Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i did and what i found was pretty one sided and all double dutch to me, i want it from a neutral from both sides so i can decide whats best to do

Its hard to find truly neutral information, but if you have specific questions, someone on here may (or may not!) Be able to point you to some information. What exactly is it you feel you need information on?

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, the above should apply to everyone who isn't a regular on this thread. Rather than asking for vague summaries, they should ask specific questions, and they might get better responses than they currently do a lot of the time.

it was anti independance

NewsnetScotland and Wings Over Scotland are the two most prominent pro-independence sites. The vast majority of newspapers are anti-independence, although you'll occasionally get a balanced article in the Scotsman or Herald.

My best idea for you is to watch some debates that have taken place over the last few weeks, where both parties have been given a platform to put their points across. The University of Abertay debate between Stewart Hosie and Lord George Robertson is a good watch, although not if you're anti-independence. For neutrals however I think it's a good place to start. There have also been some decent (surprisingly) BBC discussions over the last few weeks.

Tell us what exactly you want information on and we'll answer.

How are things like public services, the economy and tax rates going to look in comparison to the way we are now?

Will we be better or worse off financially. I haven't really taken any interest in independence but now it's getting closer these are the things that are obviously most important.

Unfortunately the days of truly neutral journalism are long gone. We all need to do a bit of digging to get to the truth in politics. I remember ten years ago I was sitting in an economics class and, as a nationalist, I was a bit worried when we got to dividing up the country by net contribution of tax vs expenditure. After years of hearing that Scotland was a basket case subsidy junkie, I wanted to hide under the desk. Much to my surprise Scotland were more than paying their share and had been for as long as I'd been alive (and are still today).

Don't believe what the traditional media tells you about Scotland. They have a vested interest in towing the unionist line.

How are things like public services, the economy and tax rates going to look in comparison to the way we are now?

Will we be better or worse off financially. I haven't really taken any interest in independence but now it's getting closer these are the things that are obviously most important.

Yes will argue that the economy will be ranked eighth in the world. Compare that to 17th as part of the UK. Public services will be far better as we will be able to afford them as oppose to Westminster who are disappearing under an ever growing mountain of debt. BT argue that we can be an independent nation and stand on our own two feet.

Someone else will need to fill you in on the Tax rates.

Things for the immediate future would look pretty much the same as today. Without taking oil into account we contribute about 99% of what we receive in the block grant Barnett Formula. With oil it's something like 118%. So we would be already on our way towards getting to a position where we can start cutting the debt. Oh, and the Barnett Formula is worked out after 'national projects' are funded, so that cuts into the amount we should be considering since we won't be paying for things like Crossrail in London if we're independent. But more on national projects later.

We'll be cutting expenditure in the military as we don't want Trident and we already have much less spend in Scotland on Defence than is spent on a per head basis. So there would be more military jobs (could be something like 10,000) for less expenditure.

We would also not be spending on vanity projects which make the trams look like pisswater in comparison. For example recent reports stated that Scotland would be spending something like £9Bn on HS-2 when it would do very little to improve the lot of people in Scotland.

When we get down to brass tacks, the entire economy of the UK is aimed at benefiting those in the SE of England, especially London. All of the recent major 'national' projects are based on super-heating the economy of London to ludicrous levels which is the kind of thinking that got us into this mess in the first place.

Its hard to find truly neutral information, but if you have specific questions, someone on here may (or may not!) Be able to point you to some information. What exactly is it you feel you need information on?

JUST really if we will be able to survive as a country on our own and will benefits (DLA) still be paid to claimants in a independent country

JUST really if we will be able to survive as a country on our own and will benefits (DLA) still be paid to claimants in a independent country

Far more likely in an independent Scotland than with the Tories or the neo-liberal nu-labour party. Maybe you didn't catch Lamont saying that nothing should be safe from cuts about six months ago.

As for the ability to pay, I'll refer you to my previous answer.

Independence won't answer those sort of questions - party politics after the referendum will. If you start with the agreed (by both sides) position that Scotland is a well developed Western economy which can make it's own way, then you can think about the real question - where do you want the decision making process to be based: Scotland or the UK?

A few questions I have that someone more knowledgeable may have answers to or at least a vague idea. I appreciate that alot of these will be 'company specific'

1. Phonecalls between Scotland/England - will they likely be international rates? Same with data roaming charges? Posting stuff?

2. Stuff like Sky/Virgin and TV channels and packages, will they likely change?

3. What would happen at the border? Would there be checks etc? Will we be able to just jump on a train to the other country or will we have to go through customs and passport checks etc?

4. What year would independence likely take place if the yes vote went through?

5. Are prices for booze/fags/drugs etc likely to go up or down?

6. Are there any major laws that we currently confine to that are likely to be changed if the yes vote goes through?

7. What is the major impacts on England/Wales/N.Ireland should we get independence?

8. Is there likely to be lots of job losses with English businesses based in Scotland and vice versa?

9. Will free tuition fees/prescriptions etc all remain that way (assuming SNP remain in power) have they said they will keep this? How long?

Thanks in advance

10. Will it affect the fitba in any way at all? Ether as punters or the clubs themselves like Berwick/Gretna etc?

A few questions I have that someone more knowledgeable may have answers to or at least a vague idea. I appreciate that alot of these will be 'company specific'

1. Phonecalls between Scotland/England - will they likely be international rates? Same with data roaming charges? Posting stuff?

Data roaming is being phased out across the EU. I'd imagine any international rates would be similar to phoning ireland. Hadn't thought of that before. But if I can call my family in Canada for free, I don't think there's going to be a huge mark up to call England. Who knows about posting anything these days?

Not sure.

3. What would happen at the border? Would there be checks etc? Will we be able to just jump on a train to the other country or will we have to go through customs and passport checks etc?

It's highly unlikely there will be any checks. Once again, I'll refer you to the Irish example.

This probably depends of the negotiations, but I seem to remember it being slated for 2018.

Probably up, but not because we're less able to afford it as an economy, but because we need to get healthier in this country.

6. Are there any major laws that we currently confine to that are likely to be changed if the yes vote goes through?

Well, the Act of Union springs immediately to mind. Can't think of any others just now because we have separate legal systems already.

7. What is the major impacts on England/Wales/N.Ireland should we get independence?

The right wing will probably continue to get stronger, unfortunately. And the centralisation of their economy will continue regardless of whatever we do. Though I'm sure we'll get blamed. They're also going to lose the 118% I talked about earlier. They might also lose their permanent seat on the UN security council (for all the good it does)

8. Is there likely to be lots of job losses with English businesses based in Scotland and vice versa?

I don't know about lots, but there will be some teething trouble to begin with. But anyone telling you that English companies will pull out en-masse are either foolish or having you on. Leaving a market for no particular reason is insane, and competitors would just fill the gap in the market left.

9. Will free tuition fees/prescriptions etc all remain that way (assuming SNP remain in power) have they said they will keep this? How long?

Yes, free tuition is meant to be in the constitution, but I guess prescriptions might change. I don't see why they would, though.

Thanks in advance

10. Will it affect the fitba in any way at all? Ether as punters or the clubs themselves like Berwick/Gretna etc?

No idea, but I don't think anyone at FIFA is going to be staying up at night sweating over this.

EDIT: For the last one asked, the nation they're residing in. Just like if you come from another EU country already.

Of course we will. Look, right now, we are performing better than the UK as a whole, and that is with the UK putting the handbrake on us. Even the most hardcore Unionists have admitted that of course Scotland could survive as a country. There is absolutely no reason why not.

Regarding benefits. Well on day 1, everything will be more or less exactly the same. Benefits and pensions etc. will continue to be paid. What happens in the future will depend on the governments we then vote in. However, this is no more uncertainty than we currently have, because what happens in the future within the UK will depend on the governments that England votes in. And England is a bit more rightwing and hardcore than us...

Thanks in advance

1. I imagine they will not be international rate, certainly not at first! There will be no roaming charges though, as the EU are phasing them out altogether over the next few years. Posting stuff would work much the same way as it currently does. Although given the British have privatised it, god knows how it will work down there.

2. Not really. I can't answer for sure, but I can't see an issue with it. If there are changes, then I imagine they will be fairly subtle and brought in gradually.

3. No. No borders. If you've ever been to Ireland via Norn. Ireland, you'll have not noticed a border. Likewise Europe. For reference, here is the border between Belgium and the Netherlands:

Baarle-Nassau_fronti%C3%A8re_caf%C3%A9.j

There is absolutely no reason why there would be borders. This is just scaremongering, and is only brought out when the Unionists are feeling desperate.

4. 2016.

5. 100% depends who we vote for in subsequent elections, similar to now.

6. Likewise.

7. They'll have less money, less food, less oil, less gas, and less electric. This is assuming they go through with their trade boycott implicit threats, which they wont.

8. I imagine there will be a few, but I also imagine there will be some created. Swings and roundabouts really. This is another thing which will really depend on who we vote for in subsequent elections, so its impossible to know tbh.

9. Yes. But again, this is all dependent on who we vote for in subsequent elections.

10. No.

Archived