NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

GingerSaint's list of approved players.

This is a list of players I would be happy with the Jets taking and the highest Round they should be taken in (bearing in mind the Jets pick at #9).

Outisde Linebackers
Dion Jordan (Oregon) - 1
Ezekiel Ansah (BYU) - 1
Tank Carradine (Florida State) - 2
Alex Okafor (Texas) - 2
Quanterus Smith (Western Kentucky) - 3
Outside Linebacker is our biggest need. I'm scared that neither Jordan nor Ansah will be there at 9 after their combine performances. In that situation, we trade back and pick up Okafor later (if we can find a trade partner) or go BPA within reason. 'Tank' Carradine and Quanterus Smith are both coming off injuries so we can get great value. A healthy Tank is a top 10 pick IMO. Jamie Collins (Southern Miss) blew up the combine and I'm sure Rex will have his eyes on him, although I haven't seen him play.
Running Backs
Andre Ellington (Clemson) - 3
Montee Ball (Wisconsin) - 4
Jonathan Franklin (UCLA) - 4
Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State) - 3
Mike Gillislee (Florida) - 4
I don''t think we should be targeting a RB until at least the 3rd, and even then it would only be for Andre Ellington. You can always pick up a stud RB in the later rounds and this class has a bit of depth and a couple of players will fall to the 4th.
Tight Ends
Travis Kelce (Cincinatti) - 2
Gavin Escobar (San Diego State) - 3
Vance McDonald (Rice) - 3
Dion Sims (Michigan State) - 4
Justice Cunningham (South Carolina) - 5
With so much depth at this position in Free Agency and the fact that Kelce didn't workout through injury, I hope he falls to the 3rd. I wouldn't be displeased if we took him with the number #39 overall pick though. Ideally, we would pick up Fred Davis in FA and not need a TE.
Safteys
Jonathan Cyprien (Florida International) - 2
Matt Elam (Florida) - 2
Baccari Rambo (Georgia) - 3
Eric Reid (LSU) - 2
Jonathan Cyprien is my 2nd favourite player in this entire draft. He is so dominant all over the field and plays with so much fire in his belly. From what I saw at the Senior Bowl practices and the Combine, he is a great locker room character too. If we're going to address Safety, it has to be in the 2nd or 3rd IMO because there is so much talent.
Others
DeAndre Hopkins (WR, Clemson)- 2
Stedman Bailey (West Virginia) - 3
Larry Warford (OG, Kentucky) - 2
Kiko Alonso (ILB, Oregon) - 3
Tyrann Mathieu (CB, LSU) - 4
I have been coming round to the idea of ignoring Safety and only drafting offense after the first round. Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards won't be on the roster in 2014 so drafting a WR now would give them time to develop before being escalated up the depth chart. DeAndre Hopkins is a fantastic player and there's a decent chance he makes it to #39. Bailey is severely underrated, is a player who doesn't rely on athleticism or speed to get separation and has great hands (think Greg Jennings or Steve Smith). Guard is a position that can be drafted too because Moore is getting older and is a FA, Warford represents excellent value in the 2nd. We need depth at ILB and Kiko Alonso is a dynamic player that can blow up plays. He is great at timing blitzes to get into the backfield to wreak havoc and has the athleticism to chase down the ball carrier. IN a very thin ILB class, he's the only player I'd take in the first 5 rounds (Michael Mauti out of Penn State could be a decent addition in the final few rounds). Tyrann Mathieu is a flyer in the 4th. If he didn't return punts/kicks, I wouldn't have him on my draft board.
Anything after the 4th round and you're looking at Special Teams contributors who could fill the depth chart. Perhaps we take a QB in one of these rounds like Sean Renfree or Colby Cameron.

And the fact he is a small c**t.

Still tied for the lowest bench press score in that position with next highest being 8, Then again your career isn't really built on how many weights you do but if he had a performance like Manti Te'o he'd be in big trouble getting drafted. At least he's saying he had changed his ways when it comes to drugs.

He's already saying he could cover Calvin Johnson so he's talking the talk, a lot of the top corners are cocky bassas as well.

49ers now have 12 picks in the draft (before compensatory ones): 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7

Percy Harvin? Darrelle Revis?

They could stand to upgrade in both of those areas actually.

That's an incredible hawl they have there.

ETA - and it's not just like a first round and second round pick they have now, it's #31 and #34 hot on it's heels.

Edited by Pride_of_the_Clyde

I'm sure Smith still goes top 10 with Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Arizona and Buffalo, NY Jets and Tennessee all needing an upgrade in one way or another. Now I'm not saying all of those would be interested in Smith, but all have question marks at QB in one way, shape or form.

I've tipped him to Oakland for a while on nothing more than a feeling so I'll stick with that.

The only other QB I see going in the 1st round for sure right now is Mike Glennon.

Matt Barkley still has a shot and a lot will depend on his pro day which I'm sure he'll light up.

Tyler Bray is the only other one I give a shot to as well. I think with him a lot will depend on how he done at interviews at the Combine.

That would probably be my order just now with maybe Ryan Nassib and E.J. Manuel as intriguing development options behind them.

49ers now have 12 picks in the draft (before compensatory ones): 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7

Percy Harvin? Darrelle Revis?

If they draft well, they could be a genuine contender for a good while. You've got to love that trade from a '49ers point of view.

I was on YouTube and a suggested video was Russell Wilson on Jon Gruden's QB camp. I don't know how I missed this one, I thought I saw all of them. Anyway, Gruden was very high on him and when he was drafted, he said "if I were Matt Flynn and Tavaris Jackson, I'd be worried about this kid. Because if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it". Absolutely spot on and shows how amazing Jon Gruden is.