The Gretna dream team Wadsworth & Irons show up at Celtic Nation

NE63 exile

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't get is that like Gretna, Celtic Nation are based in a pretty remote backwater of the Country...........if I was going to spunk millions away on trying to build a football destiny from a relative minnow I'd probably look at a Club like Stirling which at least has a decent catchment area of potential fans.

Lynch claimed at one point it was a team for Scottish and Irish ex-Pats to support. If that was the case why not go for a team further south rather than one just across the Scottish border?

What I don't get is that like Gretna, Celtic Nation are based in a pretty remote backwater of the Country...........if I was going to spunk millions away on trying to build a football destiny from a relative minnow I'd probably look at a Club like Stirling which at least has a decent catchment area of potential fans.

Their based in Carlisle which has a population of 75,310 folk compared to Stirling's 45,750.

Only total heid the baws think that's the case though, so I'm not really sure why it's relevant.

You might know that but Lynch and his gang have previous for trying to relocate clubs and will continue to test the water. They are spending comparatively little to what they might get if they sell to someone else mug enough to believe cross border competition might become possible.

Their based in Carlisle which has a population of 75,310 folk compared to Stirling's 45,750.

Taking over the only senior team somewhere is different from trying to set up a second team in a town that already has a long established local senior side.

Taking over the only senior team somewhere is different from trying to set up a second team in a town that already has a long established local senior side.

I was making the point that they play in a well populated town the way sjc was talking you would think they were playing in a one street village.

Given the size of Carlisle there is probably room for a decent non league side in the town if they were playing at home when United were away they would maybe pick up fans who don't travel to away games.

I was making the point that they play in a well populated town the way sjc was talking you would think they were playing in a one street village.

Given the size of Carlisle there is probably room for a decent non league side in the town if they were playing at home when United were away they would maybe pick up fans who don't travel to away games.

I'm well aware of the size of Carlise but like said previously Carlisle are a well established Club........almost mirroring Gretna with Queen of the South.....Stirling like many towns has the problem of the majority of its football fans going to see Celtic & Rangers. When I see Stirling I see St Johnstone circa 1985 in the bottom rung of the league.....look at them now?

I think the reason that they picked a tiny, obscure club is pretty clear: fans of clubs with more than a dozen fans wouldn't be happy with their side being turned into some fucking plastic paddy franchise. Look at Hull (a Premier League club from a rugby town who until not very long ago were in danger of being relegated from the Football League entirely) and their successful fight against their owner rebranding them in an attempt to appeal to the Asian market, because of this apparent belief that Asian people are too fucking stupid to spend money on English football merchandise unless it's got a dragon or a tiger on it.

That particular experiment is going gloriously poorly and I hope it continues to do so until Tan eventually gets bored and fucks off, leaving them with a Boltonesque debt and an exciting future in League One.

I'm well aware of the size of Carlise but like said previously Carlisle are a well established Club........almost mirroring Gretna with Queen of the South.....Stirling like many towns has the problem of the majority of its football fans going to see Celtic & Rangers. When I see Stirling I see St Johnstone circa 1985 in the bottom rung of the league.....look at them now?

Really? Saint Johnstone were down on their luck for a while but had been a big club and came back. Stirling, with respect have never been there and don't have potential beyond Championship level.

Really? Saint Johnstone were down on their luck for a while but had been a big club and came back. Stirling, with respect have never been there and don't have potential beyond Championship level.

You're right in respect of Stirling historically never having reached the same highs as St Johnstone but I was basing it purely on attendances from those days and the town size really........hard to explain as you could argue that since Brown & Totten took Saints up through the divisions & to McDiarmid Park the Club has regressed in terms of attendances despite this currently being the Clubs most successful era.

Always been a bit strange how people in Stirling don't get behind their local team to the same extent that people in Alloa, Falkirk and Dunfermline do.

I would be amazed if that was the case

Stirling and its immediate surroundings could reasonably be expected to support a full-time club to the magnitude of Hamilton Accies or Livingston, if the local population identified reasonably strongly with the club. Doesn't happen sustainably though because areas like the Raploch and St Ninians are into the Old Firm more than is normal on the east coast and there's a lot of egg chaser types around as well.

• 1 month later...

A report on BBC Radio Cumbria states Willie McStay has resigned as manager and owner Frank Lynch has sold the club to former Chairman Steven Skinner. Watch this space...

A report on BBC Radio Cumbria states Willie McStay has resigned as manager and owner Frank Lynch has sold the club to former Chairman Steven Skinner. Watch this space...

Gibson is away and Captain Peter Murphy has signed for Ayr. Davie Irons has manfully stepped in to take the first team.

Archived