Scotland's Oil

Hey! Ho! Jambo!

And I take it you feel just as strongly about the OBR underestimating the level of oil reserves? In the interest of balance, I'd be interested to see your acceptance of this.

The OBR aren't the UK Government.

What did the OBR estimate for this period in the figures above incidentally?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all such a silly BBC no thanks spun argument. Its clearly just a tactic to deflect folk away from the social media buzz stories on the Clare ridge finds and Cameron's secret visit. The bias is now ridiculously blatent.

On the one hand, the Beeb promote the co-ordinated interventions by a NE Tory billionaire and the former chairman of the pro no CBI.

All this whilst virtually ignoring Donald MacKay. Where was his exclusive interview on reporting Scotland when he repudiated the Wood nonsense.

When the oil runs out. It runs out.

What matters is that we in Scotland make the most of what is left.

Absolutely this. It doesnt matter how much oil is left its what we do with what is remaining. Let Westminster squander it while continuing to run up huge debts or try and use it for the good of this country and its future generations.

Theres no guarantee we'll end up with any significant oil fund when it runs out but I'd rather we at least tried.

I suggest you have a look in a dictionary and try to reconcile these synonyms, but I have a suspicion that semantics is not your strong point. Then again what is???

Whatever you say it would be in the melting pot with all the other negotiations, that until now had a risk worth taking according to the separatists. A much smaller share of the oil wealth, even the haggis's exaggerated estimates would be to much for the voters to accept.

You could set fire to your answers, like lighting a fart.

An asset is something you posses, a resource is something you have access to. You own an asset, you dont own a resource.

HTH :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28926369

RGU take a pop at the OBR and claim that the O&G UK forecast is achievable.

The usual suspects will still try to downplay Scotland's oil. I found this particularly telling:

"There is no question that had Scotland been an independent country in 1975, say, that Scotland would be extremely wealthy now and there would be no national debt."

"There is no question that had Scotland been an independent country in 1975, say, that Scotland would be extremely wealthy now and there would be no national debt."

This is a ludicrous claim. No one can have any certainty about what an iScotland would have chosen as a budgetary plan over 40 years.

This is a ludicrous claim. No one can have any certainty about what an iScotland would have chosen as a budgetary plan over 40 years.

What is certain is that the UK have squandered the first half of oil revenues. Why allow them to squander the 2nd half ?

Hmm, who to believe, a Professor of petroleum accounting or an I_T goon?

Hmm, who to believe, a Professor of petroleum accounting or an I_T goon?

What experience do professors of petroleum accounting have in political decision making?

Government spending is a political decision. Anyone who purports to guarantee what an iScotland would have spent over the past 40 years is an idiot.

What experience do professors of petroleum accounting have in political decision making?

Government spending is a political decision. Anyone who purports to guarantee what an iScotland would have spent over the past 40 years is an idiot.

What experience do YOU have in political decision making?

Do you have any self awareness at all?

What experience do YOU have in political decision making?

I've about 30 years of watching governments spend our money. The belief that any series of governments will certainly spend within their means over a 40 year period is absolute lunacy.

I've about 30 years of watching governments spend our money. The belief that any series of governments will certainly spend within their means over a 40 year period is absolute lunacy.

Do you have any idea of what 40 years of oil tax revenue could have done for a country our size? I have a fair idea and if you think about it honestly, you would be hard pushed to claim we would be even remotely outwith our means.

Do you have any idea of what 40 years of oil tax revenue could have done for a country our size? I have a fair idea and if you think about it honestly, you would be hard pushed to claim we would be even remotely outwith our means.

Why? Two terms of a Labour government would be enough to build up debt in any financial climate, no matter the income.

Isn't he supposed to be on your side?

I don't have a "side". Better Together are nothing to do with me, nor does Alastair Darling represent my views.

Here's what UK Government civil servants thought would happen to an independent Scotland after 1975, as reported in the Tory-supporting pro-Union Telegraph:

They calculated that Scots’ average income would increase by up to 30 per cent per head

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/6240671/North-Sea-oil-gave-Scotland-massive-budget-surplus-say-Government-records.html

In terms of some of the claims made by BT and supporters, this wouldn't even appear on any ludicrous scale given that there is a possibility of it being true unlike the following:

Scotland is poorer than Pakistan

Scotland will have to re-negotiate 14,000 treaties

we won't have access to organ donations

No Doctor Who

Independence would dishonour those that gave their lives in WW1

We will be better off by £1400 thanks to the "Union Dividend"

Archived