Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

It's something I've never understood,surely with the cuts on public spending there has to be a reduction on the number of marches? One march alone a few years ago near where I grew up cost something like £250,000 to secure due to trouble. It appears that marches on both sides occur due to arguments that they want to 'celebrate' their faith, however it seems to me and I speak wholly on a personal level that they do nothing but cause despair to a vast majority of people who do not want their lives disrupted. I know of one march which I read about in local press in Helensburgh, around 5,000 people coming to march in a lovely wee town with a very active united churches movement. The one thing Helensburgh doesn't have is an orange lodge of any description, friends of mine who are business owners in the town are so scared of disorder and violence (and I don't blame them) that they are closing the business for the day, which costs the local economy, a town which relies on it's hospitality industry for lots of jobs is practically with the exception of marchers going to be a ghost town due to the intimidation people feel. It would be wrong to suggest that every participant in a march is a bad person etc, however I feel that the constant decrying of 'hangers on' whilst doing nothing to discourage offensive behaviour had tarnished the reputation of both sides. It is very sad in my opinion that a country with as much potential as ours still divides itself do bitterly over the events in another country which are consigned to history, it is thoroughly important to understand our history as it shapes our culture but I firmly believe whilst we should look back on the events that these sides march in remembrance of the practice of these types of marches should be consigned to the history they commemorate.

the only orange walk in Scotland which results in any form of trouble is the ones that are held on the weekend before the 12th July because that is when the most "hangers on" are out and follow it and use it as an excuse to get pished . the rest go by un noticed and few hangers on and very little trouble if any. as for the business's closing , that is an extreme over reaction . would the same be done If there was a gay pride march taking place. after all there is a risk of trouble braking out if the anti-gay rights group where to pop along and give their opinion. the whole reputation around the orange order is over hyped media shite.

Lolwut.

Comparing OO marches to Gay pride. :lol:

Bizarrely anti-Catholic propaganda was an issue at Pride Glasgow

"However the parade did see stewards remove anti-Catholic placards from the Secular Scotland group as they were deemed offensive to people of faith."

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/record-numbers-attend-gay-pride-glasgow150712

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Bizarrely anti-Catholic propaganda was an issue at Pride Glasgow

"However the parade did see stewards remove anti-Catholic placards from the Secular Scotland group as they were deemed offensive to people of faith."

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/record-numbers-attend-gay-pride-glasgow150712

Poofs against Papes perhaps ;)

Just goes to show - there are utter zoomers everywhere.

the only orange walk in Scotland which results in any form of trouble is the ones that are held on the weekend before the 12th July because that is when the most "hangers on" are out and follow it and use it as an excuse to get pished . the rest go by un noticed and few hangers on and very little trouble if any. as for the business's closing , that is an extreme over reaction . would the same be done If there was a gay pride march taking place. after all there is a risk of trouble braking out if the anti-gay rights group where to pop along and give their opinion. the whole reputation around the orange order is over hyped media shite.

Bullshit.

The OO are full of self centred, selfish scum who only turn up for the mob mentality of the whole thing.

They should get one march a year in the streets and for the rest they can walk laps round the inside of a park.

Bullshit.

The OO are full of self centred, selfish scum who only turn up for the mob mentality of the whole thing.

They should get one march a year in the streets and for the rest they can walk laps round the inside of a park.

Preferably of the safari variety.

So the kneejerk visceral reaction to the sight of a few neds with a union flag is to ship them off to Blair Drummond safari park. How very tolerant. :wacko: Hopefully Scottish middle class society won't get a nation state to lord it over. Once Westminster and the English are no longer available as the scapegoat to blame anything and everything on, a lot of people would go completely haywire when the new shortbread tin republic turns out to be more of the same old Scheidt dressed up in a tartan skirt.

Bullshit.

again the hangers on are getting mixed up with the actual orange order, perhaps jock as a rangers man to rangers man you would know that a lot of these hangers on that use the walk to get drunk are also the same drunken neds that are at rangers games . should all rangers games be played behind closed doors in that case ?

If they didn't want hangers on, they shouldn't march on a public road.

One March a year in an open space is more than enough for them to celebrate.

Edited by Enrico Annoni

So the kneejerk visceral reaction to the sight of a few neds with a union flag is to ship them off to Blair Drummond safari park. How very tolerant. :wacko: Hopefully Scottish middle class society won't get a nation state to lord it over. Once Westminster and the English are no longer available as the scapegoat to blame anything and everything on, a lot of people would go completely haywire when the new shortbread tin republic turns out to be more of the same old Scheidt dressed up in a tartan skirt.

I don't see how providing a space for anything over and above the one march a year is intolerant. They can have the one march, and tbh thats one more than other organisations such as SDL etc who are restricted to static protests.

I don't see how providing a space for anything over and above the one march a year is intolerant. They can have the one march, and tbh thats one more than other organisations such as SDL etc who are restricted to static protests.

that is because the sdl promote violence and hatred , the orange order no matter what you believe or have read do not actually promote these things.