Scottish Independence

xbl

1. You seem to have confused the words "instrumental" and "incremental"

2. The SNP Government at Holyrood had no bearing on the legislative timetable of the Scotland Act 2012. All three UK parties entered the 2010 election pledging to implement the key recommendations of the Calman Commission and the Coalition Government started to legislate within a matter of months of coming to office.

3. The SNP's victory in 2011 was irrelevant. Salmond tried to get additional concessions in 2011 off the back of his election victory in the Scotland Bill, threatening not to give legislative consent to it unless Westminster met his demands. Westminster refused to accede to all of his demands except to one about speeding up the delivery of borrowing powers, which it was already planning to do in some form. Hardly an act of appeasement.

So what you are saying is that the SNP were NOT in power at Hollyrood before 2011 so could have no relevance on the speed at which all the three UK partys pledged to bring it forward in their 2010 manifestos?

It wasnt the rise of the SNP at the time and then the (what was meant to be impossible) further rise of the SNP that prompted this pledge and then speed of delivery, just the love of Scottish devoloution?

Wanting to give the Scots the parliment that they wanted and that the Tory party thot that "would be bad for Scotland and would be bad for the rest of the UK"?

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barnettable bollocks.

Is anyone able to evidence us actually receiving extra money back for funding the Manchester CWG's, olympics, crossrail, etc and the numerous large infrastructure projects in London and the SE.

I want to see what we got back, for the 8.5% share we paid in.

How much are people in London and Manchester contributing to our CWG's or the new Forth crossing?

You seriously need to think about how you come across here Confi. This kind of post only pisses folk off and makes them more likely to go against you. Think about the effect your posts have!

Fair point, I'll take it on board.

So what you are saying is that the SNP were NOT in power at Hollyrood before 2011 so could have no relevance on the speed at which all the three UK partys pledged to bring it forward in their 2010 manifestos?

It wasnt the rise of the SNP at the time and then the (what was meant to be impossible) further rise of the SNP that prompted this pledge and then speed of delivery, just the love of Scottish devoloution?

Wanting to give the Scots the parliment that they wanted and that the Tory party thot that "would be bad for Scotland and would be bad for the rest of the UK"?

No, I'm not saying that. The point is, though, it can't have been a "sweetener to Scotland for having a Tory government" because when the SNP were in a minority at Holyrood... there was no Tory government!

Barnettable bollocks.

Is anyone able to evidence us actually receiving extra money back for funding the Manchester CWG's, olympics, crossrail, etc and the numerous large infrastructure projects in London and the SE.

I want to see what we got back, for the 8.5% share we paid in.

How much are people in London and Manchester contributing to our CWG's or the new Forth crossing?

Barnett is calculated across designated departmental spending. I'm sure if you wanted to do the actual research you'll find it for yourself.

You seriously need to think about how you come across here Confi. This kind of post only pisses folk off and makes them more likely to go against you. Think about the effect your posts have!

I doubt anyone takes anything he says too seriously.

No, I'm not saying that. The point is, though, it can't have been a "sweetener to Scotland for having a Tory government" because when the SNP were in a minority at Holyrood... there was no Tory government!

Barnett is calculated across designated departmental spending. I'm sure if you wanted to do the actual research you'll find it for yourself.

Nor a Scotland act 2012. So who takes the credit for delivering the Scotland act 2012?

Nor a Scotland act 2012. So who takes the credit for delivering the Scotland act 2012?

" Devolution, the Calman Commission, the Scotland Bill, the Edinburgh Agreement, all of this and more you have, is because Westminster parties are scared of the SNP. If you vote NO you massively change the balance of power and they will not only give you nothing, but will probably take powers away from the Scottish Parliament. "

Andrew Neil - Political Broadcaster and Journalist

Going to a debate tonight at the informatics building of the University of Edinburgh.

http://www.futureukandscotland.ac.uk/events/scottish-independence-referendum-entrepreneurship-debate

Decent line up and should be an interesting evening. Don't know if there are still seats but may be worth a look to anyone in Edinburgh who is interested.

The people who legislated for it.

That will be the tory party and their wee pals the libdems is it? I'm pretty sure that both of them have boasted that they delivered the Scotland act 2012.

Are they in the wrong for doing so?

" Devolution, the Calman Commission, the Scotland Bill, the Edinburgh Agreement, all of this and more you have, is because Westminster parties are scared of the SNP. If you vote NO you massively change the balance of power and they will not only give you nothing, but will probably take powers away from the Scottish Parliament. "

Andrew Neil - Political Broadcaster and Journalist

I thankyou.

That will be the tory party and their wee pals the libdems is it? I'm pretty sure that both of them have boasted that they delivered the Scotland act 2012.

Are they in the wrong for doing so?

Well yeah, although labour played a role in calman too,

And you can thank the SNP for seeing sense and passing it at Holyrood too, depsite their grumblings about it.

Archived