Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Will it?

From my limited understanding of the block grant will budgets being preserved in health and education and increased money for infrastructure not effect the impact on the block grant

It specifically says in the article that it does. Doesn't mean the article is right of course.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will it?

From my limited understanding of the block grant will budgets being preserved in health and education and increased money for infrastructure not effect the impact on the block grant

No expert, but I think Osbourne was just outlining how he intends to spend south of the border. We could cut the heath budget/education budget (if we wanted as its devolved)

It specifically says in the article that it does. Doesn't mean the article is right of course.

Not in the article you posted, it mentions a 1% cut for the Scottish Office but can't see any mention of the Block Grant

My understanding was that the Barnett Formula is in some way related to different Whitehall departments who have no juristiction over Scotland so for example a 10% cut if defence spending wouldn't effect the Grant but a 10% cut in the English Education budget would, but maybe I'm wrong.

Not in the article you posted, it mentions a 1% cut for the Scottish Office but can't see any mention of the Block Grant

My understanding was that the Barnett Formula is in some way related to different Whitehall departments who have no juristiction over Scotland so for example a 10% cut if defence spending wouldn't effect the Grant but a 10% cut in the English Education budget would, but maybe I'm wrong.

I could be wrong, but my understanding of the Barnett Formula is that spending on English-only services is aggregated, a Scottish equivalent reached and that is then allocated for *all* Scottish-only spending, of which the Scotland Office is a part. Certainly before devolution the Barnet consequentials were administered and spent by the Scottish Office itself.

The corrollary of that is that the money used to run the Scotland Office is still part of the Barnett Consequential, but a significant chunk of it is now allocated directly for use by Holyrood. A cut in Scotland Office budgets would, presumably, have an effect on the block grant.

There's a wee tantrum going on in twitter tonight. There's a wee 12m clip about debunking unionist myths, was quite a decent wee clip and used clips of the No campaign and the arguments they are using. I think it's National collective that put it up.

Anyhoo the No campaign have complained about copyright and it has been removed. Obviously they have never heard of the Streisand effect, as I expect it to resurface and go viral across the Scottish political scene....

...and totally dominating my Twatter feed. Talk about shooting yersel in the foot. A video that would probably have been seen by a few hundred now being discussed by politicians and political commentators alike.

Came accross it on Twitter earlier, this is the kind of thing that should be getting made, personally I think it is a bit too "don't be so stupid and believe their scaremongering" for this stage in the campaign considering most people still do think these things as the Yes campaign haven't got their message out yet but very good nonetheless.

The Better Together Twitter feed seems to be suggesting they didn't ask for it to be removed but only for a less than 5 second clip of the public (doesn't say which bit) to be removed, implying they have no problem with the majority of it.

They say that they don't want members of the publics images being "misused".

Frankly, if members of the public do not want their images used in political debate then they should not have agreed to appear in a political propaganda video for Better Together.

It's already back - http://t.co/eFhbfOZ6vJ

I'll have to have a look, can't on Ubuntu as flash is problematic. I thought the legal ruling was that if the subject was the 'story' then the legal situation changed. e.g. A news report can show pictures of a company's logo if the company is the object of the report, 'fair use' I think its called. At any rate, I agree, such crass attempt at censorship will surely generate more interest than it would have if left alone.

Thanks to those who defended my post in my absence. Yes the poll data given are accurate. I suppose the opinion I voiced, that the Credit Crunch had a real effect on indy support, especially given the u-treatment, is debateable, but I do not think that is such an unusual opinion as to merit the abuse levied.

Anyway it is really late, so time to get into my lizard jammies and head off to bed.

I don't particularly like the video; some of the debunking arguments are far too simplistic and there are better arguments against the unionist stance (eg the HBOS and RBS bailout cost v Scottish GDP, it would be better to point out we'd only have had to bailout their banking operations in Scotland and not the whole UK) but regardless, massive own goal from Better Together in trying to get it pulled.

Archived