.never win the premier league or even the championship. We won't win the Scottish cup,league cup or get into Europe. The best we can hope for is to stay in the championship and be the best part time team. So basically this is as good as it gets.

BTW always preferred baby spice. Never liked geri halliwell.

But Stranraer would be guaranteed six points from us - at their place, where our record is awful

thats only in cup competitions....and only when we're 2 up.....we'll be fine in league games lol

Edited by aftershocker

I hate Stranraer. It's a garbage away day. I hate the journey down, I hate the ground and I hate the fans.

:lol:

The journey is a b*****d but I can't say I've disliked much about Stranraer when we're there, Sons performances aside. The grounds alright I think.

:lol:

The journey is a b*****d but I can't say I've disliked much about Stranraer when we're there, Sons performances aside. The grounds alright I think.

It's a bizzare place, not somewhere I'm fond of.

I remember a group of about 20 Stranraer weans running towards Sons fans boarding the bus home launching stones in our direction. One of those dafuq moments in life and pretty much my main memory of visiting Stranraer.

Twenty years ago tomorrow, Helensburgh postman Hugh Ward scored a hat-trick in Dumbarton's 5-1 win over Stenhousemuir. One of three games in March 1995 when he became a talisman in Sons' promotion push during 'Forthbank season'.

Article on him here: https://thedumbartonterrace.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/hugh-ward-what-if/