NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Titans dump Mettenberger who is then quickly picked up by San Diego

I liked Mett, but 0-10 as a starter says it all.

We now have Cassell and the YouTube trick shot guy as backup. Could be another train-wreck if Mariota goes down.

I liked Mett, but 0-10 as a starter says it all.

We now have Cassell and the YouTube trick shot guy as backup. Could be another train-wreck if Mariota goes down.

Aw hes so terrible. Literally moves about as well as I do on a football field. Big arm but thats about it.

Wouldnt be surprised if undrafted Mike Bercovici beats him out as backup in SD by next season

First scientific poll since 2004 of Indians on the Redskins nickname conducted by the Washington Post, one of the newspapers that refuses to use the nickname. Roughly the same results as the 2004 poll.

9 in 10 are not offended by the Washington Redskins nickname.

7 in 10 do not feel the word "Redskin" is disrespectful to Indians.

8 in 10 would not be offended if a non-Indian called them a "Redskin."

First scientific poll since 2004 of Indians on the Redskins nickname conducted by the Washington Post, one of the newspapers that refuses to use the nickname. Roughly the same results as the 2004 poll.

9 in 10 are not offended by the Washington Redskins nickname.

7 in 10 do not feel the word "Redskin" is disrespectful to Indians.

8 in 10 would not be offended if a non-Indian called them a "Redskin."

So it doesn't offend anyone apart from the Washington Post then?

It offends lots of people. I'll take Yank Mike's stats with a pinch of salt given he's a far right Trumpeteer with a chip on his shoulder about non-white people.

I apologize. Forgot the link.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

Anybody who's spent time around Indians knows that it doesn't offend them. I lived with a couple Natives for a year when I was out West. When this issue blew up again I asked all of the Natives that I knew and am still in touch with. Couldn't find a single person who even knew anybody that was offended. This poll confirms what people who actually know Indians knew anecdotally. The problem is that most people don't know any Indians and not many of them have a prominent presence in the media or culture, so it's hard for most people to get an accurate read on the issue.

Also, according to the poll, Indians actually affiliated with a tribe are less likely to be offended than those who are not affiliated with any tribe.

So it doesn't offend anyone apart from the Washington Post then?

They are trying to build a new stadium and their first choice is back in DC. The DC government, 50 US Senators, and Obama say they shouldn't be allowed back into the city unless they change their name first. Also, the Obama administration attempted to revoke their copyright on the name as racist in an attempt to force them to change the name. Lower courts sided with Obama and that case is headed to the Supreme Court. The Federal government and the DC government would have to approve a new stadium at the site of old RFK stadium where they want to build.

Several media outlets and a bunch of prominent commentators refuse to use their name, and it's basically unheard of to hear a national commentator defend the name.

In a national poll a few years back 23% of Americans in general were offended by the name.

Edited by Yank Mike

Since when did the WP refuse to use the name? The Post use it ALL the time.

I was incorrect. The Washington Post editorial page banned the name awhile back. The news division still uses the name.

Also, Redskins haven't announced a preference. It be idiotic to do so when at the moment you have two states wanting the team (Maryland and Virgina) and the history with DC.

Yes, Virginia and Maryland would both love the Redskins given the right deal. I listen to Tony Kornheiser's DC radio show every day, and based on the people he interviews the consensus seems to be that the Redskins first preference would be a move back to DC at the old RFK site.

Edited by Yank Mike