Scottish Independence

xbl

Do BTUKOK have any genuine "ordinary people"?

Here's their latest one:

http://bettertogether.net/blog/entry/why-im-saying-no-thanks-kainde-manji

Kainde Manji.

BTUKOK have her down as "Kainde Manji is an equalities activist"

A quick look at her Linkedin tells you she had the following role in 2011:

Organiser, Scottish Parliament Elections

Labour Party

Born in Kenya.

December 12, 1963: : Kenyan independence day.

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was away on holiday last week, there was very little "yes" stickers or signs in peoples gardens or windows in Perth. Since I've returned they've appeared everywhere, quite a few can be seen on the Glasgow road as well as on the streets just off.

Have we truly hit a turning point, or is it a case of yes voters making more of a noise in the approach to the final hurdle?

I don't think there's going to be any watershed incident unless a mainstream poll shows a Yes lead. If that happens I can see things changing entirely, as the media will be literally fighting for their lives to endorse the right side before it's too late. Otherwise it'll continue to be painted the same way but with the polls getting increasingly tighter and the outcome being down to how far out the polls were.

The real watershed will be when one of the papers come out and support it. Not that I trust their opinions, or that they should be forgiven for their previous transgressions, the bottom line is that they will always support the side that benefits them, and if they see a backlash for supporting No when a Yes vote is delivered they will flip over in a heartbeat.

I don't think there's going to be any watershed incident unless a mainstream poll shows a Yes lead. If that happens I can see things changing entirely, as the media will be literally fighting for their lives to endorse the right side before it's too late. Otherwise it'll continue to be painted the same way but with the polls getting increasingly tighter and the outcome being down to how far out the polls were.

I made the point about quiet No voters - something H_B referred to as the Bradley effect.

I've noticed in company that it is Yes supporters who tend to be more vocal with No supporters tending to keep their heads down and saying very little or replying with a "I don't like talking about politics" line.

Personally, I've been honest about how and why I'm doing what I'm doing - my brother is eagerly awaiting that photo of my spolit ballot paper. He's a very hard Yes supporter, not surprising as he's a member of the SNP - and very active in social media. He understands my reasons.

I made the point about quiet No voters - something H_B referred to as the Bradley effect.

I've noticed in company that it is Yes supporters who tend to be more vocal with No supporters tending to keep their heads down and saying very little or replying with a "I don't like talking about politics" line.

Agreed. And it's often to avoid the pub bores people can't be arsed with.

There's a guy I know at work who adopts the "A No voter/undecided voter is just a Yes voter I haven't bored to tears for 3 hours" approach, therefore people deliberately tell him they are a Yes voter to avoid his dull speech and several hours of their lives they'll never get back.

Personally, I've been honest about how and why I'm doing what I'm doing - my brother is eagerly awaiting that photo of my spolit ballot paper. He's a very hard Yes supporter, not surprising as he's a member of the SNP - and very active in social media. He understands my reasons.

Why though? Embarrassment?

Why though? Embarrassment?

Having seen someone like my brother in action I can understand why - he can be a tenacious devil when he gets going - and some people don't particularly want to deal with that in the the pub when they are trying to relax. That being said he tends to pick and choose who he'll try and persuade - he knows that some people (like me) are not going to be persuaded at all. It still doesn't stop us discussing the issues and we have found agreement on some things.

I think they keep their heads down because they have nothing to offer I haven,t yet met one NO voter that can put forward a rational case for remaining an outpost of whats left of the Empire.

Surely they are answering their own question about which way they should vote then, if this is how they act?

If we don't get independence because a majority of people were of the "nananana not listening" brigade then it's going to be horrific.

Surely they are answering their own question about which way they should vote then, if this is how they act?

If we don't get independence because a majority of people were of the "nananana not listening" brigade then it's going to be horrific.

I don't think it's just that. Given that polls are showing that older voters tend to vote No it could partly be down to scepticism - general distrust of politicians who promise change but don't deliver.

You could lay a lot of that blame at the door of previous Labour governments.

Archived