NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I don't even understand half of this post.

I know what he did was incredibly stupid but I'm looking at it from the view of the possible suspension. Is it okay to strike a woman? No, but Greg Hardy, Junior Gallette and many others are on NFL rosters.

Wasnt talking about suspension. If the allegations are true (can we just preface every post on the subject with that from here on), it'll be ludicrous if the Jets dont cut him outright. It's much worse to go on a high speed chase with police and race at near 150 miles an hour with a child in your car than it is to hit a woman. Youre literally inches away from killing at least 3 people every second youre doing that. One misjudged overtake or turn taken too fast or whatever and youre talking life changing injuries at the very least for everybody involved. Then to allegedly reach for a semi-automatic weapon when confronted by police on top of that?

Wasnt talking about suspension. If the allegations are true (can we just preface every post on the subject with that from here on), it'll be ludicrous if the Jets dont cut him outright. It's much worse to go on a high speed chase with police and race at near 150 miles an hour with a child in your car than it is to hit a woman. Youre literally inches away from killing at least 3 people every second youre doing that. One misjudged overtake or turn taken too fast or whatever and youre talking life changing injuries at the very least for everybody involved. Then to allegedly reach for a semi-automatic weapon when confronted by police on top of that?

Again, I agree that what he did was stupid. Very stupid. I also don't think there is much point in arguing how bad it was in relation to other crimes as that is personal opinion and also irrelevant to my point.

The point I am making is that he is still going to have a large role to play in the NFL over the next 2+ years unless more off field situations occur. History dictates that in the NFL (and sports in general) that talent trumps everything but murder. Richardson is a young top 5 DT who arguably hasn't reached his peak yet.

The Jets would be silly to cut him outright at this stage. He has to do a whole lot more to make it so that his behaviour outweighs his talent. This will affect his future contracts and money though. Best case scenario is the Jets implement a Dez Braynt-esque chaperone scenario, give him pay as you play contract and cut him if anything else happens.

Do you believe the Ravens were right to sit and hope the Ray Rice event went away without too much of a fuss before they acted?

Tbf while they were stupid to do so given his drop off in play the prior year, he would still be playing for the Ravens now if he was the pre 2013 Ray Rice.

The one thing the Jets fans are right about here is that mega talents like Richardson, Gordon etc will get chance after chance as long as they maintain there level of play of the field. They will get less remuneration in their next contract, but they won't be cut for anything short of murder, a la Hernandez.

Tbf while they were stupid to do so given his drop off in play the prior year, he would still be playing for the Ravens now if he was the pre 2013 Ray Rice.

The one thing the Jets fans are right about here is that mega talents like Richardson, Gordon etc will get chance after chance as long as they maintain there level of play of the field. They will get less remuneration in their next contract, but they won't be cut for anything short of murder, a la Hernandez.

Well there in lies the issue not willing to take a stand when something like this happens.

I'm all for rehabilitation of players once they have been punished however they need to go through that process first before they should be afforded that chance.

He has already been charged previously for a weed smoking offence I believe and this then happened which is much much much worse.

Anything less than him being cut opens the jets up to being slated the way the Ravens were for not cutting Rice until it came out in public (bearing in mind this is already out in public) and i'm pretty sure there was quite a few Jets fans doing the slating!!!!

Its not like this is just weed charges he's facing though: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2535672-sheldon-richardson-allegations-shows-some-nfl-players-still-dont-get-it

As Bishy points out, Ray Rice wasn't half the player he used to be so cutting him wouldn't be much of a loss. The important thing to remember is how much of a PR nightmare the Rice situation was for the Ravens and the NFL. There isn't as much of a social backlash with Richardson's offence as with Ray Rice.

Also worth noting that Richardson wasn't criminally charged with marijuana use, it was a violation of the league's policy.

Misdemeanour and traffic violations?

I'd still contend that what Ray Rice did was worse.

6 games I reckon he will get. I don't think the Jets will cut him and I don't think any team would do that if it was one of their top players. I do agree that it's going to cost him some dollars in his next contract.....which may help the Jets in trying to keep him.

Again, it wholly depends on your financial status. Ray Lewis made a murder charge disappear ffs.

Because he took a plea deal and grassed on the other 2 guys involved, his wealth would had nothing to do with it.