Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

The saving grace of England's reformation (quite a different beast to Scotland's) is that Samuel Rutherford's tract, Lex, Rex ultimately held sway.

That our HoS is also head of England's church is unfortunate and impossible to justify.

The Enlightenment in France may have produced good food, a few wee books and some nice diatribe but utterly fucked the country up - including pogroms against The Huguenots.

While The Enlightened French were running around killing folk we Scots were producing ground-breaking science, technology and philosophy.

Edited to add: Of course, John Calvin was French.

You seem to have your chronology of French history somewhat muddled up there.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

The Magna Carta, a bit like the literature of Shakespeare and Dickens, is over-rated in terms of its impact in the big scheme of things. Something each generation learns about from the one before and then passes on uncritically to the next out of force of habit as part of the shared set of myths of the nation.

It actually very much makes sense to separate Enlightenment ideas from those of the Reformation given it very much revolved around separating church from state. That is something that has yet to be achieved in the UK and was at the root of the failure to comfortably accommodate the island of Ireland.

Magna Carta = sign this or we'll fucking have you, your majesty.

His majesty thinks, nice chaps, those barons. A few concessions and I get to keep my head.

Then the barons go off and spread the word of 'liberty' and 'rights' while the hired hands in frocks keep the plebs scared shitless that any ideas above their station - including their 'rights' - leads down the path to where the geezer with the horns and tail does his business.

Rinse and repeat, replacing men in frocks with David Starkey.

There's an irony in the parades happening in Scotland on a day when the people of the Republic of Ireland delivered a far louder "f**k you" to the Catholic Church than the Apprentice Boys could dream of.

These demonstrations of fealty must sit well with Her Maj. I'm sure she's thrilled by that explosive mixture of high camp, religion, martial music and an undercurrent of booze fuelled violence. Surely she tunes in to BBC NI's coverage of The Twalfth.

In other news, ISIL leaders received a cable from the Almighty a few days ago, thanking them for demolishing those big piles of stones he's been terrified of for centuries.

The marriage equality vote in Ireland was certainly a slap in the face for the church. Then again, marriage is older than churches and civil marriages are a harder skelp and they've been around a lot longer.

Could you give a greater explanation of such banners? or better still provide some examples in photos?

Pick anyone you want , they all celibrate a sectarian war over 300 years ago that resulted in Non Protestants being treated no better than animals with no rights or lands for generations.

I'm well aware the bigot appologists will try to present it as something else but I like most on here cant wait till ALL these bigotfests are banned.

Are there per chance fukwit bigots trying to justify fukwit bigots marching about streets waving banners about killing people of a certain religion on this thread?

Could you give a greater explanation of such banners? or better still provide some examples in photos?

Pick anyone you want , they all celibrate a sectarian war over 300 years ago that resulted in Non Protestants being treated no better than animals with no rights or lands for generations. I'm well aware the bigot appologists will try to present it as something else but I like most on here cant wait till ALL these bigotfests are banned.

That's a "No", then.

That'll be a "Yes" then...like I said pick any banner or song. The Apprentice Boys are a sectarian organisation, A Protestant Fraternity .founded by protestants for protestants

Photos, please.

According to the Carrot Museum (and they'd know) the orange carrot is a relative novelty and Yellow, White and Red and Purple varieties are far older.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/history.html

Excitingly this means that you could cross a purple and a red variety to produce a maroon one