Scotland's Oil

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive highlighted the important bit,basically there aint enough drilling rigs around to fufill the exploration needs,you need a certain type for different depths

Are you saying that areas that are left to be explored are in deeper waters?

Are areas discovered previously in shallower waters not requiring such rigs?

Are you saying that areas that are left to be explored are in deeper waters?

Are areas discovered previously in shallower waters not requiring such rigs?

deep waters for definite,thats what the clair field is in,as for your other question without being to technical deep water drilling is a different challenge and older rigs arent up to it

Are there plans to build such rigs?

Perhaps a job for our shipyards?

South korea and singapore are fully booked,but there are parts that can be built here ie The link i posted earlier regarding ardisear

If there is less oil than thought then surely the that will affect the economy if it's Yes or No. UK has ran up over £1trillion debt as it is. Maybe if the Labour and Tories had been made to put forward a 25 year plan and every detail was dissected the Uk wouldn't be in the shit it's in now.

I think it's pretty sure to be a No vote. But I won't hold my breath on the press(voters) being so stringent in their examination of the manifestos for next years general election.

If there is less oil than thought then surely the that will affect the economy if it's Yes or No.

Oil is of greatly less significance to the much larger UK economy than it would be to Scotland.

Oil is of greatly less significance to the much larger UK economy than it would be to Scotland.

Conversely, the same oil money in a smaller economy, such as iScotland, would have a greater impact.

Even without oil, Scotland is the 3rd richest part of the UK after London and the SE, which embarrassingly enough came from Labour's Devolution Commission.

Even without oil, Scotland is the 3rd richest part of the UK after London and the SE, which embarrassingly enough came from Labour's Devolution Commission.

Why is that embarrassing?

I would suggest the term "much less significance" portrays a false impression. Less significant perhaps, but still hugely important to the UK.

Oil is a bonus. It has been squandered for the first 2/3rds of its lifespan.

Less significant perhaps, but still hugely important to the UK.

What percentage, on current value, is oil to the UK economy?

What percentage, on current value, would be oil to a putative iScottish economy?

What percentage, on current value, is oil to the UK economy?

What percentage, on current value, would be oil to a putative iScottish economy?

So does that mean if Scotland stays in UK oil revenue will make little difference. But if it goes alone oil revenue will make a big difference?

So does that mean if Scotland stays in UK oil revenue will make little difference. But if it goes alone oil revenue will make a big difference?

Well, it means an iScotland would be enormously reliant on oil revenue to pay the bills. The UK certainly isn't.

"Over the past five years the average annual tax revenue from oil and gas has been £9.4bn. This represents only 1.7% of onshore tax revenues for the UK in 2011-12 but 20% of onshore tax revenues for Scotland."

Professor David Bell noted that the volatility of oil-based tax revenues makes "longer term planning for public services … pretty fraught

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201213/ldselect/ldeconaf/152/15206.htm#note94

If there is less oil than thought then surely the that will affect the economy if it's Yes or No. UK has ran up over £1trillion debt as it is. Maybe if the Labour and Tories had been made to put forward a 25 year plan and every detail was dissected the Uk wouldn't be in the shit it's in now.

I think it's pretty sure to be a No vote. But I won't hold my breath on the press(voters) being so stringent in their examination of the manifestos for next years general election.

The issue isn't less oil but less production and, consequently, less tax income.

Whether ther is a Yes or No, no government should be banking on there being as much income as has previosuly been generated.

The issue isn't less oil but less production and, consequently, less tax income.

Whether ther is a Yes or No, no government should be banking on there being as much income as has previosuly been generated.

Who is banking on there being as much income from oil?

Archived