Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

I think if Motherwell had originally had a Gaelic place name then I would be delighted for said name to be used first and for 'Motherwell' to appear below it. The truth is that Motherwell was never part of the Gàidhealtachd and to manufacture a Gaelic name for it is perverse and I wonder why it was done.

This is a bit of a red herring

Edinburgh has never been part of France but it has a different name in French (and most languages I'm aware of) München was never Anglophone but we still call it Munich and the same goes for Vienna, Rome, Seville, Prague etc...

If Gaelic language enthusiasts want to call things different names then that's up to them

Personally I reckon that if were going to put up multilingual signage then it makes more sense to use languages that might actually help visitors than what is essentially a vanity project

This is a bit of a red herring

Edinburgh has never been part of France but it has a different name in French (and most languages I'm aware of) München was never Anglophone but we still call it Munich and the same goes for Vienna, Rome, Seville, Prague etc...

If Gaelic language enthusiasts want to call things different names then that's up to them

Personally I reckon that if were going to put up multilingual signage then it makes more sense to use languages that might actually help visitors than what is essentially a vanity project

But when you get off the train does it say "Welcome to Munich"?

Having said that whenever you traverse the highways and byways and go from one council area to another you occasionally see signs reading "Bienvenue, Willkommen etc"

But when you get off the train does it say "Welcome to Munich"?

Having said that whenever you traverse the highways and byways and go from one council area to another you occasionally see signs reading "Bienvenue, Willkommen etc"

Given that the original example was Motherwell the whole idea of how best to welcome tourists is a little bit moot.

More Importantly The Hurricanes vs Highlanders games is in the balance. The Dutch continued at about 6 an over and finished up on 223

I was sorting through some stuff in my 'I don't know what to do with this, so I'll chuck it in here' drawer this morning. Found my programme from the Tri-series between Ireland and New Zealand at Mannofield.

I remember New Zealand electing to bowl first in good batting conditions, meaning the match didn't exactly last very long. Daniel Vettori did a Q&A afterwards and pretty much every question was about why New Zealand didn't bat first and why they wanted to get the match over with so quickly. Vettori looked genuinely uncomfortable, but then again he generally does.

Benfica were traditionally very left wing leaning (hence the red), while Sporting were the pro-Salazar clerical fascist regime club. Throw in the shared green and white hoops factor and it's maybe no surprise that the Estoril Young Defenders Accordian Band would be putting in an appearance like this.