Scottish Independence

xbl

The Commonwealth Games are third rate. An absolute waste of our money by the Scottish Government.

I'm just interested to see how many of those who were up in arms about the London Olympics, are similarly enraged by the SG wasting our money on a school sports day.

The Commonwealth Games were brought to Glasgow by the Labour-run City Council, under Stephen Purcell. Not by the Scottish Government. The decision to put Glasgow forward as a candidate city was made in 2004, 3 years before the SNP took power at Holyrood. Nae luck mate.

This is like when people try to blame the SNP for the trams debacle, or the original golf course deal with Donald Trump, which went through in 2006 under Jack McConnell.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/mcconnell-broke-rules-on-163-300m-trump-golf-deal-1-1411242

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it has a net benefit in terms of revenue generated or if said revenues make infrastructure projects (needed ones) more viable than they would've been alone: Good.

If it doesn't: w**k.

That's all there is to it really. I suspect neither qualify for the 'Good' category but that's a total guess on my part.

Big lols at HB not being a nationalist though. This discussion was worth having for that bit of comedy.

The Commonwealth Games were brought to Glasgow by the Labour-run City Council, under Stephen Purcell. Not by the Scottish Government. The decision to put Glasgow forward as a candidate city was made in 2004, 3 years before the SNP took power at Holyrood. Nae luck mate.

It was a joint agency bid i believe, and in any case the Scottish Government are poicking up 80% of the tab.

Again, I have no problem with the Commonwealth games and think they are a good thing, but it's not being financed solely by GCC

I disagree with all things Commonwealth-related, but both the Commonwealth Games (and Ryder Cup) will certainly show off Scotland to large parts of the world and be a boost to our economy.

How many folk here that watched either the last Commonwealth Games / Ryder Cup and thought "Hmmm, Delhi / Chicago" looks like a good place to go?

Away from the games venues (mostly indoor now) and the golf course, outsiders generally see f*** all of the place.

How many folk here that watched either the last Commonwealth Games

A very good question.

I'm still hoping to be selected for our tennis team. I'll be disappointed if I don't get the nod.

Really. How many events did you attend? Also I would like you to provide evidence that this was a "big boost to the British economy", I would like to know the Net contribution to the British ecomony directly attributable to the Games themselves thanks.

I didn't attend any events. I know lots of people who did though. What does event attendance have to do with the Olympics being terrific?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/olympic-games-legacy-boosts-economy-by-billions

Maybe you should research this before making an arse of yourself yet again.

Oh dear. As Ad Lib says, and indeed told you some pages before, when someone else tried this tack :-

"To repeat, the Manchester Games was funded out of Sports England, the Treasury contributions to which were Barnettable."

We all should wait untill 99% of the population have no confidence in being an independent country before we try becoming an independent country. Is that when we will be "READY" ?

We'll be ready, when we're all reasonable enough to weigh up the pros and the cons and make an unprejudiced choice. Too many people right now just seem to blinkered by the idea of change, and going off in one at everyone that asks a question just personfies that.

We'll be ready, when we're all reasonable enough to weigh up the pros and the cons and make an unprejudiced choice. Too many people right now just seem to blinkered by the idea of change, and going off in one at everyone that asks a question just personfies that.

Question for you. When do you think we'll be ready if not now?

Oh dear, Rabbi Williams, oh dear.

Sounds to me like you've made your mind up.

I'd say an independent Scotland has a fighting chance of being a prosperous, fair country. As others have said, no one knows what's going to happen. No one on the Yes side is promising a land of milk and honey. But it will be our country, shaped for us, by us and not at the behest of a Westminster government that frankly could not care less about us.

I have enough faith in our country that I believe we will come out the other side a markedly better nation than that which is part of the UK. The question is, how many of us have the cojones to take this one chance that other countries have bled for?

I haven't made my mind up, I'm on the fence but I have a lot of doubts and questions. P&B is obviously the wrong place to go about asking them but I'll need answers from Salmond and Sturgeon before I could commit to independence.

I haven't made my mind up, I'm on the fence but I have a lot of doubts and questions. P&B is obviously the wrong place to go about asking them but I'll need answers from Salmond and Sturgeon before I could commit to independence.

Try 'Wings over Scotland' 'Newsnet Scotland' on-line and 'Sunday Herald' for hard copy.

Alex Salmond is a member on P&B, maybe message him a few questions :lol:

The internet is your friend. There are countless resources to help make your mind up, both for Yes and No.

What I would say is that I'd be VERY surprised if, having read up fully on all the facts, you decide to vote No.

So what you are really tryin to say is when labour, libdems and ukip get onboard and campaign for independence, then we will be "ready"?

This will most likely be the last time Scotland will get the chance in your lifetime. When we are all six feet under, will those who cant make an informed judgement be "ready" then?

Britans empire is no more. There are no more lands to conquer, no more natives to subjugate,and we really dont rule the waves.

When was the last time you watched the news and thot- theres that good ol british stiff upper lip?

Hanging on to a dead dream is by far worse than wanting change for whatever reason.

The internet is your friend. There are countless resources to help make your mind up, both for Yes and No.

What I would say is that I'd be VERY surprised if, having read up fully on all the facts, you decide to vote No.

You seriously need to think about how you come across here Confi. This kind of post only pisses folk off and makes them more likely to go against you. Think about the effect your posts have!

Oh dear. As Ad Lib says, and indeed told you some pages before, when someone else tried this tack :-

"To repeat, the Manchester Games was funded out of Sports England, the Treasury contributions to which were Barnettable."

Oh Dear,

Assume Ad Lib is correct without doing any research on the matter for yourself. Fail for both of you.

Funding and budget

12. The total operating budget for the Games is now just under £130 million, with funding provided by Manchester City Council, Sport England and the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.[28] Public funding for the capital investment in venues amounted to £135.5 million from Sport England and £40.75 million from Manchester City Council.[29] In July 2001, following the review conducted by Patrick Carter, the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport announced an extra funding package of £105 million.[30] This was in addition to the existing £10.5 million allocated by the Government to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies and an equivalent sum from MCC for staff costs.[31]

Source http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200102/cmselect/cmcumeds/842/84205.htm

Details of the extra money provided by the government is here

Also for the Manchester games, the BBC covered all the broadcasting costs. They are committed to not doing this for the Glasgow games.

Archived