Orange Walk / Scottish Cricket thread

~~~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_St_Columba

Do these guys not count as a sectarian catholic fraternal organisation? Membership is only open to catholic men therefore making it sectarian?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Order_of_Hibernians

And these fellows, again membership is only open to catholics of Irish descent?

I would disagree with classing the Knights of Saint Columba with the Ancient Order of Hibernians as one of the same. I've always felt the Hibs in Scotland and Ireland are different from the American branches, and it's a case of if you want to get involved with the Church you'd join the Knights, if you were a bigot, the Hibernians were your choice.

Men can join the Church of Scotland Guild, it also states clearly that people of any denomination can join and is therefore neither misogynistic or sectarian, unlike the two catholic organisations cited above which are restricted to men only and only members of the roman catholic religion.

"The Guild is open to anyone, women or men, who accept our aim: The Church of Scotland Guild is a movement within the Church of Scotland", from the Guilds official website. Whilst in my opinion there is nothing sectarian about that, if we are going down the route of groups looking for members within their respective Churches being classed as sectarian, then there is not a whole lot of difference between that and the Knights of Saint Columba.

True, having to be a certain religion to join a fraternity isnt sectarian in itself . The difference with Protestant fraternities like the OO and other loyalists types is that they have to adhere to the principles of Orangeism , like anti Catholicism and Protestant Sumpremisy . That is why they are sectarian organisations and the aforementioned Catholic ones are not.

The AOH is a sectarian organisation.

THE KING's definition of "sectarianism" = "protestant fraternal society".

Those Protestants, up to no good as usual. :rolleyes:

It's funny, I've lived on planet NI for over 20 years now and can't remember meeting anyone who openly admits to being in the Hibernians. :lol:

The Hibernians have thankfully all but died out in Scotland, I think Port Glasgow is the only place with an active AOH group, even their old strongholds of Coatbridge, Hamilton and Carfin have gave them up, and I think it's going the same way across in Ireland.

3 days he's been going round and round in circles, despite half a dozen posters pulling him up on it, not all of whom, by any stretch of the imagination, could be termed "bigot apologists" to use vT's new pet phrase, and yet he still ploughs on regardless.

He's suffering badly from "A'body's oot o' step apairt fae oor Jock" syndrome.

He's missing fish in a barrel.

True, having to be a certain religion to join a fraternity isnt sectarian in itself . The difference with Protestant fraternities like the OO and other loyalists types is that they have to adhere to the principles of Orangeism , like anti Catholicism and Protestant Sumpremisy . That is why they are sectarian organisations and the aforementioned Catholic ones are not.

Orange Order members adhere to Orangeism shocker.

Next week we bring you pro-female feminists and atheists who refuse to believe in God.

Aye mate you're right poverty, inequality, domestic abuse, violence, horrendous standards of health aren't a patch on "Scotland's shame". Sectarianism is the most hyped up, media moral panic in existence. It is practically a non issue in Scottish society in terms of the impact it has on people's lives (Queue some link to a sectarian murder and outrage at my assertion) but its a convenient tool for politicans to claim the moral high ground and deflect from ore important issues that they have failed to deal with. It also sells papers.

You wouldn't be saying that if you had to walk through Bridgeton everyday.

Explain how it is then? You must be immersed in it right enough staying in Arbroath a well known hot bed of sectarian tension....

One half of my family are from Glasgow...

And it's really pretty fucking obvious why it's such a problem

There'll be 50,000 people gathered in a football ground singing about Ireland's troubles tonight and another set of fannies out singing in support of the IRA come Celtics first game next season

Then if Rangers do go up I'm sure you'll see bother around every single pub and town in the country come the 1st match day, idiots stuck in the past fighting with each other because ones a proddie b*****d and the other ones a f***** b*****d

Fucking embarassing

I think I do.

We aren't talking about what the word sectarian (in isolation)means we are talking about sectarian bigotry ,that's 2 different things,

A religious group that has a certain membership qualification and promotes it's religion isn't a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

However a religious group that has a certain membership qualification that preaches religious supremacy and actively condemns and is opposed to another religion is a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

A religious group that has a certain membership qualification and promotes it's religion isn't a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

A group which excludes members from joining on the basis of their religion is quite clearly sectarian you fucking headcase.

A group which excludes members from joining on the basis of their religion is quite clearly sectarian you fucking headcase.

But are they sectarian (bigoted)?

That is the new question.

I would disagree with classing the Knights of Saint Columba with the Ancient Order of Hibernians as one of the same. I've always felt the Hibs in Scotland and Ireland are different from the American branches, and it's a case of if you want to get involved with the Church you'd join the Knights, if you were a bigot, the Hibernians were your choice.

I don't think anybody was claiming they were the same, but they were just being quoted as examples of sectarian Roman Catholic fraternal societies.

Those Protestants, up to no good as usual. :rolleyes:

Our sole purpose in life, dontcha know.

Edited by Jacksgranda

I don't think anybody was claiming they were the same, but they were just being quoted as examples of sectarian Roman Catholic fraternal societies.

Our sole purpose in life, dontcha know.

I thought he was trying to portray them as one and the same, if I have picked him up wrong then it's an error on my behalf.

I think I do.

We aren't talking about what the word sectarian (in isolation)means we are talking about sectarian bigotry ,that's 2 different things,

However a religious group that has a certain membership qualification that preaches religious supremacy and actively condemns and is opposed to another religion is a sectarian (bigoted) organisation.

Given that all sky fairy worshippers think that theirs is the only chosen path, then surely that would make them all supremacists?

That doesn't sound like any kind of national crisis to me, just anti-social behaviour where drink is more of a contributing factor than sectarianism. So by your admission sectarianism is basically just a footballing problem...

Omg

I'm not sure if you're being serious here

It's no even worth replying to you

If you seriously don't think sectarianism is a problem in Scotland you're mental

You go on about how equality/foodbanks etc are worse, guys like RedRob wouldn't vote for independence if it was GUARANTEED to solve or help all these problems purely because of his British Protestant religious/loyalist beliefs!!!!

Sectarianism is a huge problem in Scotland

A blind man could see that

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Are most orangemen even religious? Do they attend church every Sunday, study the bible and all that good stuff? Is there a criteria of sufficient religiosity that much be reached to attain membership, or will a union jack tattoo on the forearm suffice? Most just seem to be in it for the aggro every summer.

Sectarianism is massively overstated compared to things like sexism racism or homophobia, but it does exist and shouldn't be washed over, I struggle to think of a time I've heard sectarianism abuse away from a football context, other forms of discrimination are much more widespread.

But then I'm not from greater weegieland and the white heterosexual males there seem to want more reason to hate things different from themselves.