Scottish Independence

xbl

Because genocide is like corporation tax?

I expect he's intelligent to know that there are many, many elements that make up a tax regime and would look at the overall picture instead of focusing on one element and ignore all the rest. .

There are no other elements to focus on right now. The white Paper says the SG will look to streamline the tax system, it doesn;t explain practically how.

There are concrete proposals on CT however, clearly the SNP thought getting that was more important that priotising a transparent system.

No he didn't, he tried to score his usual petty points, if I was that desperate for a reassuring pat on the head I could post tons of similar stuff from NO, I don't know what's worse on here, the days where all the NO's piss off or the days they're here, far too much NO time on here is spent attempting to deflect or stifle the debate, I shouldn't really complain, I'm looking for us to sneak up on the rail rather than be upsides showing your position.

So he fails to distinguish...except when he does to score points.

And the campaign isn;t taking place on these boards. We're all just passing the time.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You defended the SNP's plans to decrease Corporation tax, despite "Nobel Prize winning" economist Joseph Stiglitz telling us that doing so widens inequality in society.

At the same time you've tried to paint yourself as a class warrior, interested in helping the poor.

And when have I said that I'm interested in long term CT cuts?

I post some of my thoughts on tax, fcuk all back, there is nobody on the planet that speaks for me 100%, rightly or wrongly I think for myself at all times, that's why I'm quite comfortable changing position on anything in an instant.

You are losing the plot here H_B. No professional economist is ever going to say 'reducing corporation tax is a bad idea' without there being any context, i.e. without a given rate of tax in a given country having been established as the context. We know he thinks the UK rate should not be reduced. It's a mature and fairly large economy, just s the USA is. We don't know what he thinks about an appropriate rate for a newly-independent Scotland.

As far as I can tell, Stiglitz has never argued for the decrease of CT anywhere. I don't think the special circumstances of an indy scotland would change this (my opinion of course) Indeed, he has argued against CT for the very reason the SNP are proposing it (investment)n

And for a practical example of just why this policy increases inequality :-

The Conservative government and special interest groups claim incessantly that cutting corporate income taxes is good for the economy and for individual Canadians. We have been led to believe that tax giveaways to corporations would lead companies to reinvest in research and development as well as machinery and staff training to boost productivity. This is supposed to stimulate economic growth and create better paying and more secure jobs. But that is not what has happened in Canada during the past decade.

The years of tax giveaways have, indeed, been good for business. Their after tax profit margins rose from 6.9 per cent in 2000 to 8.1 per cent in 2012, and now we know what they have been doing with the money. Between 2000 and 2012, the total cash reserves of private, non-financial private corporations in Canada grew from $182 to $541 billion, an increase of over 300 per cent. During the same period, CEO pay went sky-high. The average CEO compensation at Canada's largest non-financial corporations averaged $7.96 million in 2012.

You appear to assume that I haven't read the whole of that piece as well as lots of others.

You are losing the plot here H_B. No professional economist is ever going to say 'reducing corporation tax is a bad idea' without there being any context, i

So when Stiglitz states :-

`Some of you have been told that lowering tax rates on corporations will lead to more investment The fact is that’s not true. It is just a gift to the corporations increasing inequality in our society.”

He's not actually saying that :-

"lowering tax rates on corporations is just a gift to the corporations increasing inequality in our society.”

You appear to assume that I haven't read the whole of that piece as well as lots of others.

I couldn't care less what you have and have not read.

The facts are you are supportive of a right wing policy that the SNP proposes, purely because the SNP have proposed it.

Had Labour proposed this for the UK, you would have been dead set against it. Very probably using the exact same evidence you are ignoring here.

You defended the SNP's plans to decrease Corporation tax, despite "Nobel Prize winning" economist Joseph Stiglitz telling us that doing so widens inequality in society.

At the same time you've tried to paint yourself as a class warrior, interested in helping the poor.

Do you agree with Joseph Stiglitz ' views on CT? Yes or no?

Do you agree with his views on a currency union? Yes or no?

Do you agree with Joseph Stiglitz views on

Do you agree with Joseph Stiglitz ' views on CT? Yes or no?

Do you agree with his views on a currency union? Yes or no?

Do you agree with Joseph Stiglitz views on

Looks like you got a bit overexcited here :-

1) Yes.

2) What are his views on a currency union?

Looks like you got a bit overexcited here :-

1) Yes.

2) What are his views on a currency union?

Unless you have no self awareness at all, you must be starting to bore yourself by now?

No, he tried to quote a written piece that wasn't quite in the context of the video.

And the campaign isn;t taking place on these boards. We're all just passing the time.

It's taking place but not in a manner that's going to engage anyone that isn't already engaged, by design?

No, he tried to quote a written piece that wasn't quite in the context of the video.

Yeah? What was the context of the video?

Where was the speech given?

It's taking place but not in a manner that's going to engage anyone that isn't already engaged, by design?

How did the context change harvie's postion? is Harvie no in favour of a CT cut? When did this happen?

the campiagn is taking place here. If you are passionate about a Yes vote you should go canvassing

So what you're saying is that Joseph Stiglitz is right on one economic policy and wrong on another. Glad you can finally agree

I'm not sure what point you are making here.

Unlike the First Minister I have never attempted to set up "Nobel Prize Winning Economist" 'Joe' Stiglitz up as an economic guru and adviser to be listened to.

Hai Buddy!

So, was Willie Rennie misleading Parliament yesterday? Serious stuff if so......

If he said he knew for a fact that 98% of IDS's policies would be kept, then yes.

Next question.

Archived