Scotland's Oil

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh FFs Bud. Not like you to compare apples and pears. So talk me through how The MOD suppressed the oil potential of the Firth of Clyde/

I never said they did mate. But for all we know they may have, as unlikely as it is.

You seem to view the UK government's attitude to Scotland and her oil industry as benign.

I would argue McCrone categorically proves this is incorrect and provides a perfectly good reason to vote Yes.

"Scotland's Oil can be summed up in three words, discovered, extracted, squandered. "

Why is it shite?

As I already said earlier in this thread, to be the largest field in the world the resource base would have increase multiple times. This is massively unlikely - the geology of the Clair field is already reasonably well known. As it stands, the Clair field isn't even the biggest in BP's portfolio.

You'd also have to assume that no-one involved in the drilling, of which there would be many, would leak the information. In an environment whereby it is easier than ever to leak data , it is surely taking a massive risk to suppress it in such a clumsy fashion.

Also, there is no reason for David Cameron to actually fucking go to the Shetlands to hush things up. In fact, it would be the worst possible thing to do.

Finally, it is clearly just some lunatic making things up. Just read the bloody thing.

Only some Scottish people would try and downplay this, could you imagine the reaction in other countries if there was speculation like this, one of optimism and hope that this could be a major coup for the country, no here though... Unreal :lol:

As I already said earlier in this thread, to be the largest field in the world the resource base would have increase multiple times. This is massively unlikely - the geology of the Clair field is already reasonably well known. As it stands, the Clair field isn't even the biggest in BP's portfolio.You'd also have to assume that no-one involved in the drilling, of which there would be many, would leak the information. In an environment whereby it is easier than ever to leak data , it is surely taking a massive risk to suppress it in such a clumsy fashion.Also, there is no reason for David Cameron to actually fucking go to the Shetlands to hush things up. In fact, it would be the worst possible thing to do.Finally, it is clearly just some lunatic making things up. Just read the bloody thing.

The thing is this is not about Cameron. His reasons for a flying visit to Shetland will possibly never be known.

The real issue is that BP and other exploration firms have invested billions in these fields in the clear expectation that they are going to produce big. And for many decades.

That is not shite.

As I already said earlier in this thread, to be the largest field in the world the resource base would have increase multiple times. This is massively unlikely - the geology of the Clair field is already reasonably well known. As it stands, the Clair field isn't even the biggest in BP's portfolio.You'd also have to assume that no-one involved in the drilling, of which there would be many, would leak the information. In an environment whereby it is easier than ever to leak data , it is surely taking a massive risk to suppress it in such a clumsy fashion.Also, there is no reason for David Cameron to actually fucking go to the Shetlands to hush things up. In fact, it would be the worst possible thing to do.Finally, it is clearly just some lunatic making things up. Just read the bloody thing.

For something thats a load of pish, you dont half seem to have got yourself in a fluster over it.

To say you could not keep it quiet is just rediculous. If you have a work force under contract, you can hide anything.

" Reasonably well known ". Nothing new to discover? Nothing?

Not even progress in extraction or quality of oil?

Nothing says " National Security " so keep it quiet, like a face to face visit from the PM.

Why did DC go to Shetland then?

You seem to view the UK government's attitude to Scotland and her oil industry as benign.

May I go off on one? f**k I will anyway.

This idea of 'The UK Government' versus 'Scotland' is so passé. I almost can't believe that people these days would trott out this shite. Do folk still believe that the big bad UK (populated so much by Scots and sons of Scots) would make this distinction?

To compound your calumny you talk about, "Her oil industry". Whose? 'Big Oil' is truly global. Maybe the most global industry we have apart from banking. Leave "It's Scotland's Oil" to the 70s.

So just conveniently ignoring McCrone then? Sure we had Scots at Westminster then, didn't make a blind bit of difference.

I'd argue the O&G industry is more globalised than the banking sector but that's completely irrelevant, the industry still swells Westminster's coffers and an iScotland would leave a sizeable hole.

So just conveniently ignoring McCrone then? Sure we had Scots at Westminster then, didn't make a blind bit of difference.

I'd argue the O&G industry is more globalised than the banking sector but that's completely irrelevant, the industry still swells Westminster's coffers and an iScotland would leave a sizeable hole.

Naw. It was shite 40 years ago and is shite now. Similarly the 1974 independence debate (which was even more oil-centric than this one) was a farrago with Big Margo hectoring, "Scotland's Oil".

swells Westminster's coffers and an iScotland would leave a sizeable hole.

Agreed. Banking? O&G? A baw hair between them when it comes to globalisation. so I won't debate that.

I do chuckle at the, "swells Westminster's coffers" shite. Yes it does. It still will even if there is an 'Aye' vote. Please tell me that you are not naive enough to say that all of the tax revenue from the international oil companies who extract from the Scottish bit of the North Sea will have their taxes immediately sent to Edinburgh?

Is this the crass naivety upon which 'Aye' is built?

Naw. It was shite 40 years ago and is shite now. Similarly the 1974 independence debate (which was even more oil-centric than this one) was a farrago with Big Margo hectoring, "Scotland's Oil".

Agreed. Banking? O&G? A baw hair between them when it comes to globalisation. so I won't debate that.

I do chuckle at the, "swells Westminster's coffers" shite. Yes it does. It still will even if there is an 'Aye' vote. Please tell me that you are not naive enough to say that all of the tax revenue from the international oil companies who extract from the Scottish bit of the North Sea will have their taxes immediately sent to Edinburgh?

How exactly is it still going to swell Westminsters coffers after Scottish independence?

Please explain how it is naive to believe that money will go to the Scottish treasury?

"shite" :lol:

So McCrone wasn't classified as 'secret' and kept as such by successive UK governments then?

You're floundering here with your naivety chat when judged against your own posts.

How exactly is it still going to swell Westminsters coffers after Scottish independence?

Please explain how it is naive to believe that money will go to the Scottish treasury?

Most of the companies who take oil out of the North Sea aren't registered in Scotland.

So McCrone wasn't classified as 'secret' and kept as such by successive UK governments then?

No idea if it was or wasn't. However, using a report nae c**t has heard of and which is older than yer maw is pretty pathetic.

However, I don't support 'Aye' and am just discovering how fucking desperate your mob is.

Very simple although The Ayes hate this. There is no Scottish treasury. Oil companies have no contract with the non-existent treasury. Most are not registered in Scotland.

It is yet another imponderable in Slim Eck's "Och don't worry about that" smoke and mirrors campaign.

Archived