Glastonbury 2014

Bert Raccoon

So Glastonbury tickets go onsale again this Sunday at 9am. Must say I'm dreading ticket day as it can be an absolute nightmare but we're pretty organised so hopefully should get sorted. Anyone else on here trying?

Rumours going around for headliners so far are Elbow, Arcade Fire and Fleetwood Mac. Some would say that they're a pretty weak set of headliners but I would be over the moon with them especially if Arcade Fire played as IMO they're the best live act around. Seems a bit guitar heavy again this year headliner wise so I'd love to see someone like Daft Punk or Lady Gaga thrown into the mix but I really can't see it. Won't find anything out for months anyway but it's always interesting looking out for rumours and speculating.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This'll be my first year trying for tickets so I'm quite hopeful I'll get some.

As much as I'd love it I don't think Arcade Fire will headline, I think it'll end up being Kasabian/Elbow, Fleetwood Mac and Lady Gaga.

I don't think that'll be anywhere near to the three headliners btw. Fleetwood Mac will be right. Elbow will be there, but I'm thinking not as a headliner.

I'm thinking Arcade Fire, Fleetwood Mac and a big pop act with Elbow subbing either Arcade Fire or Fleetwood Mac. Depeche Mode were rumoured for a bit but that seems to have died away now. Supposedly it's three acts that haven't headlined yet so Kasabian could be in the mix as well.

I've done Glastonbury since 2003 (minus the fallow years of course) but I'm planning on giving it a miss next year. Some of the best experiences of my life have taken place at Worthy Farm including meeting my girlfriend there a few years back. I've seen many of my favourite bands (REM, Radiohead, Arcade Fire, The Flaming Lips and Blur amongst others) perform incredible sets that have reduced me to an emotional wreck as well as cementing existing friendships and making new ones whilst having a ball exploring the many different corners of Glastonbury.

However the past 3 festivals or so there's a number of things that I can't really be bothered with any more:

• The stress of getting a ticket 9 months in advance.
  • The amount of money involved (between tickets, travel and enough spending money to enjoy ourselves we spent nearly £1100 between two of us in 2013)
  • The time involved (the pre-planning for tickets and arranging meeting points for a group of 16 - 20 from all over the UK as well as the actual travel and the time off work)
  • The queues to get in and the race to get a decent pitch ever since the car parks opened the night before.
  • The amount of people onsite means that to see anything remotely popular these days you have to get there really early for a half decent spot and queues and bottlenecks seem to be getting worse (front right hand side of the Pyramid can be a really scary place during popular acts and Radiohead/Pulp at The Park in 2011 saw crazy numbers).
  • Social media has ruined a lot of the spontaneity. Glastonbury has all these secret little corners to stumble across but everywhere you looked now you see people checking Twitter and Facebook to see if they should be somewhere else in case Radiohead or Pulp (see 2011) are playing a secret set instead of making the most of the moment.
  • For me it just felt very samey to 2011 and nothing had really changed. Expected something fresh after the fallow year.

Ultimately the festival evolves with the times and the above things are my issues with the festival. It's me that feels the festival has lost some of its magic and it's me who is harking back to the "good old days" I had in my earlier years with rose tinted glasses. I can only imagine what the pre super fence festival goers made of the changes in 2002 and before that how the travellers felt when it became more mainstream.

I'd recommend it to anyone though as it's an amazing place and I have no doubts I'll be back again*; I just need sometime away from it.

*There's a good possibility I'll buckle on Sunday morning and be frantically attempting to get tickets for 2014 in case Arcade Fire do headline!

:thumsup2 Sorted.

Unlikely to be the Foo FIghters, they have not been since the Roskilde tragedy. Their gig in either 98 or 2000 got pretty hairy up front, real intense mosh pit.

Maybe I'm missing something here but it was Pearl Jam who played Roskilde when the accident happened.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Michael Eavis is addressing the Oxford Union tonight and has hinted that he might announce one of next year's headliners.

Who would everyone like?

I'd love for Bowie to headline the Saturday night. I've only seen him the once and that was in the SECC. He was brilliant but I reckon it might be a bit better on the Pyramid stage.

I see Michael Eavis is addressing the Oxford Union tonight and has hinted that he might announce one of next year's headliners.

Who would everyone like?

I'd love for Bowie to headline the Saturday night. I've only seen him the once and that was in the SECC. He was brilliant but I reckon it might be a bit better on the Pyramid stage.

I'd love for Bowie to play but I just don't see it happening. I'd be overjoyed if Arcade Fire were up there.

Archived