Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did you mean by a "bun-fight over resources"?

What I wrote. Government departments in an independent Scotland will have a bun-fight over resources. Education will obviously be a part of that. So, mentioning the current devolved status to Mr/Ms Lithuanian isn't particularly relevant

What did you mean by a "bun-fight over resources"?

I didn't have a fucking clue what he was on about either when he said this.

Education is devolved to the Scottish Parliament. WE pay for it already, and will obviously continue to pay for it after independence. Not difficult to understand.

What I wrote. Government departments in an independent Scotland will have a bun-fight over resources. Education will obviously be a part of that. So, mentioning the current devolved status to Mr/Ms Lithuanian isn't particularly relevant

If I get your point properly, you're saying it would become directly part of the spending decisions of the same institution that deals with things like welfare and defence, therefore there would be "direct" competition with these things that there wasn't before?

The problem with that is a) it's already in competition with other concerns like healthcare, transport, local government, criminal justice and more at Holyrood and b) from a pot that is relatively smaller. Even if the same body is making defence and education decisions, they'll be taking charge of the *revenues* that are spent on defence too. Unless there is a significant overspend on defence and welfare in Scotland, and you have evidence that Scotland is more predisposed towards spending more on these than the UK (in defence this is particularly contestable) the sense in which there is meaningful bun-fighting beyond that which already exists is hugely questionable.

If I get your point properly, you're saying it would become directly part of the spending decisions of the same institution that deals with things like welfare and defence, therefore there would be "direct" competition with these things that there wasn't before?

The problem with that is a) it's already in competition with other concerns like healthcare, transport, local government, criminal justice and more at Holyrood and b) from a pot that is relatively smaller. Even if the same body is making defence and education decisions, they'll be taking charge of the *revenues* that are spent on defence too. Unless there is a significant overspend on defence and welfare in Scotland, and you have evidence that Scotland is more predisposed towards spending more on these than the UK (in defence this is particularly contestable) the sense in which there is meaningful bun-fighting beyond that which already exists is hugely questionable.

In a nutshell, do you think that "it's already devolved" is a sufficient answer to reassure those foreign students who may have doubts about their continuing education in Scotland.

In a nutshell, do you think that "it's already devolved" is a sufficient answer to reassure those foreign students who may have doubts about their continuing education in Scotland.

Yes.

Yes.

Now that the nutshell restriction (designed to stifle actual discussion) is out of the way, unless you think that 1) education is already somehow ringfenced and inviolable and/or 2) The priorities of the Scottish electorate, with its newfound oil wealth, are going to seismically shift the day after independence, then *of fucking course* it's sufficient.

I'm going to be away from an Internet connection for a few hours and I'm quite glad of it because I can see this conversation disappearing down a black hole of contradiction, resurfacing only to the dulcet strains of "uncertainty".

Now that the nutshell restriction (designed to stifle actual discussion) is out of the way, unless you think that 1) education is already somehow ringfenced and inviolable and/or 2) The priorities of the Scottish electorate, with its newfound oil wealth, are going to seismically shift the day after independence, then *of fucking course* it's sufficient.

I'm going to be away from an Internet connection for a few hours and I'm quite glad of it because I can see this conversation disappearing down a black hole of contradiction, resurfacing only to the dulcet strains of "uncertainty".

Sorry to disappoint. It isn't me that's uncertain about whether Scotland can keep the Education budget going at similar to current levels.

Sorry to disappoint. It isn't me that's uncertain about whether Scotland can keep the Education budget going at similar to current levels.

Then pass the message on to the Lithuanians whose plight you feel so keenly.

You do realise we'll have more money to spent in an independent Scotland right? The money that we're currently spending to house Trident would be freed up, for example.

The budget when it comes to education would not decrease, if anything there could be even more money available to spend in this area.

Can Scotland, with more money, more control, and already-subsidized higher education, bear the expense of... doing what what it's already doing?

Tough one. With all the new embassies and airport fortifications the universities might lose out in the 'horse trading.'

Vote Yes to leave stupidity like the above in the bin where it belongs.

Given there is no sense in which their position is protected or ring-fenced under the status quo that it wouldn't or couldn't be in an independent Scotland, yes.

You could try telling them that education is a devolved power for the Scottish Government but I've a feeling that it will go in one ear and come out the other.

You do realise we'll have more money to spent in an independent Scotland right? The money that we're currently spending to house Trident would be freed up, for example.

The budget when it comes to education would not decrease, if anything there could be even more money available to spend in this area.

Try the second quote first. It may stick better

Wait...what? You are aware that we have a Scottish parliament right? And that there is already a "bun fight" (using your definition) going on? So if we continue to have the same "bun fight", but there are more buns, what exactly is the problem here?

Archived